8 Defunct Game Studios that We Wish Would Reopen

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Defunct Game Studios that We Wish Would Reopen

We've lost far too many great development studios in the past, and we'd really like to have these eight back.

Read Full Article

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Ehhhmmmm..... Yeah.
I'm sorry, where is Bullfrog?
I mean, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Populous?

Founded by Peter Molyneux.
Molyneux might not be the most stable person, but his studio did make some great and important games

I could also mention the original Black Isle Studios.
Although Interplay restarted them, but seems to have next to nothing to do with the original studio that made Planescape: Torment and the Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games.

Sep 14, 2009
pandemic all day long. battlefront 3 pleasee

bullfrog and black isle as well though, would be quite the treat with modern flair added to those studios.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Interesting list. I didn't recognize a lot of the studios, but I sure as hell recognized the games. I understand why Lucasarts wasn't on the list, but they're the one I wish would come back the most.

I've still got a soft spot for lucasarts from their adventure game days, and I did really enjoy all of the star wars stuff they were putting out for the longest time. I wasn't surprised Disney shut them down after buying out Lucas, but I still long for the days when their name on a game meant I was going to play it.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
flying_whimsy said:
Interesting list. I didn't recognize a lot of the studios, but I sure as hell recognized the games. I understand why Lucasarts wasn't on the list, but they're the one I wish would come back the most.

I've still got a soft spot for lucasarts from their adventure game days, and I did really enjoy all of the star wars stuff they were putting out for the longest time. I wasn't surprised Disney shut them down after buying out Lucas, but I still long for the days when their name on a game meant I was going to play it.
I miss the days when I felt that way about Squaresoft.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I miss Clover Studio, creators of the wonderful Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand. Long live Clover!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Man, I still get pissed when I think about what happened to Westwood. Red Alert 2 is one of my two favorite RTS games of all time (the other being Dawn of War and its expansions). Fuck you, EA.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I miss Clover Studio, creators of the wonderful Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand. Long live Clover!
Damn straight, I loved the Viewtiful Joe games. It was the only Capcom-published series I really got into. Figures it turned out to be the one that was abandoned in medias res instead of getting a buttload of sequels/expansions.

Cry me a river, Mega Man fans.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
No Troika?
Seriously, they didn't last long, but Arcanum and VTM: Bloodlines count among my favourite RPGs to this day.

Honestly, far as I'm concerned, this list could well be "troika" repeated 8 times over.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I hear the group that made Age of Empire II is now defunct.

That's too bad. I enjoyed the heck out of that game.

EDIT: ..and then I read the list to find it on #6. Heh.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
Extra-Ordinary said:
A ballad for you, Retro Studios.
And we'll never see another Metroid Prime.
Retro Studios is still very much alive.

I'd add Paragon Studios to the list, partially to get City of Heroes back but also to see what else they were cooking up before they were unceremoniously closed by NCsoft.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
WildFire15 said:
Extra-Ordinary said:
A ballad for you, Retro Studios.
And we'll never see another Metroid Prime.
Retro Studios is still very much alive.

I'd add Paragon Studios to the list, partially to get City of Heroes back but also to see what else they were cooking up before they were unceremoniously closed by NCsoft.
Say what?
Okay, never mind then, what have I been thinking of?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
JenSeven said:
Ehhhmmmm..... Yeah.
I'm sorry, where is Bullfrog?
I mean, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Populous?

Founded by Peter Molyneux.
Molyneux might not be the most stable person, but his studio did make some great and important games

I could also mention the original Black Isle Studios.
Although Interplay restarted them, but seems to have next to nothing to do with the original studio that made Planescape: Torment and the Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games.
Man, Bullfrog would have been good. Great suggestion.

I left Black Isle off specifically because they're back again.

Ugicywapih said:
No Troika?
Seriously, they didn't last long, but Arcanum and VTM: Bloodlines count among my favourite RPGs to this day.

Honestly, far as I'm concerned, this list could well be "troika" repeated 8 times over.
I loved me some Troika. They were on my short list. Plus, Temple of Elemental Evil is underrated as hell.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
As I was going through this list, I was nodding my head and thinking "it totally sucks that these places shut down" then when I saw that picture of Age of Empires 2, my heart sank a bit, then it was hit again at the picture of C&C:Generals and now I'm sad :'(

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Was hoping for Free Radical Design to be somewhere on this list. It's really sad how they met their end. Crushed between EA, LucasArts and their own pride.

I'm most frustrated with LucasArts, though. They literally pulled the plug on a project because it had too much effort going into it.

NeutralStasis

Sep 23, 2014
Although Star Citizen is going to come out next year, I will always miss Origin. EA is a bastard that has destroyed many of the studios I used to love.