8 Games Every PC Gamer Should Have Played

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Allow me to list a few that I personally list as must have played PC games:
Carmagedon (either 1 or 2, both have their strenghts and weaknesses but highly recommended anyhow)
Total Annihilation
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Overall, not a bad list in this gallery, but I can see why people would be turned off byw Wow, considering how massive that game became.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dalisclock said:
PC Gamer here. No plans to ever play WoW(MMO's just don't do it for me, even if I had the time).

I've wanted to play WC3 for a long time, but since it hasn't been released digitally, I keep forgetting about it.
But it has been released digitally, through battle.net [http://us.battle.net/en/games/classic].

OT: Personally, I'd keep Warcraft III over Starcraft because the latter is far more obviously a dated game. I didn't play a lot of real-time strategy games while I was growing up, so maybe Starcraft holds up better at high-level play than WCIII, but Warcraft III has so many little improvements on the UI and control scheme and campaign balancing that make it far more accessible and fun to people like me.

I've played very small amounts of most of the other games. I'm more a fan of fantasy than real-world games, which tempers my interest for games like Age of Empires or Civilization. Half-Life 2 has never really grabbed me, though I've been considering trying to play it for the third or fourth time recently. I enjoy watching the Yogscast's Minecraft videos, but it's not really my cup of tea. What I would really enjoy it for is giving me the ability to create a world that I visualize, but it's not the most intuitive interface through which to really do that. SimCity 2000 I occasionally played while I was very young, but I mostly just liked unleashing disasters. I've been curious to try a city-builder again, but whenever I look at them I can tell my creativity would be stumped.

I did finally manage to break through the initial barrier to entry on Deus Ex and started quite enjoying my time with it. I need to play more of it. I played WoW for about five and a half years before finally getting burnt out and cancelling my account, and now I've been getting the urge to play it again. Ugh.

I don't really know what sort of list I would come up with, though. The first problem is that it would far more likely be a general "games people should play" thing rather than "PC games people should play".

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
As I understand it, this is a list of the games that are most representative of the PC experience, not a list of the best PC games.

As such, the most glaring omission is easily Counter-Strike, which seemed to account for something like 90% of PC-hours in the early 2000s worldwide. I don't even like the game that much, but you can't tell the history of PC gaming without CS.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Minecraft??? Give me a break. Other then Warcraft 3, Halflife 2 and Deus Ex this list is lame. Whoever came up with this list knows nothing about PC gaming.