Another Earth Looks Like Some Smart and Haunting Sci-Fi

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Another Earth Looks Like Some Smart and Haunting Sci-Fi

A new sci-fi film due out this July looks like it might be one of the most thoughtful things to hit theaters this summer.

Not all science fiction movies have to be filled with action to be entertaining works of art. Occasionally, we get a thoughtful, intelligent movie released contains both a plot and characters that audiences respond to. They're rare, but they stand out for their rarity, and it looks like Another Earth is set to be one of those films.

Basically, the movie is an already complicated love story -about a girl who falls in love with a man after she killed his family in a drunk driving accident- that gets even more twisty when a duplicate Earth turns up in the sky. Not only that, but it turns out that this second Earth containing doppelgänger versions of us.

Here's the official movie description, as listed on Apple's movie trailer page:

In Another Earth, Rhoda Williams (Brit Marling), a bright young woman accepted into MIT's astrophysics program, aspires to explore the cosmos. A brilliant composer, John Burroughs (William Mapother), has just reached the pinnacle of his profession and is about to have a second child. On the eve of the discovery of a duplicate Earth, tragedy strikes and the lives of these strangers become irrevocably intertwined.

To me, the movie's tone seems reminiscent of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Gattaca-Special-Ethan-Hawke/dp/B0011UF79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303427922&sr=8-1>Gattaca, which is one of my favorite science-fiction movies. Another Earth is due out on July 22nd, though whether or not it will receive a wide release remains to be seen.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Looks a bit pretentious.

I'd rather it be about the repercussions + mystery of discovering a second Earth instead of a love story. A proper head-scratcher.

But that's just me.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
Sorry @Spangles, but this is a science fiction movie. A science fiction movie is any film that involves something imaginary that is based on theoretical science. "The man in the high castle" (my favorite novel of all time) was about a world where the nazis won world war 2, and it was a science fiction novel because it dealt, as this does, with the concept of parrallel universes, a fantastical (but not impossible) idea that is based on a scientific theory.

But I digress. Is the song on the trailer by anthony and the johnsons? It sounds familiar. If anyone knows it I'd appreciate if you could tell me.

Tragiverse

Jul 6, 2010
But it's not "science fiction" in the sense of Star Wars or ET. This is a romance movie with a slight science twist that will probably come off as more of a metaphor in the movie than anything else. The trailer makes the movie seem less about the other Earth and more about the girl and her boy issues.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
The only thing I found wrong with this trailer is that the "second earth" kept changing it's distance to earth // Some shots is was no bigger than the moon, other times it was huge and looked like it was going to crash into us

Otherwise it looks like a fun film

-M

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
It seems interesting. I hope it focuses more on the idea of "another earth" rather than the "this can only end horribly" love story.

Now, I want to meet myself.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
That won't be anything near as interesting and thought provoking at Gattaca.
It's a love story with sci-fi put into it.
If I did that and go to apoloize I would throw my body on the earth and beg for forgiveness.
Or not go there at all.
Or not get drunk and have the accident.
I won't be expecting this in theaters.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Looks good to me.

In these sorts of films, I often find the characters more interesting than the science. In Moon for example, Sam Bell's character is far more interesting than the twist in the story.

Good to see that people are making blind assumptions about the exact details of the script though, from a 2 minute trailer.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Looked good until the love-story nonsense. Not saying it'll be bad or whatever, just saying, looked more promising beforehand.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Fire and Brimstone. This trailer had me hooked until it drifted away from intriguing premise and into "lololololololololovestoryderp". I feel like I just got rick-roll'd by a movie trailer.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Woodsey said:
Looks good to me.

In these sorts of films, I often find the characters more interesting than the science. In Moon for example, Sam Bell's character is far more interesting than the twist in the story.

Good to see that people are making blind assumptions about the exact details of the script though, from a 2 minute trailer.
I'm more suprised you're making the assumption that the characters look interesting. It looked good before the bullshit romance came into it.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
HankMan said:
Jonny49 said:
Looks a bit pretentious.

I'd rather it be about the repercussions + mystery of discovering a second Earth instead of a love story. A proper head-scratcher.

But that's just me.
No it's not.
I think it would be a lot better if it wasn't just about those two and focused on the bigger picture. Looks like a waste of a concept so far.
No it's not?

What makes you say that?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sparrow said:
Woodsey said:
Looks good to me.

I'm more suprised you're making the assumption that the characters look interesting. It looked good before the bullshit romance came into it.
I'm not assuming they're interesting, I'm assuming that its a character piece given the trailer. Therefore, the idea appeals to me. Whether they are interesting or not is a different matter.

Seems to have gotten a very positive reaction so far, going by Wikipedia.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Sure thanks to Cracked we already know there's only two choices when we meet our doppleganger.

You either kill them or fuck them.

reCatchpa:
procedures iparther

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'd imagine that the second Earth would cause catastrophic damage to both worlds due to gravity, tides, and their inevitable collides.

Be a helluvah trippy experience, though, being on an exact replica of Earth that's not really your Earth. The romance is something I'm not really digging as I much prefer the concept and how such a concept would drastically change society as we know it rather than how one girl finds love or something.