Peter Jackson Confirms He's Shooting The Hobbit at 48 FPS

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Peter Jackson Confirms He's Shooting The Hobbit at 48 FPS

The New Zealand director is spearheading a film revolution to increase the fidelity of the projected image.

A couple of weeks ago we reported on James Cameron's initiative to increase the frame rates of film capturing and projecting from 24 frames per second [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108902-James-Cameron-Wants-Game-Like-Frame-Rates-for-Film]. Movies have been shown at that frame rate since the 1920s not for any better reason than it was the cheapest way to get decent sound. Now that film technology has improved so much, and with the advent of 3D, Cameron and a few other directors are championing the transition to frame rates as high as 48 or 60 FPS. One of the directors mentioned was Peter Jackson, who confirmed on his Facebook page today that he is indeed shooting The Hobbit at 48 FPS and so far the results have been amazing.

"We've been watching Hobbit tests and dailies at 48 fps now for several months, and we often sit through two hours worth of footage without getting any eye strain from the 3D," Jackson wrote. "It looks great, and we've actually become used to it now, to the point that other film experiences look a little primitive. I saw a new movie in the cinema on Sunday and I kept getting distracted by the juddery panning and blurring. We're getting spoilt!"

Jackson explained that he wasn't sure why the standard of 24 fps lasted as long as it did. "We have lived with 24 fps for 9 decades - not because it's the best film speed (it's not by any stretch), but because it was the cheapest speed to achieve basic acceptable results back in 1927 or whenever it was adopted."

The director acknowledged that some will balk at the change but he's confident that he is riding the format shift wave. "Film purists will criticize the lack of blur and strobing artifacts, but all of our crew--many of whom are film purists--are now converts," Jackson said. "You get used to this new look very quickly and it becomes a much more lifelike and comfortable viewing experience. It's similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs."

As Jackson notes, The Hobbit will be the first widely distributed film to be shot and projected at 48 fps when it releases in December 2012. His partners at Warner Bros. are on board and there will likely be 10,000 screens worldwide who will be able to handle the new format by then.

A big movie like The Hobbit is a great vehicle for this kind of change, and I'm all for it. Hollywood outsider Peter Jackson is the perfect guy to champion the shift to the higher fidelity frame rates that will revolutionize the film industry.

Viva la revolucion!

Source: Peter Jackson's Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/48-frames-per-second/10150222861171558]

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I strongly suspect that this will not make any difference at all. But whatever, Jackson. You must have your reasons.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I hoed there was something they could do about the blurry images in 3d... I could hardly stomach Clash of the titans. (not only because it was arse)
glad its as simple as upping the framerate!

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I guess this means that movies will take up double the memory they do now. Imagine a 1080p, 3D, 48FPS , 2 hour movie: it'd take three Blue-Ray discs to fit it.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Good for him, can't wait to see it :D

Problem is my lowly local theater will probably not be one of the venues where this film can be shown, even by then.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Explains all the motion blur and difficulty focusing i've been noticing. I was just spoiled by games this whole time.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
googleback said:
I hoed there was something they could do about the blurry images in 3d... I could hardly stomach Clash of the titans. (not only because it was arse)
glad its as simple as upping the framerate!
if memory serves clash of the titans wasnt filmed in 3d but was later edited to 3d which makes a great deal of difference

as for the hobbit i hadnt even heard that it was green lit after some problems peter jackson was having and im glad they seem to have been resolved and as for the 48 fps i hope it knocks me out of my socks when i see it

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
HankMan said:
He Wouldn't be Peter Jackson if he didn't push the boundaries as far as he could.
It is good to see that he is maintaining that. Usually influential directors forget what got them where they are.
Ekonk said:
I strongly suspect that this will not make any difference at all. But whatever, Jackson. You must have your reasons.
It depends on your perception. Some people can actually perceive the frames at current speeds. That might be one good reason why 3D in cinema can make a number of people queasy. Higher framerate could alleviate that.
With digital technology in filming, it only makes sense to increase the framerate as you don't have to worry about spending money on more film to do so.
The tradeoff might mean larger file size for streaming and downloading of films online, but that should be adjustable for such.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So is Peter Jackson finally (reluctantly) enjoying filming the Hobbit. About time XD

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
Spangles said:
I don't want movies as clinical as music has become.
The example that was given would translate as "this technology is newer and better" to most people; which is what was meant by it, rather than any specific comparisons between music and film.

All that this will do is fit twice as many frames into a second, making the film smoother to the human eye. I wouldn't make it more "clinical".

I'm thrilled by this, it's about damn time really.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oh boy! I sure do hope they raise it to 120fps, then we can all enjoy the quality it will produce for those with LCD monitors >.>

Sarcasm aside, the raising of the Fames Per Second could truly mean the very end of DVDs...For films.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"We've been watching Hobbit tests and dailies at 48 fps now for several months, and we often sit through two hours worth of footage without getting any eye strain from the 3D," Jackson wrote.
Wait... what?

The Hobbit is going to be in 3D.

Eaarrg. Is that really necessary?

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
Spangles said:
"It's similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs."

Huh?.. CD's was the worst thing to happen to real musical sound ever.

Cd's 'are' clinically sharper, but you lose the warmth and vibration of the upper and lower harmmonics.. and no amount of high bitstream will put that back.

I don't want movies as clinical as music has become.
maybe it's to make pirated movies more enjoyable