Inversion Dev: Online Passes Are "Dicey"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Inversion Dev: Online Passes Are "Dicey"

The producer of the upcoming third-person shooter Inversion [http://www.amazon.com/Inversion-Playstation-3/dp/B004LWEK7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1299017448&sr=1-1] says that instead of using so-called "online passes" to combat used game sales and piracy, publishers should just make sure their games are worth 60 bucks when they hit the market.

You're probably familiar with the concept of the "online pass" but for those who have somehow managed to miss it, it's a generic name for the single-use codes that publishers use to add extra content like quests and characters, or access to features like online gameplay, to brand-new copies of games. If you buy the game new, you get the content at no charge; if you buy used, on the other hand, you have to pay extra for it. The idea is to help publishers recover some of the revenue they lose when people pick up pre-owned copies of games.

But Rick White of Saber Interactive [http://www.saber3d.com/], the studio currently working on Inversion, thinks that's the wrong way to go. He doesn't deny that used game sales are a problem for publishers, but says the challenge is to find ways to encourage gamers to buy new rather than punishing them for buying used.

"For me personally putting locks in the game to force you not to buy pre-owned is dicey. I would rather do something like we're doing with Inversion where we're giving you multiplayer, we're giving you co-op, we're giving you a cool, compelling story and lots of cool elements in the game," he told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289466/features/online-passes-arent-the-answer-make-your-game-worth-60/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS].

"One thing we need to commit to as gamers and developers is to make you want to own our game because there's a lot of content, make you want to own it because you can play with your friends by playing co-op and playing multiplayer," he continued. "Make it $60 worth. Make your game truly worth the $60 and make it good. Put your love and passion into it and people are going to want to own your game. I mean, do people really rent Call of Duty? [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299017672&sr=1-1]"

It's a good idea but a tough sell. A game longer than eight hours is as likely to be seen as an overly-demanding time sink these days as it is a good value for the price, and the online arena is so utterly dominated by a handful of titles that often it hardly seems worth the effort to even try. I love the idea of new games consistently being worth the full price of admission but realistically, I just don't see it happening.

Inversion, by the way, is slated to come out in February 2012 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
This is a big problem for me as an avid supporter of Gamefly. I absolutly love it. Lets me play every game I want and play mediocre games without fear of buyers remorse.

Playing Dragon Age was a bit annoying when I figured out I missed a whole main character but hey worked out well selling gems and lets face in in RPG's with big parties you pick your favs and run with them.

I DO rent Call of duty. I bought 2 and played the multiplayer a LOT for about a month or so then got bored. I realized that if that was the only game I played from gamefly over the 2 months it still was cheaper then buying new. The only sticky point was when my friends buy the new map packs and I'm not investing in that...Depends how many 100's hours you want to sink into an FPS i guess.

I recently gameflew Dead Space 2 and its multiplayer at least had a trial period, which seems like a good middle ground. I don't know the details because I didnt try the multiplayer but hey, just shows theres more then one solution to this problem.

I am very much a single player ...player I enjoy the multiplayer on occasion but the campaign is what I love. These rediculously short campaigns are a real drag. Im sorry if you bought MOH, gamefly people. I will not pay 60 bucks for an 8 hour single player. Never. Open ended time a la Fallout is another story.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Thank you!

Hopefully their game will be worth the full price at retail, but I'm sick of this weak-ass justification of the online pass system, worse still from those who suck up and pay.

I remember one of the reasons why I stopped buying every game at full price. MoH: Rising Sun. Me and a friend completed it in three hours, and promptly returned it.

I think from then on I only bought a handful of titles brand new. If you want me buying your game as soon as it comes out, it needs to be worth the price. Good online/Co-Op is effective, but companies have obviously seen that and started to slap online onto everything.

The used game market won't be going anywhere. You already have ways to generate money, so stop with this crap.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
It sounds pretty naive to me. Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of content in your game... that people will pirate. Or they'll play and trade in, and someone else will pick it up cheap because they can. If it were so simple as "make good games, piracy won't affect them and no one will trade them in" surely we'd never have seen systems like the online pass start in the first place?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bombadilillo said:
These rediculously short campaigns are a real drag. Im sorry if you bought MOH, gamefly people. I will not pay 60 bucks for an 8 hour single player. Never. Open ended time a la Fallout is another story.
How do you have so much free time? Christ, I only managed to complete bulletstorm in a day because I literally put everything aside. Even then I barely managed it.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^^ Said it better then me.

dogstile said:
bombadilillo said:
These rediculously short campaigns are a real drag. Im sorry if you bought MOH, gamefly people. I will not pay 60 bucks for an 8 hour single player. Never. Open ended time a la Fallout is another story.
How do you have so much free time? Christ, I only managed to complete bulletstorm in a day because I literally put everything aside. Even then I barely managed it.
What are you talking about? I don't want to beat a game in one day. Thats 60$ I'd like it to take a week or two of casual gaming to beat. I don't want to finish a game in one sitting. I don't know how you got loads of free time from that.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Your right it is kinda a cheep shot coming out and publicly shouting.

All this trend is going to do is hurt the second hand market. People will get burned like Kalezian buying used and either. 1. Stop buying used, or 2. Research more before they purchace. Im sure gamestop will soon (if they already haven't) just put a sticker on boxes saying XTRA MONEY REQUIRED TO MULTIPLAY. And ultimatley these companies will expose themselves to fewer gamers.

Ideally the game should be so amazing that after you buy second hand Bad Company 2 you just cant wait another minute for Bad Company 3 and you buy it new.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
bombadilillo said:
All this trend is going to do is hurt the second hand market. People will get burned like Kalezian buying used and either. 1. Stop buying used
That's the whole idea.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
bombadilillo said:
All this trend is going to do is hurt the second hand market. People will get burned like Kalezian buying used and either. 1. Stop buying used
That's the whole idea.
Them not buying used does not mean they will buy new.

This is the piracy areguement all over. Not every used game sale is equal to a lost New game sale. Like every pirated game does not equal a lost game sale.

People buying used games arent going to have 3x the money all of a sudden to buy a new game.

So what is the strategy? To topple the used game market while pissing off customers and hope it works out all right?

I think it will lead to more piracy. If i bought a PC game and it told me to pay 15$ to play it when I installed, I would just find a patch. Screw this I payed for it. Don't tell me I can't play.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I usually buy new anyway... So yeah lesson of the day check if EA is publishing it, if not then buy used awayyyyyyyyy.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
3x the cost? No. But Gamestop usually prices their used copies at only $5 less than a new one. That's what they're trying to kill.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Just to point out, the folks at Extra Credits (right here on the Escapist) already put together a video on this concept.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2068-Project-Ten-Dollar

And maybe I'm just jaded, but Rick White's quote comes across more as marketing than actual reporting: "Our game is AWESOME! So you'll pay full price. It's so freaking cool you just won't be able to buy it new, because it's that cool." All he needs is a pair of sunglasses and someone to queue up "Won't get fooled again" by The Who.

P.S. Anyone who claims to have beaten fallout:NV in a day is either full of it, or spent the whole time reading a FAQ for "quickest run through," skipping 90% of the content. Neither one is something we should aspire to.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Most SP content is only worth 20-30$ at the most, they really should start selling SP and MP content on 2 separate discs at 2 separate prices. At least if its 20$ and a sequel comes out in 9 months you wont fill ripped off.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bombadilillo said:
^^^^^^^^^ Said it better then me.

dogstile said:
bombadilillo said:
What are you talking about? I don't want to beat a game in one day. Thats 60$ I'd like it to take a week or two of casual gaming to beat. I don't want to finish a game in one sitting. I don't know how you got loads of free time from that.
8 hours is a single day, for me. I usually don't have that time. An 8 hour campaign will usually last me weeks unless i'm so excited to play a game (like the bulletstorm example) that I play through it in a day.

So if you consider 8 hours short, i'm assuming you have lots of free time. Sorry if i'm wrong.

Apr 28, 2008
Simply reducing prices by a bit is a good way to get sales.

Example: Steam. Games have a habit of making back their budget and more because they're half off. I know TF2 did this many times over with sales. But again, you have to make the game worth the money.

Kalezian said:
My proof is Fallout New Vegas; I was only about 12 hours into it and was running with the NCR when BAM! Final Mission.
What? I played it for about 50 hours before coming across the final mission. And I was running with the NCR as well!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
It sounds pretty naive to me. Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of content in your game... that people will pirate. Or they'll play and trade in, and someone else will pick it up cheap because they can. If it were so simple as "make good games, piracy won't affect them and no one will trade them in" surely we'd never have seen systems like the online pass start in the first place?
The online pass isn't about piracy, no matter how much they say it is. They just started lumping in used game buyers with pirates for their purposes. They want to transpose the ill feelings people feel toward pirates to people who don't want to pay full price for a game that may not be worth it.

OT: It used to be you couldn't give a good game away. I remember when I found Final Fantasy 6 used after my copy was lost. It was like buried treasure. No one gave that game up. There were lots of good games that I didn't trade away. I would love to see developers take some kind of initiative. Lots of companies do. WoW has new expansions with lots of new content every few years (this is not a defense of Blizzard), Dragon Age Origins released a whole slew of expansions, even borderlands had a bunch of added content over the course of a year. And those are games that only come to mind because they are recent.

The only thing that really smells bad to me is the idea that a game has to have a strong online component to be good or successful (EA should probably fuck off). This is completely false, but I can see them using some kind of bullshit element like that to justify some kind of pass. 4 of the top 5 critically acclaimed experiences in recent memory only had a single player component. And if you look at PC Games that have a single player campaign and the DRM pissed everyone off (thank you Ubisoft), then you can probably understand where this whole idea leads.

PS. If more games had stronger gameplay rather than just flashier graphics, a lot of people would want to own them. Yes this would bolster sales, yes more "pirates" would buy them.

PPS. Piracy is a shit poor excuse for what companies do. I don't care if you love them or hate them, that is just a fact.

PPPS. I have taken this sufficiently off topic, and everyone should feel free to rip on me if they want, haha. Late night rants can be fun though, you have to admit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Irridium said:
Simply reducing prices by a bit is a good way to get sales.

Example: Steam. Games have a habit of making back their budget and more because they're half off. I know TF2 did this many times over with sales. But again, you have to make the game worth the money.
The whole video game industry has come to the conclusion that sales past the first few months don't matter. I have made the point lots of times that games sell a large portion upon release, but can still sell for years afterwards. But, this view is not acceptable by most companies it seems. I mean, Valve gets it, keep selling a game, keep making money. I don't know why it's so hard for the Activisions/EA's/Ubisofts of the world to understand, or the rest of the business community that seems ok with this flawed business model. I mean, TF2 has had so many updates and enhancements it freakin' ridiculous. I think I bought it for like $10 on sale. I also don't care to see this increased pricing PC Games. We should pay more for a PC Game because the consoles pay more? I haven't bought a non digital game since 2008. And that was only because I lived in New Mexico at the time, in the middle of nowhere, with the worlds shittiest internet. It's cheaper for digital distribution, companies bring in more because they aren't paying 40-50% to Gamestop. I WILL not pay $60 for a game. I'll wait till the prices come down. Next week is a good example. Three games listed in Game Informer as coming out that I am anticipating. Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Homefront. Well, Deus Ex is the only one selling for $50, so guess what gets my sale till prices drop.

Food for though.