Final Fantasy VII Was Originally a 2D RPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Final Fantasy VII Was Originally a 2D RPG

Square's original plan for Final Fantasy VII was to keep things largely similar to the series' 2D entries.

An interview with Final Fantasy VII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Playstation/dp/B00000JRSB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1297978713&sr=8-3] director Yoshinori Kitase published in the latest issue of Famitsu magazine (via 1up) reveals how the game came to be what it was at release in 1997. Though it may seem like Square knew exactly how to bring the series to the next level, Final Fantasy VII's development was filled with a lot of uncertainty.

Kitase says that Square knew something "new" was coming to videogames, and it likely involved 3D, but 3D hadn't cemented its presence yet when development began on Final Fantasy VII. Square had been monkeying around with tech demos of 3D CGI, but hadn't considered using it for the entirety of the game.

"At the time, we figured that the only place in the game we'd actually use 3D was in the battle scenes," Kitase said. "The first bunch of PlayStation RPGs used Super NES-style world maps, with 2D sprites placed right in the middle of the screen. I thought that would become the basic sort of standard for RPGs in the future. I definitely didn't think the field view would wind up in 3D, too."

After working with the PlayStation hardware, Kitase says he realized that a change was necessary. "I felt that for this next generation, the field map needed depth and a character-oriented viewpoint or else we'd be losing out on story drama," he added. Before this realization, there was a heavy debate about the game's eventual format, an abnormality when developers would usually debate what kinds of new gameplay systems should be implemented.

According to Kitase, a major developmental hurdle was that there were no previous games to "rely on." Things that we take for granted today, like a game that goes seamlessly from the play screen to a CG movie, had to be figured out from scratch. Memory was also an issue, as Square had no idea how many polygons it could use for Final Fantasy VII's characters and monsters.

In the end, Kitase believes that the PlayStation is what allowed Final Fantasy VII to exist. He says that the console allowed him to "show people that Final Fantasy VII was an adventure played up close and within the world itself, not seen from overhead." As one of the most popular RPGs of all time, Square's hard work definitely paid off.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-vii-got-made]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I would assume that most games made in a 3D formula, coming from a 2D background with the rest of the series, would have had their start in 2D.

This is no real news to me, though I am glad that they chose to do 3D instead.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Surprising how he didn't mention that it was Nintendo's stubbornness that made them migrate to the PlayStation. Final Fantasy VII was certainly a game that could not have worked on a cartridge system with limited memory.

ladysephiroth

Jan 26, 2011
I'm glad they made it the way that they did ... I'm in the middle of my yearly re-play of this game now, and I still enjoy it, dated as it is. Interesting, ... that he's talking about it again?

Hope springs eternal.

halkun

Aug 13, 2009
FF7 being 2D (Or 2.5D) is common knowlage to the FF7 hacking community. FF7 was based off of the Xenogears engine that was forked early in development.

SaGa Frontier - > Xenogears -> FF7 -> Parasite Eve -> FF7 -> Parasite Eve 2 -> FF8 -> FF9

FFX was forked from the Vagrent Story Engine.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
More people need to read this article instead of posting "FFVII is overrated" it's amazing because of what it did not just because of what it was. There simply WAS no other RPG like this, this RPG walked out and stomped the rest of them because of it's sheer magnitude.

Find me an RPG that was this big back in 1997 on consoles that wasn't set in medieval times.
This isn't a rant of love it's a rant of "please understand why it was big and stop trying to compare it to modern rpgs" rant.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Well, at least they took that chance to take games to the next level.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
It's really cool how things were back then. No one knew just what was gonna happen or what was going to be the "next big thing." They probably didn't imagine it'd turn out to be so influential and popular. Also, I swear FF VII never looked as good on my playstation as it does up there in the screenshot.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Urge to replay FF7 now...

It truely was a fantastic game and i cannot imagine it being as wonderful with the 2D sprites from FFI-VI

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Interesting news. I am glad they did that as they probably started a new generation of games.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Snotnarok said:
More people need to read this article instead of posting "FFVII is overrated" it's amazing because of what it did not just because of what it was. There simply WAS no other RPG like this, this RPG walked out and stomped the rest of them because of it's sheer magnitude.

Find me an RPG that was this big back in 1997 on consoles that wasn't set in medieval times.
This isn't a rant of love it's a rant of "please understand why it was big and stop trying to compare it to modern rpgs" rant.
I don't know about as big, but most people that I've talked to consider FFVI better.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
and it's the characters, man

at least it was for me, that's what made it stood out. when I related best with certain characters and such (not even close with the debacle that was FFXIII)

Supp said:
Snotnarok said:

I don't know about as big, but most people that I've talked to consider FFVI better.
well it depends on your sample population but ah it's all relative haha

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
While I personally prefer Final Fantasy VI, I do respect Final Fantasy VII, I just wish the rest of the series stopped trying to emulate it. Particularly the sci-fi overtones. I preferred it when the Sci-fi stuff took a back seat to the world around it. While this has generally been avoided in terms of gameplay, the design still looks like their is a Sci-fi overtone.

(Secondly, I prefer my JRPGs to be 2D)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Supp said:
Snotnarok said:

...Again, it's not about opinion, AT THE TIME there was nothing like it. 3D, movies, camera panning around your characters, weapons actually changing in battle.