Inversion Dev: Online Passes Are "Dicey"

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
Baresark said:
Irridium said:
Simply reducing prices by a bit is a good way to get sales.

Three games listed in Game Informer as coming out that I am anticipating. Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Homefront. Well, Deus Ex is the only one selling for $50, so guess what gets my sale till prices drop.
The problem is that the prices DON'T drop. You can go into Gamestop and see games that are upwards of six months old still selling at sixty dollars.

The reason why Steam is so successful and why the used game market is so popular is BECAUSE they introduce that price drop. The older the used game the farther it'll drop down in price. After three or four months there are significant differences in the prices of used games and its new counterpart. That's where the problem is.

They pointed this out in the Extra Credits video, but that's one major difference between the movie industry and the game industry. Some of those movies have budgets that blow our game making budgets, even on the PS3, out of the water. But they STILL lower the prices. But in the game industry we have none of that. At least nothing that's publisher regulated and industry spread. That's where Gamestop comes in.

Rant on buying used games: I get ragged on all the time for "only" buying used games. This filth the industry has been spreading about used games players being just as bad as pirates is spreading. I've actually been harassed at the counter of my local game store JUST BECAUSE they noticed I always buy used. First off, I'm a fifteen year old. I'm too young to have a steady job. I'm sorry I don't make enough through my chores and freelancing to buy multiple sixty dollar games a month. But don't blame me for buying used when the publishers give me no incentive to buy new. And no, "If you don't buy new we're going to take a bunch of content away from you", doesn't count. That's a punishment for buying used, that doesn't actually give me a good reason to buy the game at full price.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jamie Doerschuck said:
Baresark said:
Irridium said:

Three games listed in Game Informer as coming out that I am anticipating. Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Homefront. Well, Deus Ex is the only one selling for $50, so guess what gets my sale till prices drop.
The problem is that the prices DON'T drop. You can go into Gamestop and see games that are upwards of six months old still selling at sixty dollars.

The reason why Steam is so successful and why the used game market is so popular is BECAUSE they introduce that price drop. The older the used game the farther it'll drop down in price. After three or four months there are significant differences in the prices of used games and its new counterpart. That's where the problem is.

They pointed this out in the Extra Credits video, but that's one major difference between the movie industry and the game industry. Some of those movies have budgets that blow our game making budgets, even on the PS3, out of the water. But they STILL lower the prices. But in the game industry we have none of that. At least nothing that's publisher regulated and industry spread. That's where Gamestop comes in.
The thing is more people buy movies so it does kind of offset their price drops.

Of course gamestop is still going to sell the game for $60 (used: $59) six months down the road. People pay it. That?s the problem, gamers are so willing to be bullied into trading in for $2 while buying used for a $2 savings, paying some money for a game that?s not going on sale for months (because if they don?t, ?they?ll be left out in the cold?), paying this fee for online service, that fee for online pass, paying absurd prices for dlc, and buying games that already have content set aside to be sold to them separately.

I?ve ranted about this before but as long as gamers continue to prove themselves to be the least savvy consumers this side of new car lots, the publishers, retailers, and console makers will continue to take advantage of us.

That?s why I refuse to shop at Gamestop, that?s why I didn?t buy the rrod machine and if I do I?m not paying for online, it?s why I don?t pre-order (and I?ve never had a problem getting a game launch day/week at a real store anyway), and it?s why I don?t buy games that set aside gameplay content at launch for different retailer pre-orders and/or to just sell later (capcom & rockstar).

The thing is, if gamers continue to, not just roll over and give away their money, but to go so far as to defend these companies that come up with these kinds of schemes, things like online pass are only the beginning. If publishers think they can get away with it, they will sell us a demo for $60 and then sell us the rest of the game in 8 $20 packets. And if it?s a company/franchise with enough fanboys, they will.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
8 hours is still too short in my books. I want something that will keep me occupied for a while if I'm paying full price.

If companies want to stop folks buying second-hand games, then the only sensible way is too make sure people don't want to trade their games in. I'll want to keep a game a lot longer if it's got good re-play value than if it hasn't. Downloadables made after the game are a smart move too (though ones already in the game that need unlocking are just an insult to the players, particularly as not all players are going to have a decent internet conection).

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
Baresark said:
Irridium said:

The thing is more people buy movies so it does kind of offset their price drops.

Of course gamestop is still going to sell the game for $60 (used: $59) six months down the road. People pay it. That?s the problem, gamers are so willing to be bullied into trading in for $2 while buying used for a $2 savings, paying some money for a game that?s not going on sale for months (because if they don?t, ?they?ll be left out in the cold?), paying this fee for online service, that fee for online pass, paying absurd prices for dlc, and buying games that already have content set aside to be sold to them separately.

I?ve ranted about this before but as long as gamers continue to prove themselves to be the least savvy consumers this side of new car lots, the publishers, retailers, and console makers will continue to take advantage of us.

That?s why I refuse to shop at Gamestop, that?s why I didn?t buy the rrod machine and if I do I?m not paying for online, it?s why I don?t pre-order (and I?ve never had a problem getting a game launch day/week at a real store anyway), and it?s why I don?t buy games that set aside gameplay content at launch for different retailer pre-orders and/or to just sell later (capcom & rockstar).

The thing is, if gamers continue to, not just roll over and give away their money, but to go so far as to defend these companies that come up with these kinds of schemes, things like online pass are only the beginning. If publishers think they can get away with it, they will sell us a demo for $60 and then sell us the rest of the game in 8 $20 packets. And if it?s a company/franchise with enough fanboys, they will.
Lmao.. I only stop at Gamestop when they have their dumb sales. And then I pile my Edge Card on top of it (they forced me to get it when in reality all I wanted was the magazine..). Sometimes I'll trade in some crappy PS2 games that I have laying around. By the time I'm through they end up practically giving everything away to me.. =]

And pre-ordering is just a huge sham. Not ONLY have I never had any trouble buying a game launch week, but I've also never had any trouble getting any of the slightly cool things in the special.. Edition.. Pack things. Even those content codes end up on eBay! If I want something there are plenty of outlets for me to go buy it other than pre-ordering the game and shelling out a lot of money to have it.. At the same time as everyone else.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jamie Doerschuck said:
GonzoGamer said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
Baresark said:
Irridium said:

Lmao.. I only stop at Gamestop when they have their dumb sales. And then I pile my Edge Card on top of it (they forced me to get it when in reality all I wanted was the magazine..). Sometimes I'll trade in some crappy PS2 games that I have laying around. By the time I'm through they end up practically giving everything away to me.. =]

And pre-ordering is just a huge sham. Not ONLY have I never had any trouble buying a game launch week, but I've also never had any trouble getting any of the slightly cool things in the special.. Edition.. Pack things. Even those content codes end up on eBay! If I want something there are plenty of outlets for me to go buy it other than pre-ordering the game and shelling out a lot of money to have it.. At the same time as everyone else.
I only stop in gamestop when I have a gift card AND they're having one of their sales: buy2 get1 is the only way their used games are even moderately priced. Even then, there's only one gamestop in the whole NYC area that I can shop at without feeling the need to throttle someone: the game I bought is always in the case, and they don't try selling me magazine subscriptions, and pre-orders for games that are a year away. They even let me buy new games I didn't pre-order. If it wasn't for the crappy prices, it would be a great store.
Back when I didn't have much money, I used to sell old/crappy games on ebay, that way the purchaser could get a better price and I could get more money. But even now I trade in at the entertainment outlet (it may just be in nyc; not sure) get a better value - buying or selling.

My earlier post looks a little reactionary now that I'm sober but I stand by it 100%. It's not anything that requires rioting in the streets or anything but I think gamers need to protest with their wallets a bit more or I have no doubt that $60 demos will be on the way. It's actually pretty easy. Just don't pre-order (shop at a real store if need be), don't pay every fee that's asked of you, and don't pay lots of money when the value seems compromised. Those are actually words to live by: the reason I'm not poor anymore.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Online pass on Homefront pissed me off that I refused to buy it. So I can see why this studio is saying that online passes fail.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Why is the link to Inversion go to amazon and not the game website or at least dev page? OT: I like the one time pass stuff as described here. I should get free stuff for supporting the developer, and people who buy second hand and don't support the developer should be given an opportunity to do so. If they don't want to then fine, they don't get the free stuff that I enjoyed.