BioShock Novel Resurfaces for March Release

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioShock Novel Resurfaces for March Release

The BioShock novel, telling the history of Rapture, has been re-tooled and is ready to go.

In May 2009, Tor Books BioShock [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91977-BioShock-Novel-Coming-This-Year] novel later in the year. Those plans never came to fruition, and the novel went AWOL for a while, but it's reappeared and is scheduled for release on March 1, 2011.

BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Rapture-John-Shirley/dp/0765324849] could be incorporated into the tale, requiring author John Shirley to add another 30,000 words to its text. The apparently now thicker novel's premise is the history of Andrew Ryan's Rapture, the city he built under the sea to escape from government, religion, and censorship.

In BioShock, that city pretty much went to hell, and BioShock: Rapture may fill in some of the blanks about how that happened. It'll also hopefully reveal how Ryan was able to build the massive Rapture under the sea, because that seems like a construction nightmare.

Irrational Games head Ken Levine is currently working on have lower prices [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Mac/dp/B002I0KOSI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293979137&sr=8-3].

We aren't going to be able to find out Rapture's history from Andrew Ryan anymore, thanks to his golfing accident, so BioShock fans will have to rely on this novel instead. I'm not normally into books based on games, but the world of BioShock was interesting enough that I just might pick this one up myself.

Source: Big Download [http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/01/01/biohock-prose-novel-now-scheduled-for-march-2011-release/]

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I really, really liked and I am really, really interested in the Bioshock universe. No matter if it's a book based on a game universe, I'll be picking this up.

Even if it's badly-written, it's still Bioshock. Can't argue with that.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Very interested indeed...now to hope that this book will end up at retailers here and not only on websites...

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I hope this book won't be an endless string of references to the events in the game just to remind the reader that, yes indeed, this is set in Rapture. I was sorely turned off of the Mass Effect books for that reason.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Probably going to grab the paperback version, but that harcover looks so nice...

Either way, I've always said that BioShock would make a great book. I don't normally read books based on video games, but I'll definitely give this one a shot.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
This is something that I will most likely pick put& I've got enough books on my shelf upkeep me going till it's released in March

-M

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I loved Andrew Ryan as a character. Hard to dislike that passion and charisma he had. Will definitely be picking this up.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
I've always liked game novels, and the Bioshock universe is fascinating, so I'll definitely be giving this a go.
Am I the only one who laughed at Andrew Ryan's Golfing Incident?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This book is probably going to be very depressing. Listening to the radio logs, the characters, and simply looking at the detail in Bioshock means that this book can't possibly have any sign of hope. Of course, that's not saying the book will be bad. I may pick it up.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Is it bad that the first thing I saw was the author's name, and all I could think of was this;

Anyway, that's cool, but I can't help but feel a bit pessimistic about it. I mean, do we really want to know how Rapture was built? Doesn't that make it all the more mysterious? I like how everything is explained in game, but certain key things are left out to make Rapture a more "magical" place I guess you could say.

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
Rigs83 said:
Sorry couldn't resist

[/youtube]
That takes me back. :)

OT: I very interested in the world of Bioshock ever since playing the first one. If this adds to an already epic story then I will probably buy it as well. It'd be the first book I've bought in a long time.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Actually looks interesting. I'll pick it up maybe from the Library or from barnes & noble if I really feel like reading it again and again.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I want. Hopefully, this will end up in my 'Uberly awesome' category of video game based books that include Perfect Dark: Initial Vector, Perfect Dark: Second Front, and Mass Effect: Ascension, and not in the 'Could Have Been Better' category with Fable: The Balverine Order, Mass Effect: Revelation or the 'Why Did I Even Bother?' category with Mass Effect: Retribution, Assassin's Creed: Renaissance.