New Spider-Man Game Turns Webslinger Into Time Master

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Spider-Man Game Turns Webslinger Into Time Master

Spider-Man: Edge of Time will have the wall-crawler swinging through time to save his own skin.

Activision has officially announced a new Spider-Man game coming out of its Beenox studio called Spider-Man: Edge of Time. The game will see both present and future versions of Spider-Man battling to protect the timestream, and the life of Peter Parker himself.

As with Beenox's last Spider-Man title, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions [http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Shattered-Dimensions-Playstation-3/dp/B003ESHRL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301589000&sr=8-1], Edge of Time also features the futuristic Spider-Man 2099. Players will switch between the current day Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099 to prevent a "catastrophic future" brought about by the untimely death of Peter Parker.

Activision touts Edge of Time's "cause-and-effect" gameplay, which will see players' actions have an impact on the future. Examples haven't been provided yet, but presumably the current day defeat of a super villain or saving a civilian could help or harm Spider-Man 2099 in unexpected ways.

Beenox is working with longtime comic book scribe Peter David on Edge of Time's storyline, who is also the co-creator of Spider-Man 2099. More information will be available at a WonderCon 2011 [http://www.comic-con.org/wc/] panel on April 2, 2011, so hopefully some of it will leak outside of the convention's walls. Spider-Man: Edge of Time is expected for release in fall 2011.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Puddle Jumper said:
Instead of going with the far more engaging time period, Spider-Man Noir, ... they go with the least interesting levels in Shattered Dimension, 2099. That's just swell.
Noir was great and all, but a game about it would turn unto splintercell at best

I keep trying to like these after ultimate and spidey 1, stop fucking up activision. PWEASE!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
So, one CoD-game every year and now also one Spider-Man game every year.

Too bad though that, unlike CoD, the Spider-Man games were getting bad right from the start.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Why not make a sequel to Ultimate Spiderman? The biggest problem with the last game was how thin it was spread.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Puddle Jumper said:
Don't you mean it would turn in to Thief? Or Hitman?
I think not. Thief was far too engaging and good to be successfully copied and Hitman is completely different than hiding in the shadows and grabbing people. Splinter cell is the creation of both hitman and thief giving it to MGS. It is the most mish mashed stealth game yet it manages to be un-engaging and a little boring at best which is exactly what spiderman games have devolved into(I loved ultimate spiderman and Spiderman 2 on console but they were repetitive)

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
good. 2099 is my favourite alternate setting.i prefer to see some focus on only 2 settings and see them done right than to see 4 mediocre settings (like in the previous spidey game).

Oct 30, 2010
I loved the style of the 2099 levels. Noir was too much like worse Arkham Asylum (it was still good, just worse). I think the fact it's a completely different person under the mask makes switching between settings more interesting.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Why does he look muscled in that image? Spider-Man isn't muscley.

At any rate, this sounds like it could be a cool game with a compelling story. Yes, Spider-Man games have oscillated between mediocre and rather good, but that gives this game about a 50% chance of being rather good!

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Forget this crap and make a Dr Doom game. In the Marvel 2099 universe the doom from our world goes to the future saves Latvaria and becomes its leader (like always) and almost creates world peace.

OR mabye Ghost Rider 2099 or any Ghost Rider.

OR Dr Strange

or Dr Doom and Dr Strange co-op adventures like when they teamed up to fight Mephisto and save some relative of Doom's.

Botomline: Dr Doom is a time traveling warlock scientist who still hasn't got a game.

BTW: I LOVE spiderman and have over 100 Spidey comics mostly back from the Astoudning Spiderman days I think. Spiderman even introduced me to Dr Strange (Though X-men brought Dr Doom to my attention

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
As long as they make it free roam and not level based like the last one, I'm sold. Not being able to swing around New York freely drains almost every bit of fun away from Spiderman for me. Shattered Dimensions had its fun parts, but suffered massively from the linear feeling and lack of freedom.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Greeeeaaaaat the only reason I loved the last one was Noir, and now this. They stumbled upon something great and ignored it.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
alrekr said:
OR mabye Ghost Rider 2099 or any Ghost Rider.
If they did make another Ghost Rider game I hope it will be way better than the last one. All it was was a terrible God of War ripoff, right down to Ghost Rider's weapons.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
has there ever been a game where the goal was to stop people with noble intentions from changing the past? Like stopping someone from killing Hitler because it would screw up the timeline.

Might make an interesting story line. Like in the game mentioned above, someone goes back in time to prevent Gwen Stacy from dying (40 year old spoiler) and Spiderman has to make sure the killing still happens because it would destroy the future.

I know City on the Edge of Forever dealt with this issue, but i can't think of a game.

EDIT - just remembered the central plotline of Red Alert, but i don't think anyone tries to prevent Einstein from achieving his initial goal, let alone the player.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Apparently I am the only one who somewhat enjoyed Shattered Dimensions.
I assure you, you are not.
And on that note, seeing how I liked their last Spidey game, more power to the guys and gals at Beenox!