Heavy Rain Movie Snares Deadwood Writer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Heavy Rain Movie Snares Deadwood Writer

The producers claim that they have found the ideal writer for the Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296137088&sr=1-1] movie, and Warner Bros. seems to agree.

The movie version of the already fairly cinematic Heavy Rain is moving forward with the announcement that Emmy award winning screenwriter David Milch will create the script. Milch's previous work includes NYPD Blue and Deadwood.

Heavy Rain tells the story of the hunt for the "Origami Killer" from four different perspectives. Each character has his or her own motive for pursuing the murderer, and their stories intertwine until they eventually converge at the game's conclusion. Developer Quantic Dream presented the game much like a thriller movie, making it uniquely suited for a big screen adaptation.

Unique Features, the company set up by New Line Cinema founders Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne in 2008, will produce the movie, with Warner Bros. backing it. Shaye said that Milch was the ideal screenwriter for the project, as he had the ability to take complicated storylines and turn them into "gripping, popular drama." Warner Bros. is fast-tracking the movie, and Milch will start work on the script as soon as he is done with the first season of the horse-racing show, Luck.

I must admit that I have a good feeling about the Heavy Rain movie, if for no other reason than it seems like a lot of the work normally needed to convert a game into a movie has already been done. The story might need to be streamlined a little - especially as the script for the game apparently runs to 2,000 pages overall - but hopefully that will be a fairly painless process.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118030985]

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
If you don't count the fact that by thriller standards Heavy Rain is the equivalent of what Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is to action movies, then sure, this looks promising.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
/Shrug. I honestly don't think this needs to be made. The game is enough like a film anyway, as a matter of fact it's so like a film the only thing that makes it stand out is the fact it's a game. Turning it into a film will take away one of the few things that made it unique.

But I'll keep my mouth shut until I can actually see something of this film. Who knows maybe it'll actually be good.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
There's a Heavy Rain movie now? Arg...gotta say, I'm against this. There was nothing wrong with the game, and it very movie-like to begin with. It just all seems so unnecessary.

As a game, its draw was how cinematic and progressive it was. As a movie, it seems like 'just another crime thriller'. Of course it's too early to judge, but I'm worried.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
SkittlesKat said:
I reckon it will be a good movie but they might try and make it into too much of a suspenseful thriller movie or too much of an action movie, or they might stuff up with the sex scene or character portrayals/information (taking out the triptocaine addiction thing, changing character traits etc.)

Also some heavy Heavy Rain (pun intended) spoilers:
[spoilers]I wonder if they should make any of the characters die at or near the end of the movie to add to the viewer interest and suspense?

Marq said:
Got to be the most elaborate trolling attempt ever.

Heavy Rain was already a movie.
Are you thinking of Hard Rain or is there actually a movie that Heavy Rain is based on? Cause I can't find it not even on the wiki page unless it's like some old movie from the film noir era.
I think the unicorn meant the game was very movie like allready

DestinyCall

May 5, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
Heavy Rain the game was a movie and this new movie adaptation is redundant
Exactly. Heavy Rain is as close to being an interactive movie as something can get while still pretending to be a game. Making it into a non-interactive movie is just ... unnecessary.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I don't really understand the point of this. Heavy Rain was hyped as an interactive movie. If you take the interaction out, it's just a movie. We've plenty of those.

Instead of making another movie, make another interactive movie game.

Besides, Heavy Rain's plot only seems fantastic in comparison to other games. It borrows a little too heavily from Saw and has so many plot problems trying to lead you down the wrong path to the conclusion it makes for a very poor suspense film in comparison to something like, Silence of the Lambs, The Usual Suspects, The Sixth Sense or hell, even Saw just to name a few.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Marq said:

Almost, they are just removing the quick time events. Apparently that takes an ideal writer, who knew?

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
It's great that they snagged a writer for one of the wordiest shows in history, because all I wanted from the next game was to listen to more Western Europeans attempting to imitate American accents.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Marq said:
SkittlesKat said:
Marq said:

Are you thinking of Hard Rain or is there actually a movie that Heavy Rain is based on? Cause I can't find it not even on the wiki page unless it's like some old movie from the film noir era.
I meant that Heavy Rain had such little gameplay that it was classifiable as a movie.
Heavy Rain had as many button pushes as TV, every time a commercial comes on it's a QTE for finding another show.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Wow. It amazes me how many haters this game has. This game wasn't perfect but it was a great game. Go troll elsewhere please.