Former Wizards of the Coast Employee Charged With Stealing Rare Magic Cards

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Former Wizards of the Coast Employee Charged With Stealing Rare Magic Cards

Police have recovered Magic: The Gathering cards worth tens of thousands of dollars, after a selection of the boosted boosters were discovered up for sale at a tournament.

Donald J. Henry, a former employee at Wizards of the Coast, the company behind Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering, is facing felony charges after admitting to the theft of 200 rare Magic cards.

Wizards of the Coast noticed Henry's shady dealings after another employee noticed a vendor at a Magic tournament in Portland, Oregon, trying to sell the dozens of rare, promotional cards. This employee was able to confirm that the vendor was connected to Henry, who was fired in September after an investigation was launched. It didn't take long for Wizards to discover that Henry had made seventy trips to the storage locker where the cards were kept, far more visits than his job required.

Wizards of the Coast staff met with the vendor and were able to recover 1,753 cards with a value of just under $45,000. The total value of the stolen goods is thought to be much higher however, as the vendor had already sold some of the cards. Following his arrest, Henry admitted to stealing 200 of the cards, but prosecutors are alleging that he actually stole all of them.

As nefarious schemes go, this one ain't great, especially if the tournament in question was the Wizards of the Coast-backed Portland leg of the Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix [http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/event/grandprix/portland10]. It's possible, although seemingly unlikely, that Henry's vendor acquaintance didn't know the cards were stolen, and so didn't think anything of bringing them to the tournament, but if that is the case, it just shows how shaky Henry's plan was.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5716114/it-takes-a-wizard-to-steal-45000-worth-of-magic-cards?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+kotaku/full+(Kotaku)]

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
I'm curious as to the specifics of what the cards stolen were. The article implies they were not just standard cards but "rare, promotional cards". I know of very few promo cards that sell for very much, so I wonder what these ones were.

I also find it unlikely that the vendor didn't at least suspect they were stolen. If my "friend" who worked for WOTC came in with 2,000 promos he wanted to sell, I'd be very concerned that they might have "fallen off the truck". But maybe that's just me.

Feb 13, 2008
I thought it was more amusing when the "Black Orchid" auction at Continuum (I think) was auctioned to a non-Magic player and he burnt it on stage. ;) £600 to charity though.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I thought it was more amusing when the "Black Orchid" auction at Continuum (I think) was auctioned to a non-Magic player and he burnt it on stage. ;) £600 to charity though.
That's quite funny, since there's a legend from the days of mad tulip speculation in the 1600s of someone who bought and destroyed an incredibly rare black tulip. (Why? Because a unique thing is far more valuable than a very rare thing, and he had the only other one in existence.)

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
At least he didn't steal a signed alpha Black Lotus, that would've lost them in excess of $100000.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
At least he didn't steal a signed alpha Black Lotus, that would've lost them in excess of $100000.
It's funny how my math teacher had that card and traded it for some worm cards. Not signed of course.

OT:So they were 45,000 dollars for their worth? Well that's weird considering they are basically cut out pieces of cardboard with some fancy pictures.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
OT:So they were 45,000 dollars for their worth? Well that's weird considering they are basically cut out pieces of cardboard with some fancy pictures.
I've got this green piece of paper with a picture of the Queen on it and if I give it to someone they'll let me walk out of their store with $20 worth of stuff and not call the cops. And it's not a very good picture of the Queen, even.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
ninjajoeman said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
It's funny how my math teacher had that card and traded it for some worm cards. Not signed of course.
Shit! Seriously? I have a shitload of Magic cards, but even I don't have one of those!

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
ninjajoeman said:
I've got this green piece of paper with a picture of the Queen on it and if I give it to someone they'll let me walk out of their store with $20 worth of stuff and not call the cops. And it's not a very good picture of the Queen, even.
To be honest I still find that weird. Its something that shows value but itself is not worth anything.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
To be honest I still find that weird. Its something that shows value but itself is not worth anything.
Vast improvement over the barter system, though you'll find people willing to argue about the gold standard until the cows come home. But what it comes down to is that a lot of value is created simply by convincing people to pay a certain amount for something. See also:

The tulip mania I mentioned.
Beanie Babies.
Baseball cards.
Comic books.
The stock market.
Jewelery.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
ninjajoeman said:
Vast improvement over the barter system, though you'll find people willing to argue about the gold standard until the cows come home. But what it comes down to is that a lot of value is created simply by convincing people to pay a certain amount for something. See also:

The tulip mania I mentioned.
Beanie Babies.
Baseball cards.
Comic books.
The stock market.
Jewelery.
Well technically gold is a better conducter then copper. I do see what your saying, its just cards are banned from our school because of there gambling potential because how much they are worth.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
dragontiers said:
I'm curious as to the specifics of what the cards stolen were. The article implies they were not just standard cards but "rare, promotional cards". I know of very few promo cards that sell for very much, so I wonder what these ones were.
If I had to guess I'd say Judge promos. Older and/or more powerful cards with unique art, foil treatment, and a DCI mark. Often they'll do something else special like a new artifact in the old brown card frame, or vice-versa. Wizards prints up a few to "pay" judges (who work for free) at Pro Tours.

Wheel of Fortune [http://www.magiccards.info/query?q=!Wheel+of+Fortune]
Wasteland [http://www.magiccards.info/jr/en/55.html]
Sinkhole [http://www.magiccards.info/jr/en/58.html]
Land Tax [http://www.magiccards.info/jr/en/52.html]

Unlike your Mox/Black Lotus/etc old cards, Wizards knew these would be valuable when they made them so they intentionally printed extra and keep them around. And since they can go for $100 or more in some cases, that would make them good theft targets. (But of course hard to liquidate.)

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Amarsir said:
dragontiers said:
If I had to guess I'd say Judge promos. Older and/or more powerful cards with unique art, foil treatment, and a DCI mark. Often they'll do something else special like a new artifact in the old brown card frame, or vice-versa. Wizards prints up a few to "pay" judges (who work for free) at Pro Tours.

Wheel of Fortune [http://www.magiccards.info/query?q=!Wheel+of+Fortune]
Wasteland [http://www.magiccards.info/jr/en/55.html]
Sinkhole [http://www.magiccards.info/jr/en/58.html]
Land Tax [http://www.magiccards.info/jr/en/52.html]

Unlike your Mox/Black Lotus/etc old cards, Wizards knew these would be valuable when they made them so they intentionally printed extra and keep them around. And since they can go for $100 or more in some cases, that would make them good theft targets. (But of course hard to liquidate.)
I'd forgotten about Judge promos. The only valuable "promos" I could think of were the ones Richard Garfield mad when he proposed/had children, and that one Worlds prize that was actually part of the statue. Those things are so rare, though, as it would be way too suspicious if anyone had multiples to sell.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Seriously? Wow is there any video of it do you know?

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Hehe, card games brings back some happy memories.

I used to do pokemon cards, back when I was 8, but I didn't have very many good ones.

A few lies, some cons, and some trades later...

Many people thought they'd ended up with a great deal when they traded away their precious "shinies". Even from that age I've liked shiny things, and pokemon cards were the in thing, so I pretty much garnered every one I could find by convincing people they wanted my crappy cards.

I suppose it wouldn't be wrong to say I'm proud of what I did, naturally given the choice I wouldn't do it again (8 year old me had even more trouble with morality than I do, or at least applying it), but I can say that the collection I procured is going to buy me my first car ^^

tawmus

Apr 28, 2010
Magic cards still worth money? Any idea what a complete set of dual lands from 3rd are worth? Not like I'd sell them, but they were a total pain in the ass to collect 10 years ago.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
tawmus said:
Magic cards still worth money? Any idea what a complete set of dual lands from 3rd are worth? Not like I'd sell them, but they were a total pain in the ass to collect 10 years ago.
On average, Revised duals are worth about $40-75 each depending on type and condition. So a collectors set, $500. Playset, $2000.

Sure about not selling them? :) History suggests they'll keep going up, though on the other hand the appeal is largely due to the Legacy format, and rumor has it there may be a new format in the works which cuts out anything after 5th Edition/Mercadian Masques. If that happens Legacy's huge popularity would decline and prices might too.