8 Games From EA That Don't Suck

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
Jark212 said:
I'm really glad Command & Conquer: Generals got some attention because i still play it. Over 10 years later it's still one of my favorite games.
i know what you mean. every time i get a new pc or reformat the hardrive a relative immediately asks for it to be reinstalled
Everything up to RA3 was good, with it being the only iffy one. There have been no other C&C games.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
Piflik said:
Dragon Age 2 the best game of 2011?! I don't even think it should be on any list of games that don't suck...

Small (not exhaustive) list of 2011 games better than DA2:

Venetica
Magicka
Bulletstorm
Portal 2
Brink
Terraria
The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings
Bastion
Deus Ex: HUman Revolution
Dark Souls
Rage
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
TESV: Skyrim
Its funny. I'm currently playing through Dragon's Age 2 and comparing it to your list, for me, it beats everything on that list except for maybe Portal 2 just because I like puzzle games a hell of a lot but even then it would be dam close.

I don't get why everyone hates it. I find the story interesting, the quests interesting, the characters fun, their interactions with each other as I run around fun, their back stories and the back stories of the people you meet interesting.
Beating in the faces of people, monsters and dragons feels satisfying.

Sure, its not Dragon's Dogma, but your team is less annoying then the Pawns (the dialodge changes/varies more) but for me I'm enjoying it a lot.

Ah well, each to their own.

Kingdoms of Amalur, Alice and Dragons Age 2 I feel don't suck and they are from EA. A lot of EA games are solid, its more the decisions that go into them that make them feel, less satisfying for the end user then they could be (moneterizing every aspect of the game or forcing game breaking DRM into a game isn't all that fun for the end user).

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Dragon age II? Seriously? This is the first good thing i've heard about it since its release. And I'm a person to overlook a lot of flaws that are deal breakers for most people but seriously... dragon age II sucks a big fat one.

You should be ashamed of yourself! FOR SHAME!!!!

Cut that shit out and replace it with crysis

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
00slash00 said:
I have never had any issues with EA's games, in general. It's their business practices that are the problem. In fact, I wish they did make shitty games. If they didn't make games I wanted to play then their policies wouldn't make a difference to me because they wouldn't affect me
This.

Lots of people have rushed in with their favourite EA games. Regardless of how you feel about the sequels they did make the original Dead Space. They've published Mirror's Edge. Kingdoms of Amalur, Bulletstorm, Shadows of the Damned, Dante's Inferno, the Burnout series. (I know some of these are under EA partnership programme and they didn't completely oversee the development)

Despite yearly releases, I wouldn't say that Fifa sucks and I guess most of their other sports franchises are at least solid. Skate is good. I actually really enjoyed the latest SSX, even if the trick mechanic wasn't really satisfying.

I don't play Battlefield, but whether you prefer CoD or not, I don't think it's fair to say it sucks.

The simple truth is that EA produces a lot of good games. I think people get angry with EA when they make what is or would have been a good game just suck a little bit more by shady business practices (on-line passes, microtransactions, always-online etc)

Now Activision on the otherhand: 8 games that are not CoD that don't suck...? (Prototype, Wolverine, Blur... and I'm out)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
TomWiley said:
I know hating on EA is popular and all, and I can get that the Escapist staff wants in on that, but there are significantly more EA games than 8 that doesn't suck.
I'd go as far as to say a large majority of their games dont suck. The reason why people get arsey with EA has typically been their business practice and ethic, not because they release "bad" games.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I maintain that Dragon Age 2 is a diamond in the rough, so it's nice to see it get some recognition. It's a very different game from Origins in a lot of ways, and with the exception of the obviously rushed dungeons, I think it was an improvement in every conceivable way.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
I think it was an improvement in every conceivable way.
I would've preferred the enemies not be quite so damage-spongey, myself.

Of course, there's one thing Dragon Age II is unequivocally great at no matter your opinion on it: Rustling the jimmies of the internet.

Ah, gamers. Please, always remain predictable.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Ed130 said:
I don't think it was a parody list, with good games like Mirrors Edge and Battlefield 1942 included in it.

If the OP wanted to make one he should have gone all out rather than this (possible?) half-arsed attempt.
Pretty much the whole list is composed of either games that were released 10 years ago, or games that weren't even developed under EA management. Except Mirror's edge and Tiger Woods, which I assume nobody in the world cares about.

Maybe you don't, but I get the idea that the reviewer was blatantly saying "Look at this, I just couldn't find any current, real EA game that didn't suck" with sarcasm.

Btw I couldn't get myself to finish Mirror's edge.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Um ok, who says no EA game doesn't suck exactly?
Their business practices suck but they have some good games in their claws.
That's what makes it so frustrating to watch.

Also they are a publisher/slaver/sitter of IPs more than a developer so a list like that doesn't even make much sense.
If your point was "look, they haven't made any good games themselves in years lololol" then conglaturations, you have just discovered the difference between publisher and developer.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Galen Marek said:
I don't get why everyone hates it. I find the story interesting, the quests interesting, the characters fun, their interactions with each other as I run around fun, their back stories and the back stories of the people you meet interesting.
Beating in the faces of people, monsters and dragons feels satisfying.
For me, it was the combat, and the game turned out to be mostly combat. I couldn't stand the spawning enemies who flip over tiny rocks to enter the fight right around the time you think the fight's over, because they're inevitably jumping into the fight behind you so you have to turn around and grind your way back the way you came from.

The story and characters weren't interesting enough for me to play the game to completion, not with 10+ more hours of grinding action to look forward to.

Humanity1

Apr 14, 2009
Hmmm... That was a pretty passable attempt at satire. I think I'll check the comments to see what captions people found the most facetious...

I forgot how much the internet never seems to get subtle satire. Damnit internet, every single caption quietly whispered "The only reasons I can come up with for describing an EA game as good all involve making jokes about the title/graphics/fan reactions" but all anyone heard were "EA" and "Don't suck" and reacted to that. Sigh.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
EA doesn't make bad games, EA makes bad decisions and treats people like dirt.

Big difference. :O

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
I don't understand this list... Half of it reads as satire, but the other half seems to play it completely straight. I'd like to imagine it is satire, and I just don't get it, because otherwise this is stating that EA has never published/developed more than eight good games. Even the most diehard EA haters will admit that they've made/published more than 8 "games that don't suck" over their lifespan.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Strange article when you consider them being the top reviewed major game publisher.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2012-releases

Perhaps people that make articles like these don't realize what the actual problem is with EA.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I've generally found that the best EA games were released after EA had bought over a studio, in a very brief "sweet spot" time period that was just long enough for the studio to benefit from EAs extra funds, and just early enough that EA hadn't had time to begin their corporate meddling in the developers business.

Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (and generals) falls into this, as does Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Frontline.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
ticklefist said:
Strange article when you consider them being the top reviewed major game publisher.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2012-releases

Perhaps people that make articles like these don't realize what the actual problem is with EA.
The problem there is that as Metacritic themselves state, "Sales and user reviews do not factor into these rankings; only critic reviews (as captured by each game's Metascore) are used to evaluate performance."

So EA's top game of 2012 according to Metacritic?

Mass Effect 3 with 93%.

Yeah. That rating system definitely has issues.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I can't tell if this list is legit, half and half, or full on... "intentionally obtuse" (in not so nice of word). The inclusion of DA2, ME3, and a golf sim makes me wonder.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well maybe I'm in the minority here - scratch that, I AM - but I'm okay with EA. I mean this may sound like a cop-out, but no company is perfect. If you ask me, the wait for Half Life 3 from Valve is JUST as bad as releasing a subpar game from EA. Worse, because 0 work goes into NOT releasing a game.
If a game looking fun, I'll give it a try, EA or not. I don't see why EA gets hammered for bad choice(granted they are very bad choices) when other companies are give a free pass, because...

And that's where the community loses me.