8 Awesome Characters That Started as Sidekicks

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
8 Awesome Characters That Started as Sidekicks

8 seriously cool characters that started out as sidekicks.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Shouldn't it be 9 seeing how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver both share a number spot?

Also I kinda side that most of the sidekicks are from Batman. Do don't quote me on suggesting other better sidekick (don't know that many), I just thought there were more than just Batman sidekicks?

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
No love for Kid Omni-Man? That kid takes a savage beating and keeps on goin (or at least as far as I have gotten)

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
I really wish people that think they know about comics would stop saying Aquaman sucks. Any time someone says that it clearly shows they know absolutely nothing about the character or comics in general. All they do is regurgitate pop culture references over and over again without actually getting to know the character even slightly. Just remember, Batman was a laughable joke for the longest time because of Adam West before Tim Burton made it awesome in the publuc eye. So stop saying Aquaman sucks because of the crappy Super Friends cartoon. Everyone sucked in that turd show. God. Just read god damn Geoff John's run on the freaking character. Tired of this hate for a character that isn't even bad. He is a great hero and extremely powerful.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Orga777 said:
I really wish people that think they know about comics would stop saying Aquaman sucks. Any time someone says that it clearly shows they know absolutely nothing about the character or comics in general. All they do is regurgitate pop culture references over and over again without actually getting to know the character even slightly. Just remember, Batman was a laughable joke for the longest time because of Adam West before Tim Burton made it awesome in the publuc eye. So stop saying Aquaman sucks because of the crappy Super Friends cartoon. Everyone sucked in that turd show. God. Just read god damn Geoff John's run on the freaking character. Tired of this hate for a character that isn't even bad. He is a great hero and extremely powerful.
I actually know quite a bit about him, but you just cant escape a stigma of "lameness" when your name is Aquaman.

OT: All Bat-fam, as expected. And why not? Most sidekicks are just weaker, younger versions of their mentors. The Bat-fam has always had the privilege of not having the same powers or being related to their mentors.

Though I think the list really needs Roy Harper and especially Wally West.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Seriously, these galleries are so lame. Kitty Pryde was a badass from the start. She never felt like a sidekick, her abilities are crazy powerful. My first batch of comics I had as a tiny kid was Kitty Pryde fighting a demon alone on Christmas, Kitty Pryde/Wolverine #4 where she fights a demonic possesion, and Amazing Spiderman #281.

Kitty Pryde being awesome happened in her first year. Her and Silver Sable were my first introduction to comic books.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was expecting more DC than Marvel here, what with Marvel's thing against sidekicks. But I would have been mad if Bucky/Winter Soldier was left off the list. I'm also surprised to see the Falcon here.

Apr 17, 2009
09philj said:
RealRT said:
lame superhero, Aquaman
Aaaaaaaaand your geek card is revoked.
Bruce Timm-verse Aquaman is cool, can't say the same for every other incarnation.
Yeah but you could say that about any hero. There's series where they're depicted well and issues where they're...not. Do we say Batman is lame just because he was Crazy Steve in All-Star Batman and Robin, or drowning in high camp in the Adam West series? Aquaman just gets it because its an easy joke for lazily written shows like Family Guy or Bing Bang Theory to make

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Bob_McMillan said:
I actually know quite a bit about him, but you just cant escape a stigma of "lameness" when your name is Aquaman.
Cause Batman sounds so great? A guy dressed like a rat with wings that eats bugs and fruit? Not many super heroes have great names. What matters is the characters. Doctor Doom has a pretty silly name too, but he is hands down the greatest Marvel villain of all time. Heck, he is just straight up one of Marvel's best overall characters. He is so good that no matter how terrible Fox treats him, and no matter how much Marvel has been mitigating the Fox properties and killing off big names like freaking Wolverine, they STILL don't have the guts to get rid of Doctor Doom in the comics. So who cares about the name? Aquaman hasn't been lame since the Silver Age where almost everybody in DC was lame, including Batman. The only reason people think Aquaman is lame is because they let pop culture dictate what they think. All because of the lame Super Friends show from the 70s... What a shame. Again, it is like saying Batman is lame because of Adam West or because of the crappy Batman and Robin movie. It is short sighted and totally misrepresents the character as a whole.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
With the Aquaman thing, people do still refer to the Superfriends Aquaman. Much like Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet or Hank Pym beating his wife, certain anchors will be attached to Aquaman's ass until the end of time.

But, in fairness, some non-Superfriends versions of Aquaman have been really lame. For example, DC's first attempt to shake off the Superfriends stigma for Aquaman (Yes, I'm old.):

Yeah, that one only lasted one mini-series and a few guest appearances. A planned second mini-series dropped off the earth along with the costume, never to be spoken of again.

Also, I gotta say this: Really? Kitty Pryde's best defining moment was phasing into a bullet?!? Wow. Just wow.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
thepyrethatburns said:
Yeah. That costume is bad. Like this one:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/2185507-z1.jpg
Comic writers mess things up all the time for every character at some point. I mean as a whole, though, the characters aren't as bad as pop culture says they are. lol XD

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Orga777 said:
thepyrethatburns said:
Yeah. That costume is bad. Like this one:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/2185507-z1.jpg
Comic writers mess things up all the time for every character at some point. I mean as a whole, though, the characters aren't as bad as pop culture says they are. lol XD
Definitely. As one of DC's longest running properties with many solo titles to his name, it is usually* a pity that Aquaman continues to be judged by a single TV show where he was less useful than a blue space monkey.

*I say "usually" because I still sometimes get a laugh out of cherrypicking scenes out of old DC media involving the big seven. Yes, that definitely includes Batman.

And yet people still don't get where Fredric Wertham got some of his ideas about Batman and Robin.