Microsoft Explains Bungie's Non-Announcement At E3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Explains Bungie's Non-Announcement At E3

E3 [http://www.microsoft.com] this year, saying the company had an "embarrassment of riches" at the show and didn't want its big news watered down as a result.

A countdown on the Bungie website was set to end during the afternoon of July 16, at which point the developer would unveil "something exciting" at the show, presumed to be a new entry in the broke away [http://www.halo3.com] from Microsoft last year to become an independent developer, Microsoft retains control of Bungie's flagship game series.

"For the last several months, we've been building toward a reveal of something exciting that Bungie is working on. We were looking forward to sharing that with our fan community during the week of E3," Bungie President Harold Ryan said in the wake of the cancellation. "However, those plans were just changed by our publisher."

"We realize that many of our fans are disappointed by this turn of events; members of the Bungie team share that disappointment," he continued. "When the right time comes, we look forward to sharing this exciting announcement with you. Until then, we appreciate your continued support and patience."

That "right time" will come at a future "dedicated event," according to a report on Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.gamedaily.com/games/halo-wars/xbox-360/game-news/microsoft-explains-pulling-bungies-halo-project-from-e3] episodic content, Mattrick remained optimistic about Microsoft's showing at E3, saying, "Two big kahunas were left out of the show, and we were still able to deliver a strong performance."

kyouger

Jun 22, 2008
"An embarrassment of riches?" Good lord, you have to be kidding me. This is like sinking one of your own battleships in a heated battle because it's a brighter color than the rest. Seriously, what was Microsoft thinking? "Two big kahunas were left out of the show, and we were still able to deliver a strong performance." What... the... hell? Yeah, I agree that Microsoft won the press conference, but it would have been better by showing a new Halo! Honestly, I can't even begin to describe how hard Microsoft screwed the pooch with this one. Hopefully the fan backlash will be enough to show them the errors of their stupidity.

Jul 8, 2008
"Riches"? If you count FFXIII as a treasure than you need to ne curbstomped. This years E3 is probably a defanent sign that the video game industry is run by dipshits. I mean, I think it's fine that they want to get everyone into video games but if that means alienating the people that bought the systems in the first place to play hardcore titles than you prity much burnt that bridge.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Personally, M$/MS/MicroSoft/Micro$oft won with announcements but IMHO Sony/Sorny/$ony won with games as they even showed montages of their games and they didn't even put all of the exclusives in there!

I have to admit though, i am interested to see what this new (apparantly Halo related) project Bungie's working on. Though if it does turn out to be a Halo then my interest will plop down to 2.3.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
I'm just waiting for Bungie to announce a new game. They've got a good enough track record that I've got high hopes.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Well, they have the point. Halo Announcement will always sell, and personally I'd rather have people discussing Netflix/Primetime/New XBL than a bunch of fourteen year-olds screaming "OMG TEH HALOZ!".

Jul 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
HeyZeus_Ezekiel_Jesus said:
"Riches"? If you count FFXIII as a treasure than you need to ne curbstomped. This years E3 is probably a defanent sign that the video game industry is run by dipshits. I mean, I think it's fine that they want to get everyone into video games but if that means alienating the people that bought the systems in the first place to play hardcore titles than you prity much burnt that bridge.
We got MAG, God of War III, Killzone 2 footage, Resistance 2 footage, Infamous trailers, gamewplay and interviews, dude - what do you want?
Yeah, but I'm talking about Microsoft becuase I saw there's and 85% of it was social gaming shit.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
What dicks. If I was at Bungie I would not be very happy, I can't imagine how many fanbois they've had screaming in their Inbox/Forums (I'm actually a little afraid to look).

Anyways, I was disappointed. I love Halo but it is getting a bit stale at this point, so I was hoping for an original IP announcement.

Guess we'll have to keep waiting...

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I've been following Bungie for quite a while and they've gone from sci-fi spandex wearing shooters to tactical Molotov cocktail tossing dwarves to heavily armoured sci-fi shooters... so it has to be something in the medieval spandex realm of future possibilities.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
and pretending that the shared content was 360 exclusive (Fallout 3), and becaue Nintendo indicated they have given up even trying, and missing all the damn cool stuff Sony was showing off.
Did you miss the exclusive DLC part?

I'll care about stuff like MAG when I have a launch date and even then (cough home cough)

New Halo make me happy. Very happy. Unlike kittens with spikes that makes me angry.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
shatnershaman said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
and pretending that the shared content was 360 exclusive (Fallout 3), and becaue Nintendo indicated they have given up even trying, and missing all the damn cool stuff Sony was showing off.
Did you miss the exclusive DLC part?
At this point i wouldn't be surprised if that went over to the PS3. It would "broaden their audience" right? Or atleast make most of the audience happier instead of stupidly keeping it exclusive and not "make all their fans happy".

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
At this point i wouldn't be surprised if that went over to the PS3. It would "broaden their audience" right? Or atleast make most of the audience happier instead of stupidly keeping it exclusive and not "make all their fans happy".
I'll take the devs words over your speculation.