8 Epic Fails in Videogame Marketing

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Like MikeyBB said above, the industry needs a job like that. I too suggested something similar... expect I would yell "Are you fucking stupid" and slap them on the back of the head. That'll learn 'em quicker.

But yeah, some of these are really bad. How anyone ever thought paying an actor to walk into a bar, waving a gun about was a good idea just floors me.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Mikeybb said:
I'm increasingly convinced that video games companies need to institute a new and probably most important position in all of their companies.
The idea barometer.

This would be a person who is just paid to sit in a room reading a newspaper.
When any member of staff comes up with an idea that passes muster among their usual methods they then must present it to the idea barometer.
If they just look at you with disinterest then return to reading their paper, you have the all clear.
If they roll up that news paper, bat you on the nose and yell "NO!", it's back to the drawing board.
Persistent or defiantly bad ideas would result in the barometer dragging the worker to the scene of his crime and rubbing his nose in the offending article while speaking in a firm, deep tone.

This all might seem a bit patronizing, but you have to get the basics right in a way they'll understand.

I have other ideas on how to fix the gaming development community involving flea collars and a neutering program.
I had an idea similar to the during one of the more recent "EA is being stupid again" kerfuffles. Though mine involved Tyrian Lanister with a license to smack the crap out of the offender and then tell them how stupid they were and they should be ashamed of themselves. If they were repeat offenders, he had permission to jump on the table, open his fly and piss on the offending suit in front of everyone, then walk away like nothing happened.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Aw no, the Resident Evil meat stand was awesome! They even had a Umbrella Laboratory out the back you could go in.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Dalisclock said:
I had an idea similar to the during one of the more recent "EA is being stupid again" kerfuffles. Though mine involved Tyrian Lanister with a license to smack the crap out of the offender and then tell them how stupid they were and they should be ashamed of themselves. If they were repeat offenders, he had permission to jump on the table, open his fly and piss on the offending suit in front of everyone, then walk away like nothing happened.
...and somehow that still offers the boardroom an air of dignity.

I'm seriously starting to think instead of "Yes"men, every office needs a designated "No"man.
Someone to kick the legs out from under the lame ideas before they get pushed out of the door.