The Escapist: Now With Badges!

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
The Escapist: Now With Badges!

We like to think that visiting The Escapist is its own reward, but to sweeten the deal, we're throwing in a bit of loot: badges.

Take a peek in the forums and you may see that a few badges have already popped up here and there. The four badges you've earned most recently will display beneath your avatar on forum posts; to see all of the badges you've earned, just check out your profile.

There are many ways to earn badges, like posting in the forums, participating in events, making friends, and contributing articles. We're not going to tell you how to earn all badges, though, that's for you to discover. (Here's a tip: mousing over a badge reveals not just the badge name, but also how to earn it ... in most cases.)

Badges will also play a big part in the GamerLympics, which kick off tomorrow. The gold, silver, and bronze medals you'll be earning will show up as event-specific badges, letting the entire community know of your digital athletic prowess.

Badges aren't just terribly stylish, however, they also earn you points. We're not telling you what those points are good for just yet, but we're pretty sure you'll like it. Look for more information on that in the weeks to come.

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for badges you'd like to see, let us know!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Badges? Badges!? We don't need no stink- nah, I'll stop it there.

Could be interesting to see what pops up. Thanks guys!

-- Steve

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Whaaaa.... I'm shocked, though not appauled. I'm interested to see what's available.

EDIT:Hey! This is my 1234th post... well I think it's interesting.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Humm, sounds nice. Though...you aren't worried about any possible negative side effects? Just, I can recall a few enough forums where people just posted any old thing just for post counts -without- the incentive to do so...but, just looking at the conditions, I'm guessing having someone reply 50 times to their own post wouldn't really be much of an issue, and no doubt result in a suspension or ban.

So, you won't say -what- they all are...so...any chance on finding out how -many- there are? ^^' Also, do you just keep the last four badges, or is there a page where all the badges you get accumulate. And, I'll assume you only get one badge per earning yup?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I wonder if they'll have a "Good Citizen" badge for those of us who've never been banned or put on probation. I've so far managed 1236 posts without being banned or put on probation and I think that's an achievement.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Human Bomb said:
What about a badge for best use of strikeout tag being a good poster?
There will be badges awarded by staff :p

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
I'm not sure if I should be disturbed by how much enjoyment I get out of seeing a badge under my name.

Still, nifty idea. I'm also intrigued by your talk of GamerLympics and wish to hear more.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The thing that weirds me out is noting just how much of our Viewing Data The Escapist staff have been tracking.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
The thing that weirds me out is noting just how much of our Viewing Data The Escapist staff have been tracking.
The staff are everywhere! Run while you still can!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
PedroSteckecilo said:
It's not that we track it so much as all the posts are in our database. At that point it's just writing interesting queries to pull statistics. I like statistics.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
Virgil said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
It's not that we track it so much as all the posts are in our database. At that point it's just writing interesting queries to pull statistics. I like statistics.
Our database also tells me you like sweet honey-coated Golden Grahams for breakfast.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Can we use the points to buy moonshine and go frog gigging? Ya'll should at least have a custom 'Escapist Frog Gigger' give away.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
You should make a badge for the most promiscuous use of 1337-5P34K. Or a Grammar badge! Yaaaay!

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Found a bug already! When trying to look at the badges in somebodys profile I found that one of the "add squares got in the way of the pop-up. (Using Opera)

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
damn, these badges are horribly addictive. I'm intrigued to know how you get some of them though. (post in more than 10 forums?)