8 90s Anime You Shouldn't Skip

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Zontar said:
Hard to have Big O in a 90s anime series when it aired in 2000.
Wikipedia says it started in '99, so I'd argue it squeaks in, even if it didn't finish in the appropriate decade. And yes, any Gundam series wherein one can win by virtue of being a windmill is aces in my book.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeaaaaah....most of that list I have happily avoided, and will continue to do so.

Just because they were popular doesn't mean they were actually good. And I'm sorry, but DBZ is terrible. I could stomach like 1/2 of one episode before I got eternally bored of the screaming and grunting while they just eat up screen time with power-up scenes. Just, bleh.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Silentpony said:
Gundam Wing fuckers! How dare you leave Gundam Fucking Wing off!
Exactly. Thanks to Toonami in the weekday afternoons, Gundam Wing was my first Gundam series. Then they showed G Gundam, then the ORIGINAL Mobile Suit Gundam.
And I say GitS has more in common with Deus Ex, than MGS.

Thiel

Nov 5, 2011
*sigh* If only this article could have been a "25 Animes of the 90s You Shouldn't Skip". Or even 50. It was a great decade for anime.

While they've already been mentioned, I would have loved for Trigun, Slayers, Fushigi Yugi, and Rurouni Kenshin to have made the list in my book.

What hasn't been mentioned are Macross Plus, Perfect Blue, and a little known but amusing movie called Roujin Z. While it was definitely not my cup of tea, I'm surprised no one has brought up Ninja Scroll yet.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Jorpho said:
Seracen said:
Yes, yes you should skip Evangelion. True, it was genre defining, and a pivotal work that stands as a pillar of anime. But damned if it isn't hard to watch now (much like 2001: A Space Odyssey for sci-fi...blasphemy, I know).
Well, you can watch the movies now instead, right?

On that note, I think I'll watch DBZ Kai if I ever get around to it, having never endured the original 300-episode run of endless powering-up.

I used to watch so much more anime than I do now, and there's so much I left unfinished. Sigh.
True enough, although the EVA movies aren't exactly the same thing, more of a re-interpratation, rather than a "director's cut," like DBZ Kai. I hear what you are saying about that backlog though, lol! I have a bookshelf of anime that I've yet to see, not to mention my games and digital backlog!

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
It was basically a list of the most popular animes of its time. Some may like them, some may not. If you're really into anime, then yes, watch some of these or all of them, to atleast understand the genre's history.
To me, THE 90s anime was Moomin.