Inventor Constructs Terrifying 12 Foot Tall SpiderBot

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Inventor Constructs Terrifying 12 Foot Tall SpiderBot

An inventor in the secluded backwoods of Vermont has made it his mission to build a giant spider robot. Somebody call Will Smith.

Inventor and artist Jaimie Mantzel, holed up in his shack in the backwoods of Vermont, has spent the last 3 years piecing together a giant 6-legged robot capable of carrying a pilot. He claims it will be used to help him haul lumber up to his secret lab, but I think his plans have more of a "world domination" vibe to them.

The project started with a prototype spider, about the size of his hand, which walked and turned perfectly. After that, it was just a matter of making the same thing, just much bigger. Something he could successfully ride around in.

The entirety of the aptly-named "Giant Robot Project" has been documented and YouTubed extensively, and Mantzel's channel [http://www.youtube.com/user/JMEMantzel] has garnered over 2 million views since the beginning of the project.

He says that he's about 80% finished with his giant spiderbot, and that a month or two more of work should see it finished. He's not going to test-drive it, though, until he's absolutely sure it won't engulf him in a fireball of horrible spider-shaped wreckage "Honestly, there's no way in hell I'm getting on that thing till it's well tested," he said. "It's kinda scary."

The spider isn't the first thing he's built; before he could even start the giant robot, he had to build a 4-story dome house with a trampoline floor, a lumber mill, and a workshop, all from scratch in the middle of the Vermont woods. The area is so remote, in fact, that he had to build a road to it himself.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/st_obsessed_robot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29]

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Let's hope the government doesn't try to mimic the idea for combat readiness.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
This man needs to be incarcerated and his experiments need to be destroyed. No man builds a giant spider robot with good intentions.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
This guy is inspiring. And crazy.
He did an awesome victory run and has a trampoline in his workshop.
I love it!

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I love this guy. He's a genious even if a bit crazy. But for building something like this, I guess you need both.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I love this guy. He's a genious and a bit crazy but to build something like this, you need to be intelligent and crazy I guess.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I LOVE THIS GUY!

No, seriously. That is the prime example of a mad scientist and all-around cool inventor guy. Seriously, he made...a working spider-bot...all on his own, no grant or anything. THAT. IS. COOL.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, credit where credits due.

Especially when hes out in the woods of a backwater county all on his own.

Slightly related, didnt someone already make a spider-cart-thing? Saw one on Discovery channel a while back but never chased up the lead.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I love how enthusiastic the guy is about the project. It's kind of like getting excited that you're going to start the end of humanity. Either way, kudos to him. I wish I had my own spider-bot.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
josemlopes said:
HE'S A MADMAN I SAY! A MADMAN!!!
You're talking about the guy who now owns a 12-foot tall semi-functional robotic spider.

I'd start calling him eccentric if I was you.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
That man is a Super Villain... I'm assuming we're all aware of that.
...So.

Yeah, I'm willing to turn a blind eye to this. Even if to just make the world a little more interesting.