Sony Doesn't Need Senior Citizens

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony Doesn't Need Senior Citizens

The Playstation parent isn't seeking out senior citizens or any other casual gamer group to boost sales.

Instead of expanding its user base, Sony Computer Entertainment America's Scott Steinberg says his company is focusing on converting its Playstation 2 owners to the next Sony system.

"I think the reality is that we will win hands-down if we convert the PS2 owners to PS3. When we look at the total available market, we salivate at the notion of converting our existing PS2 universe," stated Steinberg. "Every million units we drop into the PS2 is an annuity that's going to pay out later on for PS3 upgrades, and we've got some interesting ideas on how to reach out to those PS2 owners in the US and convert them up."

Steinberg denied that Sony is bringing any motion controller to the PS3.

"I think the notion of that controller is a non-trivial point that you've brought up, that control and that familiarity is like comfort food - from my perspective, we lead, we don't follow," he said. "And as a brand, Nintendo's got their thing, and we're not trying to get the senior citizen group to get into gaming, we're looking to convert the PS2 owners and the tens of millions of installed base that were playing DVDs and playing games on their PS2, to now play Blu-ray movies and Blu-ray games with their PS3."

Continuing, Steinberg talked about leading the industry with consoles with long lifespans.

He reiterated, "We would look at technology that helped enable that, as oppose to trying to iterate or be derivative off of somebody else's vision," he said. "Ten years - it goes back to our mantra of ten years. Technology that's associated with the PlayStation has to have future-proof qualities to it."

Although arguably misguided, Steinberg has remained consistent in his belief that the Wii will disappoint developers.

A year ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/72946], Steinberg commented, "The Wii will start to look really dated in a couple years when developers get more value from the 360 and learn more and more about the PlayStation 3. ... How much value can developers and creative folks get out of this wrist motion two years from now, or 5 years from now, or 10 years from now?"

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-we-don-t-need-the-senior-citizen-gamers]

raigan

Feb 10, 2007
"we've got some interesting ideas on how to reach out to those PS2 owners in the US and convert them up."

How about backwards compatibility, like there was until you scrapped the 60GB SKU?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
raigan said:
"we've got some interesting ideas on how to reach out to those PS2 owners in the US and convert them up."

How about backwards compatibility, like there was until you scrapped the 60GB SKU?
It's still in the current 80GB bundles in software emulation form. If you are unsure, go here and type in the title you are interested in playing:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I'm not sure if they will keep a top end model with software compat for the future, but I hope they do. My 60GB has played everything (roughly 45 titles) I've thrown at it so far. This includes later releases like FFXII and SingStar.

On the titular topic, it's a bit harsh to focus just on the red meat pull quote about seniors, in my opinion. Basically Sony is affirming it's traditional position in comparison to Nintendo: Let Nintendo recruit gamers and grow the market, Sony will serve those that either outgrow or crave variety compared to Nintendo's offerings. They grow their own version of a casual market with titles like the above mentioned SingStar and Buzz. They traditionally have a third party ecosystem that addresses a wide spectrum of gamers. Just because SCE doesn't seek a specific demographic in its 3 territories doesn't necessarily mean that those potential customers won't be served by someone on the platform. It simply means that targeted appeal at either end of the demographic spectrum isn't what SCE does.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
It's just not going to happen. Sony has made too many mistakes, overpricing many PS2 owners out... how many PS2 sales are from party games like Singstar? I know far too many owners of pink PS2s here in the UK. Guess which console they're talking about buying? Hint: it has a Balance Board available for it.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
It's just not going to happen. Sony has made too many mistakes, overpricing many PS2 owners out... how many PS2 sales are from party games like Singstar? I know far too many owners of pink PS2s here in the UK. Guess which console they're talking about buying? Hint: it has a Balance Board available for it.
And the lions share of those SingStar sales were on the slim revision bundles, 6+ years into the life-cycle when they were making a profit on each unit. So they might not convert them at the front end of the cycle; they still are targeting them for a later (perhaps 6+ years in?) product cycle somewhere in the 10 year life of the platform.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
BobisOnlyBob said:
-but isn't that the "senior citizen" crowd?

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Tolkienfanatic said:
Props to Sony for not sinking down to the level of retarded-ness of the other big two.
Seconded.
If they can really get the PS3 rolling to be as potent as the almighty ps2 is, then they've got it made and everyone knows it. The PS2 is still having games come out for it and it's still selling like hotcakes even though all these "next gen olololol" systems are out. Even more telling is that once in a blue moon the rare ps2 title will smack the ever-loving bejeezus out of the next gen crowd. God of War 2 anyone?

The PS3 is going to be this generation of console wars late bloomer, much like the xbox was until Halo came out and practically performed a coup de etat on system wars top slot.

Personally, when either my ps2 craps out on me (which may be never, these things are almost Game Boy like in how much you can beat the shit out of them) or when I get some spare cash that I feel like turning into a new toy (new gaming laptop first though!), I do plan on getting a PS3. After all, no way in hell am I missing out on God of War 3.

Who knows, maybe the gaming gods will smile upon us and rather than duke it out, the big companies will work together to put out the WiiStation 720 next time around :D.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Tolkienfanatic said:
Props to Sony for not sinking down to the level of retarded-ness of the other big two.
Well, I don't know how well Microsoft is doing at really appealing to the casual games market. It seems like MS is more about appealing to the "games market" and has included a successful online distribution model of more casual styled games (being Xbox Live Arcade). And the Wii has cornered a huge monetary section in which they have expanded the gaming pie for everyone by sinking to this "retarded" level. Granted, they have gobbled down most of that pie expansion for themselves, but still...

This article highlights more of a responsive strategy. If Sony can get every PS2 owner on the planet to buy a PS3, successful strategy. It is unlikely they could expand into the casual market with the current system (price, tech, etc.) seeing as how their original market was to corner the 1337 technology buff crowd (expanding their gamer market, who was supposed to buy their system anyway)

When it came down to the reality of most PS2 owners not being taken with what the PS3 was selling they had to switch their market focus to capturing their previous market (which did not happen intrinsically)

I feel bad for the PS3, it really is about as true a tragedy as a system has ever faced. Hey, at least BluRay won over HDDVD, at least the fanboys and girls can post about how much that proves that the PS3 is the best system in the world.

Oh, and so everyone knows why the PS2 still has games coming out for it. It's not so much that the PS2 is so awesome, it's because the PS3 so royally dropped the ball.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
looks like we have a few SONY fanboys here(not suprised). We get it already, everybody had a PS2, but that doesn't mean PS3 has the same flare. That was the last gen now we're on present gen consoles and if games are coming out for PS2 past it's time that's a sign Sony's in trouble.

Nintendo is unfortunately winning with their games targeted at "everybody"(as in casual Fools)campaign, this would be fine if Nintendo at least made an effort to serve everyone the right way, That's what Microsoft And Sony have above Nintendo at this point.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
looks like we have a few SONY fanboys here(not suprised). We get it already, everybody had a PS2, but that doesn't mean PS3 has the same flare. That was the last gen now we're on present gen consoles and if games are coming out for PS2 past it's time that's a sign Sony's in trouble.
Hit the nail on the head there. There is a benefit to this though, which the Sony fanboy crowd will totally miss:

The failures of this system will lead to true innovation in the next (I am predicting) much like how the Game Cube's royal muckaruck lead to the Wii which lead to a stinkload of money for Nintendo. Remember the Game Cube? It rendered water really well.

I am intrigued and eagerly anticipating the next generation just because of the steps SOny will need to take to get back to the high ground. What will the PS4 be like? I don't know... exciting!

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
mark_n_b said:
fluffylandmine said:
Hit the nail on the head there. There is a benefit to this though, which the Sony fanboy crowd will totally miss:

The failures of this system will lead to true innovation in the next (I am predicting) much like how the Game Cube's royal muckaruck lead to the Wii which lead to a stinkload of money for Nintendo. Remember the Game Cube? It rendered water really well.

I am intrigued and eagerly anticipating the next generation just because of the steps SOny will need to take to get back to the high ground. What will the PS4 be like? I don't know... exciting!
i agree and i must say when Microsoft's crazy crap console comes out and it's predecesor innovates things will probably get a little cookey seeing as the're next after Sony has had it's turn.

And who knows by then Maybe a new challenger will step up with a hip new console that innovates on it's own.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Ironically this thread has got me incredibly pumped about the game industry (doesn't happen often, I'm usually the take it stride sort)

Auuuuggh... So Awesome!

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
looks like we have a few SONY fanboys here(not suprised).
For the record I'm a PC fanboy. My primary console is a tricked out laptop. :D

I'm honestly kinda expecting E.T. 2 to wreck the next batch of consoles. The gaming industry is starting to get that bloated "not-so-fresh" smell again.

slyder35

Jan 16, 2008
3 words.....
Little
Big
Planet

Watch PS3 sales go crazy post-launch.

ps i'm a PC gamer.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
TOGSolid said:
The PS3 is going to be this generation of console wars late bloomer, much like the Xbox was until Halo came out and practically performed a coup d'etat on system wars top slot.
...You're joking, right? The Xbox barely outsold the pitiful GameCube and had less than a fifth of the sales of the PS2.

As for the PS3, it's going to fail in this generation because now, in the Facebook era, everything is about social interactions. The Wii has the best local multiplayer games, and the Xbox 360 has the best online support. The PS3, on the other hand, has an image of being the console for social rejects. Thus, it probably won't sell so well.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
Continuing, Steinberg talked about leading the industry with consoles with long lifespans.
They keep saying that, I don't think it means what they think it means.

PEWPEWGreenLaser

Jul 23, 2008
mark_n_b said:
PC != console
Your point? You started talking about fanboys and they decided to inform you that they game on PCs.

At any rate, I'm really intrigued by this quote "The failures of this system will lead to true innovation in the next (I am predicting) much like how the Game Cube's royal muckaruck lead to the Wii which lead to a stinkload of money for Nintendo. Remember the Game Cube? It rendered water really well."

The failures of this system? How is the system a failure? It's still got 7 years left in it's life cycle. Let's wait to write the outcome of this console "war" until it's actually over. Like yanno... after the next batch come out.