First MvC 3 DLC Characters Talk With Their Fists in New Gameplay Trailers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First MvC 3 DLC Characters Talk With Their Fists in New Gameplay Trailers

Two faces from the previous Marvel vs. Capcom are making a return in the next game, but one of them probably isn't quite as you remember.

Capcom has released gameplay trailers for the first downloadable characters for Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Joining the game's roster of 32 characters are former S.T.A.R.S. operative Jill Valentine and the otherworldly tentacle beast, Shuma-Gorath. The pair's appearance in the game isn't really a surprise, as they were announced as downloadable characters back in November. This is the first time, however, that we've seen them in action.

Valentine is on loan from the Resident Evil games, and is MvC's third S.T.A.R.S. operative, after Chris Redfield and the villainous Wesker. She's changed quite considerably from her appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, having ditched the beret and shoulder pads in favour of her Resident Evil 5 ensemble, complete with a rather ostentatious mind control device attached to her chest. Shuma-Gorath, on the other hand, looks very much like he did ten years ago. He's still an amorphous ring of tentacles surrounding a central eye, and he can still sprout teeth unexpectedly.

Interestingly, rumor has it that Shuma-Gorath was actually intended to be in the retail version of the game, but he was pulled at the last minute after Capcom axed Dead Rising's Frank West late in development. The character was complete, so dropping him would have been a waste, leading Capcom to repackage him as downloadable content. Jill was apparently a much later development, however.

Both characters will be available on March 15th for everyone except European PS3 owners who have to wait until the 16th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292601/news/marvel-vs-capcom-3-jill-shuma-gorath-official-trailers/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Off the top of my head, I don't actually know who Shuma-Gorath is...

But this is irrelevant. Neither of these is Phoenix Wright. OBJECT- No that's too easy.

I want to see Phoenix Wright versus She-Hulk in the legal battle of the century =D

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:

But this is irrelevant. Neither of these is Phoenix Wright. OBJECT- No that's too easy.

I want to see Phoenix Wright versus She-Hulk in the legal battle of the century =D
Phoenix Wright ey?

Shuma looked like the most fun to use out of those 2 tbh, cool abilities :>

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:

Shuma-Gorath is a villain from the Doctor Strange comics. He also appeared in MvC 2.

Oct 14, 2010
I'm disappointed they went with Zero Suit Jill. I wonder if they'll have a costume that brings her closer to her original look.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Huh, I assumed these were day 1 DLC. This would explain why there's not much on them on Youtube.

Any clue what the prices are like? I always did like Shuma Gorath in MvC2, would be great to bring him back into the roster (when my damn game arrives!).

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Jill looks kinda like a mix of X-23 and Wesker, with a bit of Chris' guns thrown in.
Sounds interesting to me, anyway.

I know I'll be paying the 400 Microsoft points for her rather than Shuma-Gorath though. I'm still struggling to get my head around the fact people like him. He's an eye. With a few tentacles. And he's popular. Wut?
Oh wait, I like Viewtiful Joe, my opinion means nothing.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
LavaLampBamboo said:

Shuma-Gorath is a villain from the Doctor Strange comics. He also appeared in MvC 2.
Seriously? He's from Marvel?!? God damn, I thought I knew every Marvel Character! Well, better go sell my comic collection on eBay.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Needs more Frank West and Phoenix Wright. The Invisible Woman would be nice, as well.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I noticed they mentioned the word "First" in the title of the article. I bought the super-mega-penultimate-excelsior edition, so I just have to wait to enter the codes, but any news on the next round of DLC characters. I'm hoping the expand the roster quite a bit. This is the type of game they can really make a killing on DLC with. While I appreciated the costume packs in Super Street Fighter 4, I would have rather had an expanded character roster. I noticed they released a costume pack for MvC3 as well..... DON'T FAIL ME CAPCOM!

Super Toast said:
Needs more Frank West and Phoenix Wright. The Invisible Woman would be nice, as well.
He was one of my personal favorites from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. He was fun to play, interesting to play as, and he had a unique set of moves that were completely unlike anyone else's. Really, all they had to do was make a new character model, they had all the moves and the look designed already.

laryri

May 19, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
Seriously? He's from Marvel?!? God damn, I thought I knew every Marvel Character! Well, better go sell my comic collection on eBay.
He's only been in 32 issues. No one is blaming you for not knowing him.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Cool to see that Capcom updated Jill to the RE story. Otherwise the game would have another Chris.
Logan Westbrook said:
LavaLampBamboo said:

More specifically he is an elder god (think Lovercraft) that Strange must stop from invading our universe. Freaking Dormammu shows respect to him when they make the intro.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
LawlessSquirrel said:
Huh, I assumed these were day 1 DLC. This would explain why there's not much on them on Youtube.
They actually WERE Day 1 DLC at a point. These two characters came with the special edition of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 in the form of a code.

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
LawlessSquirrel said:
They actually WERE Day 1 DLC at a point. These two characters came with the special edition of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 in the form of a code.
But we weren't allowed to redeem them until the 15th :( So all we were doing was paying for the code and the extra stuff in the Special Edition

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
And once again Capcom gets a bunch of people to pay for content that's on the disc.

I like the MvC games but I know half the fighters are going to be sold off piecemeal so I'm holding off for a goty edition.

It kind of sucks that to buy a complete game now a days you don't just pay the initial $60 but some mystery price that we wont know for another couple of years. If they're going to sell two characters at a time until they get to MvC2's 56 count roster, anyone who wants the whole game is about to be taken for a ride.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Ross Perot said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Ugh, Jill looks like a crappier version of X-23.

Do not want.
i'd guess she has higher health, but yeah. She looks like x-23 with all the fun taken out.

Oh, and an install.

ALSO:

who want's Shuma and Arakune to fight?

hmm?

show of hands?
I'm a little disappointed about how they've done Jill (her original design was better) but from the game play videos she does appear to be different from both Chris and Wesker. I was afraid she would be like a clone of these two but she while she has aspects of Wesker her fighting style has resemblence to X-23, but with guns. She appears surprisingly slow though in her movement.

Also to your 'also', I was thinking the exact thing. I would so want to see a match between the two. Furthermore with Arakune being my favourite character from BlazBlue and Shuma Goroth having a very similiar style I'm so going to add him into one of my three teams. Probably not my main though, I love my Tron-Haggar-Doranamu combo too much.