Hands-on: Magicka Preview

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hands-on: Magicka Preview

An innovative magic system coupled with hilarious friendly-fire fun.

Read Full Article

Apr 25, 2009
Hey what a great and innovative idea!!

A round of applause for these guys!

(Although perhaps some cartoonier graphics might have lent more to the comedic and light-hearted aesthetic, this does look like a very interesting game)

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
It's a cool system to implement. Though, I'd love to see it used as a puzzle-solving system. An adventure game where element-based magic and mixtures of those magics applied in different ways would be kick ass.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I was torn over wether or not to get this for PC, but I've just seen that it's also coming to XBLA tomorrow. I am a very happy individual.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Oooh, this looks shiny. The magic mixing system kinda reminds me of Quest 64 but without all that unfinished game bollocks.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
Xlr8DETH said:
im so sad... i thought this was a skyrim article :(
Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

-Anyway, the game looks fun. However, I really want a demo of sort before spending on it.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
I thought and told a friend about my idea, which was extremly close to this magic system...

I demand money!

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Just spotted this on Steam a moment ago, looks very worth the money. It's not an entirely original casting system, but it's a rare one and it sounds to be brilliantly done.

I dare say I'll be picking this one up.

EDIT: Ooh, a demo. I approve.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
EmperorZuma said:
Xlr8DETH said:
im so sad... i thought this was a skyrim article :(
Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

-Anyway, the game looks fun. However, I really want a demo of sort before spending on it.
If you're planning on PC not 360 version there is a demo on Steam. I'm downloading it right now. Yeah, demo is already available, it's available to buy on Steam in 11 hours.
Gotta say, the trailer doesn't show off the innovation and creativity that's obvious just from your description... They should make another one.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Just played the demo. It actually seems pretty difficult with just one player, but it's a whole mess of fun. Most definitely gonna shell out $10 for it after I catch some Z's.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Fightgarr said:
It's a cool system to implement. Though, I'd love to see it used as a puzzle-solving system. An adventure game where element-based magic and mixtures of those magics applied in different ways would be kick ass.
There are puzzles. There's places where you have to combine different magics to active generators and stuff. (Lightning + arcane gives a lightning beam, using lightning AOE to activate 2 generators simultaneously.)

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
This looks fantastic. And made by only two guys it said? Keep these single digit team productions coming, cause they're coming awesome these days!

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
steeple said:
I thought and told a friend about my idea, which was extremly close to this magic system...

I demand money!
I have the exact same feeling. i guess great minds think alike?
also: http://xkcd.com/827/