8 Anime Series on Netflix You Should Spend Your Holiday Watching

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
It makes me sad when I see a list of recommended anime, and don't see Fate/Zero on there.

Fate/Zero is one of the BEST anime I've ever seen and no one I know seems to have watched it! D=
If it makes you feel any better, I've seen it.

Plasmadamage

Jul 24, 2012
SKBPinkie said:
Gonna check out Knights of Sidonia; looks like something I might like. Oh, Trigun and Samurai Champloo are absolutely fantastic. Check it out if you haven't already.

Also, I want Mushishi to be on Netflix, in glorious HD.
If you can stomach the art style, Sidonia is a brilliant series, but the all-CG approach pushed me away. I highly recommend the manga though, which has a much more detailed style and much more content overall.

If you liked Sidona, or you're a fan of creepy-ass cyborgs and obscenely powerful guns, I also recommend Tsutomu Nihei's other works, particularly BLAME! and Biomega. Just don't go in if you're a fan of explanations. The art is simply beautiful though, in a bleak, immensely depressing sort of way

"
"

Edit: Failed at posting images again. Just take it from me, there was a really badass piece of post-apocalyptic arcitecture in that picture

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Valkrex said:
Even if you don't like Kill la Kill you have to admit the sheer spectacle and insanity is at least somewhat entertaining.
Actually, one of the main reason's I'm not big into KLK is because the spectacle wasn't OTT enough. Probably doesn't help that I first watched Gurren Lagaan shortly before watching KLK (and absolutely loved it, bar a couple story arcs), though I doubt I would've liked KLK much even if that wasn't the case. I'll definitely give it to you though that the show is batshit insane. :p

Captcha: "My dear Watson"

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
V da Mighty Taco said:
Valkrex said:
Even if you don't like Kill la Kill you have to admit the sheer spectacle and insanity is at least somewhat entertaining.
Actually, one of the main reason's I'm not big into KLK is because the spectacle wasn't OTT enough. Probably doesn't help that I first watched Gurren Lagaan shortly before watching KLK (and absolutely loved it, bar a couple story arcs), though I doubt I would've liked KLK much even if that wasn't the case. I'll definitely give it to you though that the show is batshit insane. :p

Captcha: "My dear Watson"
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Woah.

I've heard of Gurren Lagaan, and I know it was made by some of the same people, but are you saying its even MORE over-the-top then Kill la Kill?!?!?

If it is I NEED to see it!

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Plasmadamage said:
Take out the quotation marks and the image will work. You have quotes inside the image link that's fucking it all up. Also, don't forget to spoiler tag it as well (spoiler tags should be outside of the img tags).

If anyone is wondering, here is the image Plasmadamage was trying to show you:

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Valkrex said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Woah.

I've heard of Gurren Lagaan, and I know it was made by some of the same people, but are you saying its even MORE over-the-top then Kill la Kill?!?!?

If you like OTT awesome, then I couldn't recommend GL any harder. While it does get incredibly dull at a couple points in the series, overall it's pretty much Rule of Cool incarnate and has played a major part in my hypercynical ass getting back into anime. It's honestly probably my standard now for what I expect out of good action in general, not just from anime but for all mediums as a whole. Seriously, it's like the Metal Gear Rising of anime.

If you don't mind minor spoilers, here's just a couple instances of how OTT Gurren Lagann gets:

#1. During a major battle, the antagonist hops out of his damaged mech and literally fistfights the protagonist, who is still in his (albeit tiny) mech. Yep, you heard me - the villain fights the hero's drill-laden mech with his bare hands.

#2. Our heroes, at some point in the story, literally fight the Moon itself. That's all I should need to say there. XD

The best part about all of this? That not even the craziest the show gets!

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
unless the eastern animation industry realizes how much of a huge marketing field it has in the west ....
it will remain constituted, in the bulk of it, to stupid physiques-dying boobs action pandering to horny teenagers ...
which is a complete shame because those 8 _ and a few more _ are examples of a new form of media that allows for the creation and adaptation of grandiose-scale stories and concepts with a comparably small budget ....

anyway, I also wanted to ask ...
Has Sidonia no kishi actually proofed successful or profitable ?
I already heard that it has a second season coming soon, which is a good sign to say the least ....
but is there any concrete information provided on the subject ?
I'd appreciate any hint~

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
There's not enough good Anime on Netflix yet. This list basically covered all of the good ones barring another 4.

Netflix needs Baccano, DRRRRR!!!!, Phi Brain, K, Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) and others.

Netflix not having Ghost in the Shell is a damn crime.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The Canadian Netfix doesn't have as good a selection as the US one does so I can't get all of those and most of the ones I do get I've seen already. ...and there's no way in hell I'm watching Digimon.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
A.K.B. said:
unless the eastern animation industry realizes how much of a huge marketing field it has in the west ....
it will remain constituted, in the bulk of it, to stupid physiques-dying boobs action pandering to horny teenagers ...
which is a complete shame because those 8 _ and a few more _ are examples of a new form of media that allows for the creation and adaptation of grandiose-scale stories and concepts with a comparably small budget ....
If there is a western market for mature animation with western sensibilities, then maybe the western animation studios should start pandering to that.

The anime industry probably knows that there are more western people than Japanese ones, and therefore a bigger market. They just don't care too much, beyond raking in the serendipidously happen to like Japanese styles, and that there are a handful of artists whose work is a bit closer to western aesthetics than others'.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Kill la Kill and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are good, but it's missing the last part of the latter.

Also, to anyone who's going to watch KNIGHTS OF SIDONIA (caps to get attention), FOR GOD'S SAKE DO IT IN JAPANESE. I personally didn't like it much (it's CGI, the mechs are all identical, and there's a bear for no reason), but it got a hell of a lot better when the voice actors weren't reading verbatim from the most lifeless captions ever.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
"Madoka Magica is an amazing series that centers around a mystical cat that recruits girls to defeat powerful witches."

With a side of subversive horror and existential misery. Seriously, this show is NOT for kids

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
V da Mighty Taco said:
Valkrex said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Woah.

If you like OTT awesome, then I couldn't recommend GL any harder. While it does get incredibly dull at a couple points in the series, overall it's pretty much Rule of Cool incarnate and has played a major part in my hypercynical ass getting back into anime. It's honestly probably my standard now for what I expect out of good action in general, not just from anime but for all mediums as a whole. Seriously, it's like the Metal Gear Rising of anime.

If you don't mind minor spoilers, here's just a couple instances of how OTT Gurren Lagann gets:

#1. During a major battle, the antagonist hops out of his damaged mech and literally fistfights the protagonist, who is still in his (albeit tiny) mech. Yep, you heard me - the villain fights the hero's drill-laden mech with his bare hands.

#2. Our heroes, at some point in the story, literally fight the Moon itself. That's all I should need to say there. XD

The best part about all of this? That not even the craziest the show gets!
This pleases me. I will definitely be checking this show out :D

Hastln

Apr 8, 2013
I get that people liked it as kids, but seriously, digimon is terrible series, there are plenty of series on netflix that are far better

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Valkrex said:
Bad news is that it's not on Netflix, so you'll probably have to resort to something like Crunchyroll to see it. Still worth it, though.

One last thing - I'd personally recommend watching the actual anime first, before watching the movie. The movie goes over the same plot as the tv series, but does take some liberties with it. While a lot of people love the movie and I still haven't seen it, what I have seen and heard about some of these changes made don't quite sit right with me personally. Who knows, maybe you'll love the movie, but I'd at least watch the original series first before moving on to that.

EDIT: I'd also recommend the sub version if you can. While I'm definitely not one of those guys who believes subs are always better than dubs (oh, hello there Hellsing: Ultimate and Black Lagoon!), GL's dub loses a lot of the raw energy that a show like this thrives on. If subs don't bother you, go sub all the way here.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Hastln said:
I get that people liked it as kids, but seriously, digimon is terrible series, there are plenty of series on netflix that are far better
Given the text under it, I think that particular entry is a bit tongue in cheek :p

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
That Psycho-pass sounds alot like minority report are they somewhat alike and is it any good?

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
Kill La Kill- The only anime I've ever really enjoyed... and it didn't even make the list.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Good list all things considered. Too bad Netflix doesn't have much anime where I live, not that I have a Netflix account but still.

Is Cowboy Bebop on Netflix? If so then that also deserved a spot on the list since it's one of those anime that appeals to many people who don't even like anime.