this situation would lead to grand scale version of this timeless problem

http://www.cracked.com/blog/human-clones-do-you-fk-or-fight/

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Jonny49 said:
unabomberman said:
Jonny49 said:
Looks a bit pretentious.

I'd rather it be about the repercussions + mystery of discovering a second Earth instead of a love story. A proper head-scratcher.

But that's just me.
That's a rather grim way to look at science fiction.
I'm not saying every sci-fi movie should be like that. There have been loads of great sci-fi films that focus heavily on the human side, some would argue that's what Science Fiction is all about.

I just don't think that this was the right thing for it. There's a second Earth, the amount of stuff you could mess with and create is endless. What happens here because of it's arrival? What's on it? Are they actually the second Earth, or are we? How did it get here or how did we get there?
I just think you're looking at this from the wrong vantage point, that's all. This film in particular was pretty much hauled by just two people, Matt Cahill and Brit Marling and the latter also produces, writes, and stars (she's the chick that looks all angsty in the trailer). It's basically the two of them. On their own. No studio backing whatsoever.

In realistic terms: there's only so much you can get done with so little.

It's no different than if you woke up one day having worked with small, small short films, and close to none acting experience, got a laptop with Final Cut, and said to yourself "I'm gonna make a movie." That's pretty much it, really.

I'll embed the frst part of an interview where she basically explains how they got the thing made and where it's coming from.

I believe we ought to judge stuff based on its own circumstances, don't you think? Had this been a studio backed production then we could have a conversation, but just as this thing stands, well...what would you do to if you were to start writing something tomorrow with only what you have? Sci-fis and thrillers have a specific kind of look that is hard to replicate on a short budget.

They also had issues with the overall distribution. Thankfully for them Fox Searchlight stepped in and signed a deal with them 'cause just two months ago she was giving interviews where she flat out says she doesn't know how they're gonna do for people to watch it.

I'd say they did a bang up job.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Looks more like fantasy than sci-fi to honest, I can't find anything remotely related to science when thinking about a second earth popping up in the sky.

I know it's just semantics and genres are not that important, but I see absolutely no reason to call this a science fiction film based on all that info.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Maybe I want an space war with other earth, you could make a story out of that, maybe some soldiers on both sides meet on the battlefield and realise they are each other and then try to stop the war!

Anyway this film looks interestingish, maybe I'll talk a lady to see it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Jonny49 said:
Looks a bit pretentious.

I'd rather it be about the repercussions + mystery of discovering a second Earth instead of a love story. A proper head-scratcher.

But that's just me.
It's not just you. It's me too.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
It has a stong psychical twist that looks really interesting though I hope that it is more about the Sci-Fi then the love story unless they become one like the family on the other earth is still alive and instead in the car crash she died

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
unabomberman said:
Jonny49 said:
unabomberman said:
Jonny49 said:
Looks a bit pretentious.

But that's just me.
That's a rather grim way to look at science fiction.
I'm not saying every sci-fi movie should be like that. There have been loads of great sci-fi films that focus heavily on the human side, some would argue that's what Science Fiction is all about.

I just don't think that this was the right thing for it. There's a second Earth, the amount of stuff you could mess with and create is endless. What happens here because of it's arrival? What's on it? Are they actually the second Earth, or are we? How did it get here or how did we get there?
I just think you're looking at this from the wrong vantage point, that's all. This film in particular was pretty much hauled by just two people, Matt Cahill and Brit Marling and the latter also produces, writes, and stars (she's the chick that looks all angsty in the trailer). It's basically the two of them. On their own. No studio backing whatsoever.

In realistic terms: there's only so much you can get done with so little.

It's no different than if you woke up one day having worked with small, small short films, and close to none acting experience, got a laptop with Final Cut, and said to yourself "I'm gonna make a movie." That's pretty much it, really.

I'll embed the frst part of an interview where she basically explains how they got the thing made and where it's coming from.

I believe we ought to judge stuff based on its own circumstances, don't you think? Had this been a studio backed production then we could have a conversation, but just as this thing stands, well...what would you do to if you were to start writing something tomorrow with only what you have? Sci-fis and thrillers have a specific kind of look that is hard to replicate on a short budget.

They also had issues with the overall distribution. Thankfully for them Fox Searchlight stepped in and signed a deal with them 'cause just two months ago she was giving interviews where she flat out says she doesn't know how they're gonna do for people to watch it.

I'd say they did a bang up job.
Aye, I see your point and thanks for sharing that interview.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see the film.