Pokémon Card Game Goes Full Circle and Becomes a Videogame Again

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pokémon Card Game Goes Full Circle and Becomes a Videogame Again

The card game is heading online for the first time in a flash-based web game.

The Pokémon Company is turning the videogame-inspired Pokémon collectible card game back into an online video game that will launch this spring.

The game will launch with three pre-made decks to play with. Players will also be able to use decks from the upcoming Black & White expansion, by using codes that come with the decks themselves.

The game will have 12 computer opponents with varying personalities and strategies which will supposedly challenge players at any skill level. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the game will have any facility to play against other people, but that could always come later on if there's sufficient demand for it.

It's not the first time the card game has been turned into a videogame - Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color has that distinction - but it is the first time it's been playable online. Better still, the game is free, so you'll be able to play even if you've never bought a Pokémon card in your life. You can get updates on Pokémon Trainer Challenge via the official website [http://www.pokemontcg.com/], and the game itself launches on April 6th.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5760949/the-pokemon-trading-card-game-moves-into-cyberspace]

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Teebs2 said:
Damn it I want another Pokemon Card game like the one on game boy, sad day.
That game kicked ass! So did the battle music from what I recall...what am I talking about, to youtube for evidence!

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Yay! More Pokemanz to collect! I must Catch them all! Oh wait that's not their slogan anymore is it :mad:

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Teebs2 said:
I remember playing this for hours, but my brother lost it when we were on vacation in London... I've been missing it ever since.

Wait... I can, er, fully legally obtain the game...

Excuse me for the next twenty hours or so.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Awh, I was hoping that it would be a DS title.
I never really got into Pokémon Trading Cards but I do have fond memories of playing the Gameboy Version.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
Seriously guys? Is this really necessary? Why not focus on a pokemon MMO or something?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I remember owning a Pokemon Card Game Video Game on the PC. It had 1 opponent who had only water types and my deck only had fighting and ground based types. Sometime's I'd win, sometime's I'd loose. It was decent, but I wished I had more then just Machomps and Diglets.

I will certainly give this game a try however.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I remember one for the PC ages ago, it was so fun! but the music and the women narrator was piss annoying.

Can't wait for this =D

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Novania said:
Seriously guys? Is this really necessary? Why not focus on a pokemon MMO or something?
Do you know how hard that would be to programme? with all the regions, Pokemon, items, characters, and the eventually trainers? as an RPG i can understand, but and MMO is pushing it.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Teebs2 said:
Phlakes said:
Teebs2 said:
I remember playing this for hours, but my brother lost it when we were on vacation in London... I've been missing it ever since.

Wait... I can, er, fully legally obtain the game...

Excuse me for the next twenty hours or so.
Damn it nintendo, why keep making the new shitty spin offs of pokemon and just make new versions of the old shitty pokemon spin-offs.

Fucking Snap and Pinball need to make a come-back right now, and maybe Hey you Pikachu.

Pokemon Channel doesn't count!
Yes to all of these. But only the original Pinballs, especially with that Meowth minigame. And Hey You Pikachu and Snap could both be epic Wii games, especially if they could make a better microphone peripheral for the former.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Sooooooo it's Pokémon: Duels of the Trainers?

Looks interesting, I shall sign-up and check it out

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
vrbtny said:
arc1991 said:
Can't wait for this =D
Ya'know? We probably could have guessed that from your Avatar :p
What's your point? *squints eyes and looks in your direction*

It's not like i comment on anything to do with Pokemon /sarcasm *Rolls eyes*

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I'm hoping this doesn't share a business model with Magic Online (you have to buy digital versions of the cards. Every. Single. One of them.)

Sep 14, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Teebs2 said:
That game kicked ass! So did the battle music from what I recall...what am I talking about, to youtube for evidence!
this for sure, i remember when you pulled off a fire blast attack, it actually MEANT something and you pulled a "HOLY SHIT!" moment.

that game was epic and it seriously needs a comeback...