8 Defunct Game Studios that We Wish Would Reopen

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
Ugicywapih said:
No Troika?
Seriously, they didn't last long, but Arcanum and VTM: Bloodlines count among my favourite RPGs to this day.

Honestly, far as I'm concerned, this list could well be "troika" repeated 8 times over.
Although a buggy mess, The Temple of Elemental Evil game Troika did is actually one of my fave games of all time. I also loved Arcanum. Yeah, another vote for Troika here.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Gotta disagree with Irrational. Some of their early games were great but from Bioshock on they didn't release anything able to rise above the level of mediocre.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
May I just add Factor 5 to the list? I know many didn't much care for "Lair", but I really miss the old "Rogue Squadron" games.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
You'd think in an industry highly dependent on artistry, brand recognition, up front development costs, and fan loyalty, success would make a studio untouchable by corporate executives. You'd think games development would be an example of capitalist meritocracy in action. Nope. EA, for example, interferes with development, ruins the game, then shuts down the studio. You'd think a company like EA would deservedly crash after such stupid business practices. Not whilst they have cash cows like Madden or Battlefield. That is, whilst people continue to buy barely improved sequels, good studios will continue to be destroyed. Stupidity and mediocrity breaks excellence. Lets hope the AAA publishers don't start buying the indie studios.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Agreed to most everything. I miss the Westwood C&C.. before EA screwed everything up.

Speaking of screwing up, there's some malformed HTML on the Westwood sub-page of the article.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
WOW. I just up and forgot Neversoft existed for....nine years now. They just vanished without a trace for me.

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
I find it weird that you listed Westwood but used a picture of the first C&C game without Westwood mentioned on the box. Surely a screenshot of Renegade or Red Alert 2 would've worked better.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Was hoping for Free Radical Design to be somewhere on this list. It's really sad how they met their end. Crushed between EA, LucasArts and their own pride.

I'm most frustrated with LucasArts, though. They literally pulled the plug on a project because it had too much effort going into it.
Didn't they make that... odd... game Haze?

Eipok Kruden said:
008Zulu said:
I wish THQ were still around, they had an awesome story set out for the Space Marine games.
I wanted Space Marine to continue so badly.
I wish we could have found out that everyone else was Alpharius in disguise (I think this is the point where I have read TOO MUCH Horus Heresy...)

EHKOS said:
WOW. I just up and forgot Neversoft existed for....nine years now. They just vanished without a trace for me.
I never got to play the PC version but MDK is more memorable to me than almost anything else on that list, it would be awesome to play a proper sequel of that game complete with floaty controls, chaingun/sniper-helmet-thingy and, of course, The World's Smallest Nuke (Used in the game as a key to unlock doors because WHY NOT!)

Really, I wish Pandemic was back, they made some great games. It's a true pity that EA will never release another Battlefront game. (No, that... Abomination... does NOT count.)

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Aww, man! The Saboteur! That was one of my favorite games for the 360! I had grown bored of the first Assassins Creed, and found this to be a more than worthy substitute... Take the Climbing/Exploring of assassins creed and the explosive mayhem of mercinaries and this was the result...

Yes, it had flaws, but the world design was decent, and who doesn't want to play as an Irish racing car driver whom is helping the French resistance in Nazi occupied Paris?

And the colour mechanic, where colour is restored in areas that you have freed from the nazis is great too... you can really see the influence you had on the [game]world around you!

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
vallorn said:
Didn't they make that... odd... game Haze?
Haze was a piece of shit.

But it probably wouldn't have been quite so bad (and even if it was, it might have sold better anyway) if Ubisoft didn't make a deal with Sony to make it a PS3 exclusive release title in exchange for boosted marketing...which never happened.

Here's an awesome, depressing article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I wish Kesmai still existed. They did things nearly three decades ago with flight sims like 300+ players in huge persistent maps and multiple players in one aircraft that would make the people doing lobby grinders like Wargaming and Gaijin blush in shame if they had to compete with a modern Air Warrior.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Old Maxis is a part of my gaming DNA. It's the only studio so far that I really got hurt by when it was absorbed and chewed out by they who will not be named.