8 Anime Antagonists That We Secretly Like

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
monkeymangler said:
One: Haman Karn. Know her. Fear her.
Agreed, except she wasn't really likeable to me as a character, which I think was the point of the article.

Two: Sazabi would royally screw Epyon. In today's lesson, we learn why lacking a ranged weapon is truly unfortunate in the Gundam universe. Zero System and Newtype cancel each other out.
Pfft, Epyon was pretty good at proving the exact opposite. Can't kill what you can't hit. And from what evidence the animation gives, it seems gundanium can take a lot more punishment than gundarium. The Gundams are pretty much indestructible. Not to mention having wayyyy better plot armor.

But I was talking more design-wise than fighting capability. I don't like designs with the same disease SEED Destiny had: add more guns everywhere, cuz cool. I liked the simpler designs of Wing and I'm glad Unicorn went back back to that.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
GundamSentinel said:
Lunncal said:
Wow, "Zechs Merquise" over Char, really?

Really?

Reeeaaaaallllllyyyy?

I think even you know that was the wrong choice. I'm not mad, just disappointed.
While I wouldn't have picked Zechs when there are plenty of other choices from Gundam (even from Wing I'd rather pick Treize, that classy bastard), but Char has never interested me that much. Maybe because Zeta was the first UC series I watched and Char was just... around... not doing much. I'd almost say Full Frontal makes a better Char than Char.

Also, Zechs has Brian Drummond ("FOOOOOOOLS!"). And Tallgeese & Epyon > anything Char ever piloted.
Treize would 100% be my choice, knowing the exact number of people who have died in combat, being a skilled fencer and designing some of the strongest suits in the series, he is always so polite and well meaning as well.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
monkeymangler said:
I agree with you to an extent. There is something dangerously alluring about Medusa and the way she plays with her victims and is always one step ahead of the best, and three steps ahead of everyone else. That said, she gave birth to a child for the sole purpose of experimenting and torturing it. She is a world class narcissistic sociopath.

She has the ability to make the audience focus on her because of how interesting she is, a trait normally reserved for heroes. So I can see both sides.
Pretty much agreed. I find it hard to classify Medusa as anything but an absolute monster. Certainly no "but she's got a nice side really".

Also I also find it hard to believe that literally NONE of the antagonist Jaegers of Akame Ga Kill are in this. The entire focus of the series is that all of the characters involved very much have multiple sides to them and its not all black and white morality. Lets review:

- Bols. An enormous and truly terrifying man to behold. Also incredibly shy, a wonderful family man with a wife and a young daughter; both of whom he loves very much. Kind and caring to his allies. Good cook. Goes around incinerating entire villages with his flamethrower on the order of the government; for which he is absolutely wracked with guilt over burning alive people whom he thinks are innocent but does it anyway for the sake of his family.

- Kurome. Quite childish. Likes snacks. Her abilities let her effectively bind and summon up the dead as corpse puppets. Displays quite a bit of affection to her puppets and her allies (to the point of binding her allies when they die so they can be together forever). Ruthless in battle. Child soldier brought up in an extremely vicious environment whereby she'd have been killed if she'd fallen behind her fellow assassin trainees.

- Run. Polite and gentle. Caring and protective of allies. Vicious against enemies. Subversive and manipulative, good at intelligence work.

- Seryu. Incredibly strong sense of justice and right; which manifests itself as an absolute belief in black and white morality. Fanatical patriot. Violent, possibly psychopathic. Convinced that any means justify the ends of destroying evil. Extremely eager to help out friends and people in need, selflessly putting herself out to help "good" people. Essentially very immature.

- Wave. Fairly easy-going and personable. Sympathetic to other people. Noble, protective, dutiful to his country. Frankly is almost a direct parallel to the main protagonist (going so far as to have practically the same special ability later on); albeit on the other side. Pretty sure this was a deliberate decision.

- Dr. Stylish. Perhaps the only true "monster" in the Jaegers. Utterly remorseless, self-serving scientist; obsessed with his human experimentation. Cares absolutely nothing for the pain and suffering he inflicts in the course of his work.

- Esdeath. Sadist who has zero qualms about killing innocents or slaughtering prisoners. Bloodthirsty, violent and vicious as a result of her upbringing and her father's philosophy that the weak should die and the strong should live. Also greatly cares for her subordinates and those who submit to her authority. Has great respect for opponents that can match her. Incredibly charismatic and inspiring and a good, intelligent leader; unwilling to waste lives. Also something of a hopeless romantic.