8 Games From EA That Don't Suck

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
"One of the finest RPGs ever produced by man or beast, Dragon Age 2 was quite possibly the best game of 2011, at least according to the Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist."

wut

Where we playing the same game?

DA2 was a mess, Dragon Age Origin was good, one of my favorites, but DA2 sucks as a game and an RPG.
Mass Effect was also pretty bad, the whole series, not just the third one.

Also no Dead Space or Sims? I liked Dead Space 3, and the Sims game are good even with their silly nickle and dime DLC.

sidewinder fang

Sep 17, 2012
The one that got me was mass effect, not the games themselves, overall I rather liked the series, what really gets my goat is this little nugget "The third in the series had to have been everyone's favorite because people are still talking about it."

Err, no you pea brains, they're still talking about it because it took all of our expectations and need for closure and flushed them down a lavatory, doctors talk a lot about things like AIDs and cancer, that doesn't make them good.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Page 5...
Well ya' did it. 4 days until the end and you eked out a victory for Troll of the Year!

...had to have been everyone's favorite because people are still talking about it
hehehehe I have this little nugget of rage in the back of my brain... which is probably exactly what you wanted. I mean there aren't even words.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Piflik said:
Dragon Age 2 the best game of 2011?! I don't even think it should be on any list of games that don't suck...

Small (not exhaustive) list of 2011 games better than DA2:

Venetica
Magicka
Bulletstorm
Portal 2
Brink
Terraria
The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings
Bastion
Deus Ex: HUman Revolution
Dark Souls
Rage
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
TESV: Skyrim
I get that you're trying to say that Dragon Age 2 sucked... but Brink? seriously? and Rage?
DA2 was bad but it was better than those two games

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Wing Commander
I don't think so, Tim. That's a game by Origin. EA didn't get their grubby mitts on it until they'd bought out Origin, and by they were mutilating IPs left and right.

Same with Mass Effect. BioWare made a RPG that was supposed to be the culmination of their experience with Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. Before EA swallowed the games up and shat out a DLC framework wrapped around a mediocre 3RD person shooter with a leveling system and a half-assed narrative, BioWare had created a series that was fresh and a step away from, as Jim Sterling would probably put it, homogenous development. EA foreshadowed the bullshit with Mass Effect 2, buying BioWare by that time and doing exactly what they had with the classic Ultima series before, manglijng it into something more for mass appeal.

Won't even touch Dragon Age 2. It's been said already, many times already.

I agree about Mirror's Edge. In a rare move they didn't fuck up the game by trying to streamline, simplify, or homogenize the game into something gray and easier to market to everyone. I'll be impressed if the sequel fares at least as well.

Feel like there's some not very factual facts afoot.

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
Am I the only one that read this article as parody? Come on guys, it was funny, admit it. :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
At least two of those games were developed before acquisition of the makers .
Add BF1942 to that list as well, DICE didn't become owned by EA until after Vietnam came out, which hasbeen a double edged sword, although not damaging in the way it has arguably been for Bioware.

Where is Burnout Paradise (Or Burnout 3 or Revenge)? Nobody's come up with a better online racer than Paradise and it's five years now, nearly six.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I know a lot of people disliked it but I liked Dragon Age 2. Only things I didn't like about it was how the combat was faster and how I could not have a full conversation with my teammates when out adventuring.

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
EA Sports Active 2 should be on this list. Prob the best workout that you can do at home. Sits at 8 on metacritic.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Nergui said:
Am I the only one that read this article as parody? Come on guys, it was funny, admit it. :)
No fun allowed.

Games are srs bsn, didn't you know?

All joking aside, that's the gist that I got from it. I read through them, had a good laugh, and moved on. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess. Which reminds me, I need to replay Mirror's Edge again. That game is so awesome. :D

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I'm really glad Command & Conquer: Generals got some attention because i still play it. Over 10 years later it's still one of my favorite games.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Nergui said:
I don't think it was a parody list, with good games like Mirrors Edge and Battlefield 1942 included in it.

If the OP wanted to make one he should have gone all out rather than this (possible?) half-arsed attempt.

Frostbyte666 said:
I don't agree with the list for reasons that others stated. But what has got me scratching my head is that he mentions the mass effect series (with some emphasis on 3), but then only says dragon age 2 instead of the dragon age series. I can't remember if Bioware was acquired by EA for the first game but considering other items on the list that point would be moot.
Dragon Age was announced in 2004, with possible development time before that.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I have never had any issues with EA's games, in general. It's their business practices that are the problem. In fact, I wish they did make shitty games. If they didn't make games I wanted to play then their policies wouldn't make a difference to me because they wouldn't affect me

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Covarr said:
Piflik said:
Dragon Age 2 the best game of 2011?! I don't even think it should be on any list of games that don't suck...

Small (not exhaustive) list of 2011 games better than DA2:
Don't forget Minecraft, a game so amazing hyped it somehow won GotY awards from various publications two years in a row!

P.S. Thanks
Don't forget won a March Mayhem before the game was out of beta one year, despite Mojang being newly minted and having never actually released a full game.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
8 games over 20 years is not exactly impressive for the world's largest games publisher.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MoltenSilver said:
There are a tonne of games EA makes that don't suck.

It's the baggage that comes with them (Blatantly cut-out content dlc, micro transactions on AAA priced games, that abortion called Origin, Securom, always online, and other consumer-punishing DRM schemes) that makes their products intolerable to purchase.

That's not to say the recent crop of ea games has been anything above mediocre, but even as an ardent EA-boycotter I admit they can make some decent games from time to time. I'd like to think their recent announcement about wanting to address the reasons they got voted Worst Company in America is genuine, but actions speak louder than words so it's a wait-and-see if they actually improve
Indeed. Even with a lot of their recent games, the complaints are mostly centered around what they do with the games. Less the games themselve. Though the line is admittedly sometimes blurry.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
You forgot Crysis. Crysis was my favorite game from EA. I really hope they release it on gog some day.