8-Core CPU Heads Xbox One's Hardware Specs

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
The amount of misinformation in this thread is staggering. Let's get a few things straight.

You CAN use GDDR memory as main system memory. The XBOX 360 has done this for years with GDDR3. GDDR tends to be quite a bit faster than standard DDR as far as effective clock speed goes. This gives you more bandwith to work with.

Both the PS4 and the One use x86-64 CPUs. x86 is the official moniker for the architecture. x64 is just the x86-64 extension that allows it to use more than 4GB of system memory. The original architecture is still x86, and the 64 bit extension is AMD64 originally, and the intel implementation (licensing from AMD) is Intel64. It's the same architecture But nobody said x64 because it's still x86.

The CPU and GPU that is being used in the One and the PS4 is still orders of magnitudes faster than current consoles. The GPU in the current 360 is based on the old ATi X1900 chip- and is about as powerful as a modern intel integrated GPU, and the PS3 is essentially a Geforce 7800. And the CPUs blow the doors off the old consoles as well.

Something you probably didn't know, did you know that the original XBOX used an Intel Celeron 733Mhz CPU? Bet you didn't. Did you know that the 360 CPU is a Tri-core 3.2Ghz chip but is in-order, so it is actually fairly weak? The cell core was a stupid idea that didn't work and was difficult to program for.

By Microsoft and Sony switching to x86, it allows all 3 systems to use the same software. they don't have to recompile for RISC, x86, AND the proprietary IBM Cell architecture. It's all just x86, which makes it easier to have consistency in performance ,and cheaper to make games.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
So essentially we have a lukewarm PC where we have no control over how we are allowed to use it. Makes about as much sense as buying an automobile you are only allowed to drive on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays.

compaqdeskpro

Apr 15, 2013
They will get my money if the next Halo and Forza are exclusives, that's really the only reason I own an Xbox. I'm still not paying for online access.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hope that the 8 core processor works out better than AMD's current FX line of processors. For what is on offer, it performs very poorly. The whole shared RAM thing is still annoying. Sure, I only have 3 Gigs of RAM on my 660ti, but it's dedicated and destroys. It's the same disadvantage as the PS4. All well, I hope it works out for gamers. Though... we have yet to see anything about actual games... which makes it a pathetic show. I'm letting my hatred for Micro$hit get into this. I'm grateful that the consoles are moving forward so my PC can stop being held back. Good show. At least they aren't throwing GDDR5 in there, making it more expensive needlessly.

Edit: I would honestly be surprised if any developer can program anything for 8 cores. Parallel processing is the best form of processing, but not too many people can successfully program for that many cores. That is one of the reasons that the AMD FX line performs so poorly. 8 cores is awesome on paper, in practice it was an evolution that came well before it's time.

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
In other words, it's as powerful a machine as my AU$1000 notebook.
Yeah, I don't think I need you, Xbox One.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Soooooooo Microsoft still isn't using bluetooth in its console? That's kinda bullshit because it means you can't use your own bluetooth stuff with it like headsets. Its fucking 2013 Microsoft...

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Lord_Gremlin said:
Well, I'd take pretty graphics first and better physics second, matter of taste. What I will say is that we have no idea just how effective those custom APUs are. We can only guess based on APUs used in PCs. I'll have to see games to make an informed opinion. What I would say is that Sony showed stuff that mid-range PC can't run. Those were stage demos of course too, we'll need to see them in action.
And this is the part all the "well informed" pc gamers are missing. If you put the specs for a ps3 an xbox into a pc you wouldn't even be able run Minecraft. Its about how the games are made and well optimized they are. This might change this generation considering consoles now have similar architecture to pc's but as of right now, comparing console specs to a pc doesn't make sense

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Considering that the XboxOne will always run 3 OS congruently, I have to wonder, just how much RAM will actually be dedicated to gaming? Windows 8 is 2-3 Gigs right there, then they have this Intermediary OS for the Skype, TV, and what not, then they ave the Gaming OS. It wouldn't surprise me if you are only getting 4 Gigs for gaming.
Apparently, 3GB of available RAM is reserved for "system resources"...
:/

link [http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_ones_8gb_ram_is_ddr3.html]

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
So its essentially comparable to the gaming PC that i built for ~600 bucks about a year and a half ago. Thats pretty much right on the money if they want to price the console in the mid 300 and not take a massive hit on the hardware like the PS3 did.

The bit about x86 architecture is awesome tho. It means we'll see faster and better PC ports of console games, so Kudos to you Microsoft, i approve.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
taciturnCandid said:
Strazdas said:
So, basically, what they are giving us is a high end current PC (which is fair, they cant invent soem kind of future technology) and use old 86x architecture.

Well, it seems better than PS4, with as little information as we are given. Still, PCs will get ahead soon, but that is to be expected. Though i think my 4 year old one wont be able to run games made for new generation, well, i plan to upgrade this year anyway.

Capcha: lunchtime
Funny, i actually was eating with colegues while reading this.
No. A midrange pc will beat it while doing a lot more.

In fact, PCs from 2010 already beat this. With a nice quad-core and a decent gpu you will be able to run anything that is put out this generation.

If you spend about the same amount on a PS4 on an upgrade to a PC you will outdo them
it has a 8 core cpu. thats still high-end for PCs. 8GB of DDR3 is still highend for PCs.
Yes, PCs can do a lot more, but at least they didnt put out already outdated technology like nintedo did.
I will get a brand new pc becasue what i ahve currently is nto worth updating, would need to replace everything anyway. It still use PCI ports heh.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Baresark said:
Edit: I would honestly be surprised if any developer can program anything for 8 cores. Parallel processing is the best form of processing, but not too many people can successfully program for that many cores. That is one of the reasons that the AMD FX line performs so poorly. 8 cores is awesome on paper, in practice it was an evolution that came well before it's time.
dont really have to. you can use the "skype crap" for one core, the "tv crap" for 2nd core, the "OS crap" for another 2 cores and your arel eft with a standart 4 core for gaming.
Also while AMD FX performs poorly, why not zoidbergintel? they seem to do fine with 8 cores.

PoolCleaningRobot said:
Soooooooo Microsoft still isn't using bluetooth in its console? That's kinda bullshit because it means you can't use your own bluetooth stuff with it like headsets. Its fucking 2013 Microsoft...
its 2013, bluetooth is outdated nendarthal that is dieing of old age. Wifi took over just like Gaytooth took over from IRDA. Headsets come with wifis now not bluetooths.

PoolCleaningRobot said:
[
And this is the part all the "well informed" pc gamers are missing. If you put the specs for a ps3 an xbox into a pc you wouldn't even be able run Minecraft. Its about how the games are made and well optimized they are. This might change this generation considering consoles now have similar architecture to pc's but as of right now, comparing console specs to a pc doesn't make sense
thank you for a good laugh.
my computer has 4 times less specs than what Xbone is boasting about. it can run minecraft very well. While ia gree that consoles usually get more out of thier specs because PCs are busy being a not-only-games thing (you know something new consoles are goign to try too) the gap is nowhere near that. in fact for all real purposes we can ignore this gap as it depends a lot on your pC setup.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Strazdas said:
taciturnCandid said:
Strazdas said:
So, basically, what they are giving us is a high end current PC (which is fair, they cant invent soem kind of future technology) and use old 86x architecture.

Well, it seems better than PS4, with as little information as we are given. Still, PCs will get ahead soon, but that is to be expected. Though i think my 4 year old one wont be able to run games made for new generation, well, i plan to upgrade this year anyway.

Capcha: lunchtime
Funny, i actually was eating with colegues while reading this.
No. A midrange pc will beat it while doing a lot more.

In fact, PCs from 2010 already beat this. With a nice quad-core and a decent gpu you will be able to run anything that is put out this generation.

If you spend about the same amount on a PS4 on an upgrade to a PC you will outdo them
it has a 8 core cpu. thats still high-end for PCs. 8GB of DDR3 is still highend for PCs.
Yes, PCs can do a lot more, but at least they didnt put out already outdated technology like nintedo did.
I will get a brand new pc becasue what i ahve currently is nto worth updating, would need to replace everything anyway. It still use PCI ports heh.
more cores doesn't mean more power. It is a beefed up version of smartphone processors. A good quadcore pc processor will outpace the ps4's processor by miles.

The galaxy S4 has 8 core jaguar processor and it isn't exactly going to overtake any computers.

Not only that, but the gpu is expected to have the power of a 7850 hd. Which isn't bad, but it isn't the top of the line it says it is. About mid-range.

And 8 gb is fairly standard for gaming pcs nowadays. DDR3 isn't too expensive. GDDR5 is expensive, but that is mostly for GPUs anyways and is terrible to use as standard memory.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Well, I'd take pretty graphics first and better physics second, matter of taste. What I will say is that we have no idea just how effective those custom APUs are. We can only guess based on APUs used in PCs. I'll have to see games to make an informed opinion. What I would say is that Sony showed stuff that mid-range PC can't run. Those were stage demos of course too, we'll need to see them in action.
Minecraft can run on a raspberry pi.

So either last gen consoles are really really bad or your information is bad.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
taciturnCandid said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Minecraft can run on a raspberry pi.

So either last gen consoles are really really bad or your information is bad.
The Pi edition was written in C++ so it runs a heap load more efficiently than the PC version which is written in Java.
So while the Java version would not run on any of the current consoles, any version specifically compiled for that platform using a more efficient language would.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
taciturnCandid said:
more cores doesn't mean more power. It is a beefed up version of smartphone processors. A good quadcore pc processor will outpace the ps4's processor by miles.

The galaxy S4 has 8 core jaguar processor and it isn't exactly going to overtake any computers.

Not only that, but the gpu is expected to have the power of a 7850 hd. Which isn't bad, but it isn't the top of the line it says it is. About mid-range.

And 8 gb is fairly standard for gaming pcs nowadays. DDR3 isn't too expensive. GDDR5 is expensive, but that is mostly for GPUs anyways and is terrible to use as standard memory.
Fiar enough, it all depends on type ofp rocessor. still you rarely see 8 cores on PCs. But yeah its a jaguar one here so you are correct.
7850... isnt that kinda old.... like so old it cant run new games? or am i mixing something?
well i do fine with my 4GB DDR2 really, but my machine is 4 years old so yeah. still i msotly saw 4 GB ddr3s and not 8 but its a fair point.