8 Fallout 4 Glitches to Make You Laugh

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Fallout 4 Glitches to Make You Laugh

We've come to expect amusing glitches in Bethesda's open-world games, and Fallout 4 is no exception.

Read Full Article

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I really do wish we'd stop giving Bethesda games a pass on glitches while nailing games by other companies for the same type of glitches.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
See, when Assassin's Creed Unity was released with its tons bugs and glitches, it got almost unanimously shat on like it should. The reviews reflected that.
Yet when Fallout 4 comes out and is almost if not just as buggy, most people just give it a pass because "it's Bethesda, of course it's gonna be buggy" or "mods will fix it". I get that it's an open-world game, but so was Unity - FO4 is quite a lot larger than it, but it also isn't as busy as Unity's world. Sure, Bethesda has a smaller team than what Ubisoft is using the their AssCreeds, but they also had a much longer development cycle - at least 4 years compared to Ubisoft's annually released series.

I can understand enjoying a game despite its bugs, however most reviews out there for much of Bethesda's games rarely give a mention to their bugginess. You would think that repeatedly releasing buggy products and expecting the modding community to fix it would be something most people would get upset about. Somehow with Bethesda though, people just expect this as the norm or something.
ffronw said:
We've come to expect amusing glitches in Bethesda's open-world games
Why is this acceptable?

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
I was slightly amused by the "smooth criminal" glitch and the air-swimming dog, but none of these made me laugh.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
How long before the glitches are fixed? A month? A month and 2 weeks? Well, I'm waiting until then.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
AC: Unity's bugs and glitches were not only graphically hideous but legion and game-breaking. The worst I've seen on the PC version of Fallout 4 is some texture popping and Preston Garvey doing a 180-degree spin to aim his rifle at me when I just wanted to have a civilized conversation. The worst I've heard is apparently happening to PS4 players, though I still haven't heard of or encountered anything that stops progress. So far, it's a step up from Skyrim in that regard, because I'd turn up to a town in that game and some NPCs would just be outright dead, meaning their relevant quests just ploofed out of existence.

Considering the size of this game compared to Unity and the sheer amount of stuff it's populated by that could go wrong, I'm impressed by the job they've done so far.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Barbas said:
ShakerSilver said:
AC: Unity's bugs and glitches were not only graphically hideous but legion and game-breaking. The worst I've seen on the PC version of Fallout 4 is some texture popping and Preston Garvey doing a 180-degree spin to aim his rifle at me when I just wanted to have a civilized conversation. The worst I've heard is apparently happening to PS4 players, though I still haven't heard of or encountered anything that stops progress. So far, it's a step up from Skyrim in that regard, because I'd turn up to a town in that game and some NPCs would just be outright dead, meaning their relevant quests just ploofed out of existence.

Considering the size of this game compared to Unity and the sheer amount of stuff it's populated by that could go wrong, I'm impressed by the job they've done so far.
Considering its the same game Bethesda made over the past 10 years even with the same engine its more expected a game like Unity with a new engine to have more bugs.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Goliath100 said:
How long before the glitches are fixed? A month? A month and 2 weeks? Well, I'm waiting until then.
Well seeings how Fallout 3 and New Vegas on Steam still have bugs, it may be longer than a month or two...

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
A wealth of bugs is only one issue as long as they aren't game breaking, Ubisoft does not have the karma stored up to get those bugs smoothed out and overlooked for the benefits of the game behind. On top of that a far more exploited sequel-itis (in frequency of new game launch) for the property in question makes the playerbase more volatile, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I personally do not buy either Ubi or Beth products (since I gave them a last try with Skyrim) because they run like shit/have assinine company policies, but that's neither here nor there.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
AzrealMaximillion said:
I really do wish we'd stop giving Bethesda games a pass on glitches while nailing games by other companies for the same type of glitches.
But bethesda games are huge and wonderful and you can, or at least i can, get a huge wealth of fun out of them, and they give you access to the console to get in there and fix what problems you're having if need be, at least if they didn't change that policy from FO3 and skyrim. When the world is THAT big, of course you're gonna run into a bug or two; Besides, i'm waiting for it to go on sale, and the worst of the bugs should be fixed by then.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
See, when Assassin's Creed Unity was released with its tons bugs and glitches, it got almost unanimously shat on like it should. The reviews reflected that.
Yet when Fallout 4 comes out and is almost if not just as buggy, most people just give it a pass because "it's Bethesda, of course it's gonna be buggy" or "mods will fix it". I get that it's an open-world game, but so was Unity - FO4 is quite a lot larger than it, but it also isn't as busy as Unity's world. Sure, Bethesda has a smaller team than what Ubisoft is using the their AssCreeds, but they also had a much longer development cycle - at least 4 years compared to Ubisoft's annually released series.

I can understand enjoying a game despite its bugs, however most reviews out there for much of Bethesda's games rarely give a mention to their bugginess. You would think that repeatedly releasing buggy products and expecting the modding community to fix it would be something most people would get upset about. Somehow with Bethesda though, people just expect this as the norm or something.
ffronw said:
We've come to expect amusing glitches in Bethesda's open-world games
Why is this acceptable?
As was mentioned above, I think a lot of it has to do with the bugs not being the "I can't continue playing" type of errors. If you're playing a huge open-world game, and the biggest issue you run into is an occasional floating cow, most people are willing to write that off.

Now, if you're not one who can, that's entirely your prerogative. I'm not saying that you'd be wrong to avoid the game, or just wait for the bugs to be somewhat ironed out. But in my experience, many will overlook, and even sometimes celebrate, little graphical glitches and amusing bugs.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
I can accept a whole lot if I am entertained and getting great value for money. My tolerance only starts dropping when my level of entertainment drops. That can be a function of immersion-breaking glitches - but usually not in a game like this where there are pop-ups and interface interaction all the time. So it would only really be quest progression problems or function-impeding bugs that reduce enjoyment.

I find that I cannot use the term 'unacceptable' very often as it pertains to computer games - since history suggests I can accept a whole lot.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Barbas said:
ShakerSilver said:

NO.

NO NO NO.

You don't get to make that excuse when it's your fucking 5th game in this decade old engine and you've had like 5 years to work on it. The game has goddamn regular drops to 2 fps on Xbone and Ps4 despite looking like it came straight out of 2007. The writing is goddamn horrible and railroads you into stupid decisions; not to mention being a goddamn lore rape of the earlier games. And thats when it's not just doing the same shit over again almost verbatim!

I understand there is an attraction here. I understand there's something that can pull you in about these games even with all their flaws. But we can't just keep letting bethesda release shit like this and shower them with 9's. This game is like a 6-7. A compelling 7 with lots of good points, but it has major flaws and downsides that everyone seems to be willfully ignoring or excusing for no reason other than "oh, it's bethesda, they're always like that!"

DON'T BE AN ENABLER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVrxFmheSc

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Piecewise said:
Excessive swearing and caps, misuse of "rape" and "enabler". I'm going to keep this short:

It's not the same engine; it's never the same engine. I don't think it was discarded or rebuilt from the ground up - it's noticeably similar to players of the previous two - but you only need compare it to how the last two played to see that it's different both visually and mechanically. I have eyes to see its flaws, I don't dismiss them from my mind when I play. It is not shit at all, it is a very good game that a great deal of thought and effort was put into.

If you've been having a bad, glitchy, buggy experience with it then as someone who still can't get a modded copy of New Vegas to run smoothly, I sympathize. But I can enjoy what I want, and I'm going to continue to do so.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
I might be more amused if they would have at least gotten at the crash bugs before release.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The funniest glitch of all may be the game itself, with a current user score of [a href="http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4"]4.7 on metacritic[/a].

I was excited about this game, just waiting for the first patches and most of the bugs to be squished before buying -of course-, but this bad reception really got me doubting. Seems like they really fupped this one up and alienated their fanbase.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Barbas said:
Piecewise said:
Excessive swearing and caps, misuse of "rape" and "enabler". I'm going to keep this short:

It's not the same engine; it's never the same engine. I don't think it was discarded or rebuilt from the ground up - it's noticeably similar to players of the previous two - but you only need compare it to how the last two played to see that it's different both visually and mechanically. I have eyes to see its flaws, I don't dismiss them from my mind when I play. It is not shit at all, it is a very good game that a great deal of thought and effort was put into.

If you've been having a bad, glitchy, buggy experience with it then as someone who still can't get a modded copy of New Vegas to run smoothly, I sympathize. But I can enjoy what I want, and I'm going to continue to do so.
Misuse of rape huh? What else would you call taking something and violently forcing it to perform actions which it clearly never intended or desired? And how is it a misuse of "enabler"? You're literally being given something that is riddled with flaws and giving it a near perfect score. You're telling them that this sort of thing is not only acceptable, but admirable. Why should they change?

The creation engine is an "upgraded" version of Gamebyro. They lie through their teeth and say it's not, but anyone who has modded the games or even pays attention to the way characters move or how objects and physics work can tell they're just Frankensteining gamebyro along into new games. I mean, we can get into a Ship of Theseus argument here over what constitutes a new engine, but anyone who played FO3 or Oblivion or Skyrim knows this is damn similar if nothing else. Better graphics (though still massively outdated) doesn't change the engine. Slapping on some visual effect code doesn't change the engine. The point is that if they took this old engine and modified it, if THEY made it, surely they should know how to use it after 5 damn years or however long the dev cycle was.

And I'm not asking you to stop enjoying the game. You can enjoy games with big flaws. Some of my favorite games have big fucking problems that I fully acknowledge. But the point is that you shouldn't say it is a "Very good Game" because it is not. It's a game you enjoy. It's a game with good parts, with parts that it does well, with parts that it improved. All that is true. But lets look at this as objectively as possible:

The graphics are subpar, both on the consoles and especially on pc. We can easily compare it to other cross platform games and see that it simply doesn't stand up.

The gameplay is nothing new. It's basically very similar to the last two with minor changes, the biggest of which tend to be stripping mechanics OUT of the system. They did add the whole base building thing, which is admirable, but the actual "day to day" mechanics aren't different in any major way. Thats not a bad thing, but it's not evolving either.

The RPG elements have been toned down, the conversations and choices are less in number, the choice screen is unclear because they went with the 4 button layout rather then just a menu, skills are gone, companions are immortal and thrust upon you instantly, etc.

The story isn't as good as we've seen in other recent majorly story focused releases. And considering this is an RPG, thats pretty important. It's not as goddamn nonsensical as FO3, but it's still not great. Whats worse is that it retreads a lot of old ground, misuses or ignores things from FO1 and FO2, often going so far as to completely contradict them.

I'm not saying that your enjoyment is wrong. Or that you should stop liking the game. I'm playing it now and enjoying it IN SPITE OF the flaws. What I'm saying is that Bethesda keeps getting a free pass for releasing buggy, unstable, unoptimized, graphically weak games and no one seems to call them on it. People hand wave so hard their elbow dislocates. Even if this is your game of the year, it should be a 7; because no matter how much fun you have with it, it is FLAWED. When Fallout comes out and it has Witcher 3 level graphics, doesn't run like crap, doesn't have animations tied to framerate so that pc users unlocking the 30fps lock suddenly find everything moving twice as fast, isn't full of bugs, has expansive rpg systems and interactions, etc. That is a 9 or a 10. That is a game we can honestly say we both enjoy and that is near flawless.

This is not. And it should not be considered such because people can't remove the hype goggles.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Piecewise said:
I'm not saying that your enjoyment is wrong. Or that you should stop liking the game. I'm playing it now and enjoying it IN SPITE OF the flaws. What I'm saying is that Bethesda keeps getting a free pass for releasing buggy, unstable, unoptimized, graphically weak games and no one seems to call them on it. People hand wave so hard their elbow dislocates. Even if this is your game of the year, it should be a 7; because no matter how much fun you have with it, it is FLAWED. When Fallout comes out and it has Witcher 3 level graphics, doesn't run like crap, doesn't have animations tied to framerate so that pc users unlocking the 30fps lock suddenly find everything moving twice as fast, isn't full of bugs, has expansive rpg systems and interactions, etc. That is a 9 or a 10. That is a game we can honestly say we both enjoy and that is near flawless.

This is not. And it should not be considered such because people can't remove the hype goggles.
Your complaints are are all valid, but you should know that the PC version is locked at 60 FPS, not 30.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ffronw said:
As was mentioned above, I think a lot of it has to do with the bugs not being the "I can't continue playing" type of errors. If you're playing a huge open-world game, and the biggest issue you run into is an occasional floating cow, most people are willing to write that off.

Now, if you're not one who can, that's entirely your prerogative. I'm not saying that you'd be wrong to avoid the game, or just wait for the bugs to be somewhat ironed out. But in my experience, many will overlook, and even sometimes celebrate, little graphical glitches and amusing bugs.
I just know that every time the cool to hate companies like EA or Ubisoft releases an open world with the same kinds of bugs (sometimes not even Bethesda bad) people shit on them from ungodly heights. Its just tiring to me to see Bethesda get a pass on every game for bugs, some of which crash their game, while other games get nailed to the wall for less.