290: Thanks For all the Fish

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Thanks For all the Fish

Sega's bizarre Dreamcast game Seaman simulated what it would be like to have a pet that kind of hated you.

Read Full Article

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Watched a video about this on Screwattack/gametrailers some time ago

weirdest game EVER, I have no idea what they were thinking....interesting though

CactiComplex

Jan 22, 2011
I think... I want one of those fish thingies?

That game is so utterly bizarre I can't even begin to comprehend the thought behind it. Does that make it genius or just plain weird?

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
Sounds creepy, the coelocanth comment brought me back to Vertebrate Zoology screaming though.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
i bought this game for me and a friend when it was sorta new. brilliant experience too. it only wanted to talk about an hour a day before it tell you it was done with you and to leave it alone.

not a game, per se, but a fascinating experience and one i'm glad to have had. it really stuck with me.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
I advise watching the 'Messing With Seaman' series on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MqvIHxkQo

It's quite hilarious.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
...eventually they'll be ready to mate...One swims overtop another, and the bobbing flagella that protrude from their heads schlup together to form a continuous hose.
Wait, so that thing on its forehead... it would actually be correct to call Seaman a 'dickhead'!

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Haakong said:
How the hell they got to publish this as a buyable product baffles me.... We have so many great games that gets flushed down the drain, but this bizarre thing gets through? Baffled, I tell you! Baffled!
It's actually inadvisable to flush seamen down the drain. They end up in the sewers, you see, and they keep on growing. And growing.

I hear they feed on the alligators down there.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Oh man, it's been a while since I've seen anyone talk about that game (if you can really call it a game). While I've always know about the whole double entendre/creepy man-fish abomination that you 'converse' with angles, I wasn't aware that the game lampshades the sexual innuendo in the title, or that they reproduced like that (shudder).

So yay learning? Only not really, because now I just have additional nightmare fuel, darn it all.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
IAmTheVoid said:
I advise watching the 'Messing With Seaman' series on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MqvIHxkQo

It's quite hilarious.
"Put this tongue in that mouth? I don't think so"

What a messed up game!

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
*snicker* Geez this is utterly hilarious! Thank you this was enjoyable to read, if not totally outlandish

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I only read this article because the strange fish/man creatures on the main page were really creeping me out... now I've watched these things on Youtube and I doubt I'll ever be the same again... thanks Escapist, thanks a bunch!

I kid, I kid! But seriously, who thinks this sort of stuff up?

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Thanks to this article I've been watching fish men swim around and ask disturbing questions for about forty-five minutes on youtube.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
No mention of Leonard Nimoy? He seemed to add an air of credibility to it...until you met your fishman.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I *LOVED* this game.
It was so weird but so fun.
I love the Dougie headline of this piece as well, thank you.

I am glad this article exists as I love keeping up awareness of this title because I want a sequel. This game and Shenmue 1&2 are the only Dreamcast titles I kept!

http://www.destructoid.com/new-seaman-2-video-man-faced-fish-birds-and-cell-phone-using-cavemen-aplenty-46176.phtml
This is some article about Seaman 2, but for what?!?
I think it should be for 3DS...
http://www.destructoid.com/some-games-that-deserve-a-3ds-revival-191568.phtml