76: "Maajh, Ladies"

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"The secret to my grandmother's talent, of course, is that she is always playing mahjong, even when she isn't. I see the doodles of Chinese characters adorning shopping lists. I've noticed the books on mahjong strategy that used to, but no longer, appear in her library book basket. I've even heard her mumble 'East' in her sleep. I can recognize obsession when I see it. But more than that, mahjong carries into other aspects of her life. I even know why her stories make no sense. She Charlestons with words, thinking several discards ahead before she speaks, which confuses anyone who converses with logic or a consistent timeline. But not me. I know her secret. She doesn't ramble; she speaks in Maajh."

Lara Crigger shares a tale of three generations of gamers and one game in "Maajh, Ladies."
"Maajh, Ladies"

Carc [deprecated]

Dec 19, 2006
Is this some kind of a x-mas joke? I mean, ok, your grandmother (when she does exist, anyway) plays mahjong. And what? What's the higher meaning? Or the connection to the (electronic) gaming?

...gee, next time i am going to write about the terrible chess trials with my granddad...and terrible they were...

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
As I said in the piece, I play against my grandmother primarily during the holidays. Since this is a holiday issue... Well, I'm sure you can figure it out. :)

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Carc said:
Is this some kind of a x-mas joke? I mean, ok, your grandmother (when she does exist, anyway) plays mahjong. And what? What's the higher meaning? Or the connection to the (electronic) gaming?
The magazine's focus isn't just on electronic games. We cover tabletop stuff a lot, and we're no stranger to talking about the culture of playing games.