Devil May Cry Movie to Bring Sword, Snark and Bullets to the Big Screen

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Devil May Cry Movie to Bring Sword, Snark and Bullets to the Big Screen

Dante will be killing demons in his cinematic debut, but everything else is up in the air.

Screen Gems, the studio behind the Resident Evil movies, has bought up the rights to another Capcom franchise, Devil May Cry. The RE movies have grossed more than half a billion dollars, and it seems that Screen Gems is hoping that the Capcom lightning will strike twice.

It almost goes without saying, but there are not a lot of details about the movie right now. The very vague plot is that Dante is killing demons to avenge his mother's murder, and that's pretty all we've got so far. It's not clear whether this it's the original Dante, or the new Dante from Ninja Theory's reboot, that we're talking about either. It could even be some new Dante designed just for the movie.

Reports say that Screen Gems has hired screenwriter Kyle Ward to create the script. Ward does not have a lot of big action movies - which a Devil May Cry film is almost certainly going to be - on his resume. In fact, he doesn't have a lot of anything on his resume, having only written one feature film before. He must have impressed someone though, as aside from DMC, he's also been hired to write the script for the Kane & Lynch movie.

A Devil May Cry movie could be ridiculous amounts of fun, kind of like a supernatural, tongue-in-cheek Matrix. If the Resident Evil movies are anything to go by, it's not necessarily going to be a faithful rendition of the games, but as long as it has the over-the-top fight scenes with stupidly large swords and guns, it will probably work just fine.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/28/devil-may-cry-movie-rights-acquired-by-screen-gems/]

ThongBonerstorm

Feb 22, 2010
hell, this should be easy to do. it doesn't need to be anything super special, just lots of action, die-hard style and it'll be good.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
My guess is this either turns out so unfaithful that it's a name-only adaptation, or they try too hard to keep with the style and make it overly corny. I honestly don't think it'll come out any other way.

But hey, there's that tiny, tiny chance it'll surprise me.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
After what they did to the RE movies and what they want to do with the uncharted movies i have no faith in movie adaptations

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Ward does not have a lot of big action movies - which a Devil May Cry film is almost certainly going to be - on his resume.
Considering the state of most action movies, this is probably a good thing.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I think the biggest surprise here is that somebody is actually making a Kane and Lynch movie. Seriously who the fuck cares about Kane and Lynch??!! Why is that even a franchise???!!!

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
In fact, he doesn't have a lot of anything on his resume, having only written one feature film before. He must have impressed someone though, as aside from DMC, he's also been hired to write the script for the Kane & Lynch movie.
He either impressed someone, or got them angry enough to assassinate his career.

Seriously though, I feel sorry for this scriptwriter. I know that videogame to movie adaptations normally make a lot of money, but with the arguable exception of Silent Hill they're all terrible.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well i hope they don't mess things up and make a lame or stupid movie (though i did like some of the Resident evil movies).

I just recently played DMC 4 (the only DMC I've played) and i really liked it. The totally over-the-top action and a good amount of cut-scenes and that awesomeness that is called Dante just made it really enjoyable. I've never played a game like that before...

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Strangely enough the less they try to be faithful to RE, the better the movies get. They seem to have ran off in their own little world "inspired by" RE, I really wish Hollywood would change the word "based off of" to "inspired by" since that seems to be the trend with video game movies.

As for DMC, it looks like a pretty straight forward game to film adaptation, it doesn't take the movie industry much effort to make just a silly over the top action film, all you really need to pull it off is a good star actor (however I have a feeling this is where they will go wrong) Dante is a good basis for a good main character, and a good main character can carry even the worst of films.

Overall, it wont follow Dante's backstory or the story of DMC at all with the exception of demon killing and maybe Virgil, but as far as franchises go, DMC isn't a difficult one to stay "faithful to" but I said that for Uncharted aswell.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Owlslayer said:
Well i hope they don't mess things up and make a lame or stupid movie (though i did like some of the Resident evil movies).

I just recently played DMC 4 (the only DMC I've played) and i really liked it. The totally over-the-top action and a good amount of cut-scenes and that awesomeness that is called Dante just made it really enjoyable. I've never played a game like that before...
If you liked number 4 that much, you should try number 3, no Nero to mess things up, Dante at his best.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
They should make it based on DMC 3. It has the best story with all that brotherly conflict and hell gates opening in our realm.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Shouldn't be hard to pull this off. Even a half-assed attempt would probably be a good movie. Hopefully they keep the attitude from the games, even if the the story isn't stripped from the games. I hope they go for chaotic impossible to follow battles instead of the slow motion, every render the special effects guys made must be shown off, type of battles.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Eclpsedragon said:
Owlslayer said:

If you liked number 4 that much, you should try number 3, no Nero to mess things up, Dante at his best.
Yeah, I've heard quite a lot of good things about DMC3. I really loved how unbelievably bad-ass Dante was. Anyways, what genre is it supposed to be anyways? I really haven't played such games before :(

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Owlslayer said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Owlslayer said:

Yeah, I've heard quite a lot of good things about DMC3. I really loved how unbelievably bad-ass Dante was. Anyways, what genre is it supposed to be anyways? I really haven't played such games before :(
They've always been thrown under the "action/ adventure" genre, with the likes of Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Bayonetta. It's basically an umbrella genre for things that can't be classified any other way.

Electric Yemeth

Jun 8, 2010
Hack and Slash.

Although it really is its own kind of Hack and Slash. Let's just go with Yhatzee's "Spectacle Fighter" as it is just that. And if you liked DMC 4, you should go for Number 3 and 1 , the ONLY OTHER DMC games there are. Yeah, Capcom doesn't like the number 2.
As for Dante's bad-assery : DMC was the best. He even had some Character development there, I think. And Nightmare was just aweseome.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
this is going to be a DISASTER! i don't mean to sound pessemistic but they raped the hell out of REsident Evil, turning a silly but stable horror story into some...weird...action..thingy. I'm not even sure what it is anymore. Just what the hell are they going to do to dante!?

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
I dont care who makes this .I dont care what style they use. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE THIS GOOD AT LEAST!