First Phantasy Star Online 2 Details Surface

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
First Phantasy Star Online 2 Details Surface

Sega's beloved Phantasy Star Online series is coming back to gamers, and the company's let out some details to tantalize its fans with.

Fans of Phantasy Star Online were heartbroken when Sega <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.171138-Sega-Shutting-Down-Phantasy-Star-Universe-on-PC-PS2>announced that it was shutting down the game's servers a little over a year ago. Now, however, Sega has started teasing out details for Phantasy Star Online 2, including some mighty pretty screenshots.

Sega recently had a promotional event where they got to show off some early footage of the game, which 4Gamer.net was in attendance for. The folks at Andriasang have provided a translation of 4Gamer's report, and the details sound pretty dang interesting:

The ship fleet Oracle (written in Japanese, "&#12458;&#12521;&#12463;&#12523;") which travels the endless stars. A new adventure that awaits on the countless planets. Invasion of the malice that covers the universe. The name of the people who face off against them is Arcs (in Japanese, "&#12450;&#12540;&#12463;&#12473;"). Will the universe be saved, or will it be swallowed up? It's in the hands of the hero (you).

The above is just a super quick translation of 4Gamer's summary. 4Gamer said that it might have made some errors in its transcript.

The video also mentioned a few key words and phrases:

Is there adventure in today's RPGs?
? Always, to a new field. Random field.
? Original Combos
? TPS style
? Jump Action
? Hybrid Custom Action
? It gives you a foreboding feeling -- seamless weather.
? Something will happen every time!? Interrupt event
? Aiming for "Endless Advneture."
? The adventure without end, once again.

You can see all the graphics, in high-resolution over at Andriasang, and the video footage, too. This new Phantasy Star is reportedly in alpha testing right now and will (possibly) be released for the PC later this year.

Source: Andriasang

Apr 28, 2008
Do want. Do want very much.

God knows how much time I put into Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast and Gamecube. If this game is just as fun to play as those, oh man, DO WANT!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:

God knows how much time I put into Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast and Gamecube. If this game is just as fun to play as those, oh man, DO WANT!
If you're like me who played split-screen you will be disapointed to know this is PC exclusive, so no split-screen. :(

Apr 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:

If you're like me who played split-screen you will be disapointed to know this is PC exclusive, so no split-screen. :(
Oh...

Well, hopefully a console version comes along. Hopefully. Please Sega?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:

Oh...

Well, hopefully a console version comes along. Hopefully. Please Sega?
And there is also the fact that apparently the game will be online only...

So far as much as I wanted a PSO2, I am starting to lose hope...

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
A new Phantasy Star game?

I have only played the Universe games and I did like them. Though I don't know if there are that much of a differnce between Online and Universe.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Evilsanta said:
A new Phantasy Star game?

I have only played the Universe games and I did like them. Though I don't know if there are that much of a differnce between Online and Universe.
Online was much better then universe, it didn't have as many enviroment and its story was only there if you wanted it, but it just did things better.

Plus online had split-screen offline, where as Universe had no split-screen. :(

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
As a Phantasy Star Portable 2 player who was extremely late to the PS party...BRING IT.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
Again, massively excited for this. This will probably end up being my only P2P MMO (if it can even be considered such) that I'll play.

Do hope it'll eventually come out on consoles, or at least be able to use a gamepad, because I've never played and Phantasy Star Online/Universe game on PC, and I think it's just better suited for gamepad use (though I may be wrong.) Also they say that they're going to include more ways to customize your characters growth, so maybe a few more classes aside from the Hunter/Ranger/Force trio? (I know about Acromaster and Protranser and so on, but still).

Keeping my eyes on this.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Please make this one, if not better, than the original PSO and for the love of god please don't make it a card battle system (shrugs)

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
Skizle said:
Please make this one, if not better, than the original PSO and for the love of god please don't make it a card battle system (shrugs)
This was posted in another thread, but I think you'll enjoy the gameplay in this vid.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
If those giant swords are the new Sabers, I wonder what Swords will actually look like...
Hope it continues PSO's story also...I liked the Ragol Setting.

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
Oh man. I my friend and I used to blow summers on this game. If it comes out on PS3, then I'm gonna waste a year of my life on it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I just hope they have really good music in it like they did in PSO, god, the end music for Episode 2, makes me cry every time I hear it. I hope they have more moving stories. Like how the last boss use to be a real human but then he was experimented on and slowly lost his humanity and became a monster. So sad every time I play through episode 2

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
I also really hope SEGA will bring this to the consoles. I wonder what it will do for some of us who still play PSU? I also hope that like PSU, it has an offline story mode as well as I really enjoyed it. Please SEGA give us back the Red Boxes, man there are few things back then that I wanted more in a video game than to clear a room and end up popping one!

loomis

Dec 2, 2010
Loved playing the first one on the dreamcast and xbox.

Hated universe at the time it came out because of the story added and after wow being out diden't seem as justified to pay a monthly fee. Also Final Fantasy XII came out at the same time and I had to decide which one to play. Went with final fantasy.

Now though I realize that servers can being expensive to maintain and will definitely jump into this.

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:

Sad time. Loved the hell out of the split screen co-op, it was one of my most played Gamecube games because of that. But still now I get, possibly, the chance to try this online like it says in the title of the game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Am I the only one who misses the original Phantasy Star games?
I would love to see a modern reboot of PS2 or PS4.