Stars and Stripes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Stars and Stripes

MovieBob analyzes the first trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger.

Read Full Article

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I'll be honest, I got chills down my spine when they said "Now mr.Stark"

So many movies to see this summer.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm British, and I'm pretty anti-nationalist or even patriotic (Not just for this country, but in general), and I am bouncing off the walls waiting for this film.

Sorry, but it looks so damn good. Cap is a fantastic character. It's easy to sell him off as a patriotic figurehead, but he's so much more. The casting, the art direction, the storyline... it all just slots into place. It's gonna be awesome.

We have Thor out very soon, which, while it's first trailer lacked that certain something, managed to grab my attention with it's second one. And then Green Lantern, and it's going to be fascinating seeing DC try and push another of it's much misrepresented cast into the limelight. Is asking for a Flash or Martian Manhunter film too much to ask for? Wonder Woman is absolutely perfect film material, as is Green Arrow, but never gonna happen I think.

What Marvel studios have done with this Iron Man/Thor/Cap continuity is amazing. THESE are comic films. Everything that went before were just films about comic heroes.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
*Reads title* Charging Star!
Sorry but after MvC3 I really love shouting the lines, mainly Cap's and Doom's. I also became more interested with them as well.

Back on topic the trailer overall was very good. I do think pre Cap Steve looks more sickly than puny. And as for Cap using a gun I actually approved. I mean he is a soldier at war, it seems only appropriate he carries a firearm.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
This is how you make a good trailer. Cap had every potential to be really, really bad but this makes me SUPER hyped. I'm really looking forward to this

jVictor

Mar 23, 2010
I haven't been this psyched to see a superhero movie since Iron Man 2. If Thor, Iron Man 3, and the next Incredible Hulk can keep up the energy of the previous movies then the Avengers movie will probably be the biggest undertaking in film since...oh hell, it'll be the biggest undertaking in film period.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Well, they made 1940s Bucky closer to Cap's age in the Ultimate universe, because not everything the Ultimate universe did was bad (like Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury). And I've read some of the original 40s Captain America comics--the level of violence they let a 14-year-old boy involve himself in then wouldn't fly today.

Minor Pet Peeve: Were the Invaders solely an Anglo-American team? No other Allied nation members? Not one Canadian, Australian, Free French, Free Poles, nothing?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
This one is by far the comic movie I'm the most excited for, and I'm a Green Lantern nut.

Falseprophet said:
Minor Pet Peeve: Were the Invaders solely an Anglo-American team? No other Allied nation members? Not one Canadian, Australian, Free French, Free Poles, nothing?
Um, it had Namor, who's Atlantean. Does that count?

Krowded

Feb 26, 2011
(Arnim Zola: Swiss, not Swedish.)

I am so psyched for this! I knew reading comics wasn't a waste of time!

leedwashere

Mar 17, 2011
I never really got into comics as a kid or even as I got older, but dayum if Bob isn't making me get excited for this movie, and for Thor and this whole Avengers thing. It looks like its gonna be awesome!

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Thos three guys you saw shooting at 52 had another appearance in the trailer, later on if you pause at 1:58.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
MovieBob said:
Quick memo to all the lovely, not-at-all-mentally-unsound folks who still won't shut up about the vapid Battle: LA - this is what patriotic action/sci fi looks like.
It's easy to make a patriotic action movie that takes place in World War II.

For more modern-setting patriotic movies, I think Harrison Ford has it covered pretty well with "Clear and Present Danger", "Air Force One", and to a lesser extent "Patriot Games" as well.

"Independence Day" was everything that "Battle: LA" tried to be.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I hope they're still keeping the "Cap's secret wetwork guy" storyline for Bucky Barnes. That would make the dynamic so much more interesting.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I thought it was looking pretty good.. and then I saw the shield throw and I starting planning when I'd get in line to buy tickets.