8 Canceled Games We Wish Weren't

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
thenewguy512739 said:
I'm going on a bit of a tangent, but I will forever be salty about Arkane's "Prey". I'm sure it'll be good, but if you're not going to follow the spirit of the original, then it's not a re-imagining but identity theft.
I'm honestly with you there.
I'm pretty hyped for the new Prey but I don't consider it a reboot or re-imagining or whatever, I treat it like a seriously different thing that just happens to have the same name.

And it shouldn't. They could have spared themselves some bad PR if they just called it something else because right now half of all the conversation about it is how much it doesn't look like original Prey or it's sequel.

Anyway.

Like I said, pretty hyped but they could have avoided some problems with a simple name change.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Silent Hills looked amazing. Ive only seen video of others playing it but the atmosphere was something else.

I always wanted the follow up to Gladius for the original xbox. Lucas arts studios folded first.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hawki said:
RJ 17 said:
The funny thing about Ghost is that Blizzard was indeed working on numerous other projects, so they outsourced it to a 3rd party studio. The game was coming along, but when Blizzard checked in to see how things were going, they saw that it was turning out to be a generic 3rd person shooter set in the SC universe while Blizzard was wanting it to be more of a stealth-based Metal Gear Solid-like game. So the scrapped it.
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft%3A_Ghost#Development

It's actually the other way round - Blizzard was aiming for a more actiony game, while Nihilistic was going down the Metal Gear route.
Fair enough, still makes Blizzard out to be the frickin' morons though. In fact I'd say that makes them even bigger morons for wanting a generic shitty 3rd person shooter instead of what could have been a really sweet stealth based game. :p

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Prey 2 was canceld because Human head Studio's didn't want to be bought out. In return Bethesda financially ruined them instead. It's just a slap in the face to see a game that has nothing to do with it suddenly being calle Prey aswel. And people are suprised I don't like that company, they have a track record of screwing over developers.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Fear Effect Inferno.

I'll add Thrill Kill as a pity add because I played it and it was meh but it did seem like it was far enough along that they should have just released it. Also, if a "destined for the bargain bin title" like Scalebound can be added, I figure I can be forgiven for including Thrill Kill.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
RJ 17 said:
Hawki said:
RJ 17 said:
The funny thing about Ghost is that Blizzard was indeed working on numerous other projects, so they outsourced it to a 3rd party studio. The game was coming along, but when Blizzard checked in to see how things were going, they saw that it was turning out to be a generic 3rd person shooter set in the SC universe while Blizzard was wanting it to be more of a stealth-based Metal Gear Solid-like game. So the scrapped it.

It's actually the other way round - Blizzard was aiming for a more actiony game, while Nihilistic was going down the Metal Gear route.
Fair enough, still makes Blizzard out to be the frickin' morons though. In fact I'd say that makes them even bigger morons for wanting a generic shitty 3rd person shooter instead of what could have been a really sweet stealth based game. :p
"Morons" is too strong a word IMO, but based on what we know of Ghost's development and cancelation, a lot of it can be laid upon Blizzard's mismanagement of the project.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
American Tanker said:
Ugh, Star Wars 1313 should have been made.

God DAMN you all, Disney.
This, cancelling Clone Wars only to replace it with the objectively inferior Rebels (which by now has shown it's not going to stand up to CW's quality), killing the EU only to replace it with the overwhelmingly inferior Star Wars Canon, and movies that are of comparable quality to the prequels (granted more often the third one overall but still dragging down the average quality of the movies as a whole) makes the Lucas Arts/Films purchase one of the worst things to ever happen to nerdom.

I honestly with George had sold it to Fox. I seriously doubt they'd have made things worst then this, and it would have helped balance things in overall culture broadcasting. Disney needs to get Standard Oil'd.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Saelune said:
thenewguy512739 said:
I'm going on a bit of a tangent, but I will forever be salty about Arkane's "Prey". I'm sure it'll be good, but if you're not going to follow the spirit of the original, then it's not a re-imagining but identity theft.
I wanted to know what happened to Tommy.
He is more Turok than Turok (at least the first 2 titles)! I want more Native American spirituality in my games, authentically done, at least in spirit (pun intended).

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Okay, now I'm neither a lawyer nor an accountant, but I'm pretty sure that "$12 of the profits" isn't what the contract specified. You might want to fix that typo. Also the one about WOW's fanbase "waining", since that's not a verb.

Starcraft Ghost... man, I remember hearing about that back when it was first announced. I remember a discussion, a few years later, where someone posted a picture of the statue of Nova that Blizzard had built, and someone saying "look at the detail in that butt! Just imagine what those graphics will be like!", and thinking that some people can't even do lechery right.

Anyway, two more that no one's mentioned:
Star Control 4 (or, later, "Starcon", since stupid naming conventions aren't exclusive to this century). After a disappointing third installment, Accolade was all set to return to form- or to branch the series off in a new direction, or possibly do something else altogether. A lot of what was leaked contradicted other stuff that was leaked. Still, all that potential, blown to hell. And then, a decade and a half later, the rights to make a new Star Control game wind up with Stardock, of all companies. And the head writer is a guy from Cracked. I'm... less than optimistic about it.

The bigger one, however, is Babylon 5: Into The Fire. This was months away from release when Sierra canceled it. It looked damn cool, and if the thought of flying a Starfury into a battle doesn't send a tingle down your spine, then haven't seen a Starfury in action lately. And that's the kicker: it was 1999. The series had just ended the previous year- and I mean just that; it wasn't canceled, it ended, which is very rare, at least in American television- and Crusade not being what it should've been (and getting canceled before its first episode aired, which I do believe is some kind of record), it could've buoyed interest in the series and let us get more from the universe. Remember all those other Babylon 5 games? No, of course not; there weren't any. (Though there was a surprisingly long-lasting tabletop wargame, which eventually saw a public spinoff release with a stupid amount of conversions; ever wonder who'd win in a fight between a fully loaded Sathanas superjuggernaut and six Borg cubes? I can tell you.) But Into the Fire got canceled, Sierra went bust, and so we got no games at all (until the Hard Light people got up and did it themselves, but still, what could have been...).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Dungeon Keeper 3. The trailers for it were on the disc with the Dungeon Keeper 2 expansion. Then EA just axed it never to be spoke of again, seemingly.

Not quite "canceled", but the latter end of the Ultima series, which was just a mess of reduced budgets, deadlines, or cut content.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hawki said:
RJ 17 said:
Hawki said:
RJ 17 said:

"Morons" is too strong a word IMO, but based on what we know of Ghost's development and cancelation, a lot of it can be laid upon Blizzard's mismanagement of the project.
They were morons, I say! MORONS! :p

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Forget about DOOM 4. From all the content than has leaked, I would rather have DOOM 2016 than anything that was going to be released as DOOM 4. That game sounded insipid and stupid in the worst possible way, and with a lot more in common with Call of Duty than DOOM... I would much rather they rerelease Rage or Legendary and called it DOOM 4.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
What? No one bringing up Star Wars Battlefront 3? The game that was nearly finished before being scrapped for reasons? Absolute travesty there. Especially when EA pissed on the wound and released the shambling corpse known as Star Wars Battlefront.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
"We Are The Mods"

I will be forever sad about this one.

I absolutely loved "The Warriors" game, and when I heard that the same folks were not just planning another brawler in it's style, but that it would be set during the late 60's youth culture gang wars in London (a cultural subject I am intensely fascinated with), I was ready to stuff my money down their throats for it.

Alas, nothing.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
1-6. Not Scalebound.
7 Scalebound! :( I really wanted not only a new Platinum game, but also a game where you can be a dragon. And I can't have either.
8 Dunno if it would have been the game to bring Silent Hill back but it's a shame.