8 Games That Are As Educational As They Are Fun

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Games That Are As Educational As They Are Fun

Many educational games are dismissed because of the fact that they're educational. Today we give you eight games that will have you learning while you play. Some of the games on this list aren't what you would think of when talking about educational games, but they'll still get you to learn something while you're playing.

Read Full Article

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
I ask again: why is there a disclaimer of every page? it just doesn't make sense are you saying that this person has an influence in they games? or are you just saying that this person did not have a say if the items, and order of this list.

I kind of hope that it is the last part, and if it is then state that. the way it looks by putting it on every page is that you are almost apologizing/saying: "I put this thing on this list, and please don't fire me in and email because you don't like it Mr. Zelnick"

If you are disclaiming that this person has no influence in the article then say just that, and you only need to put it once (at the start, or at the end). its not like you need a character count per page (please tell me this is the case). saying that "This article was published without approval or consent of ZelnickMedia or Take-Two." just says that they didn't give you a thumbs up. it doesn't mean that there was no influence of "I might want to see TitleX in possitionY", or "put TitleX on this list, or your fired, so we can get more people to see it"

seriously all you need to do is add a few words to the end of the disclaimer "and had no influence on its contents" then only put it once. if I am trying to read the article, and then see a "Disclaimer" I think that it has to do with that specific page, or the thing that came before, or after it, and that it will tell me something unique if it is going to appear at all. It would be like putting the words "Spoiler Alert" on the top of every page of a 5 page article (assuming that the words "Spoiler Alert" are not in the title) even though the spoilers don't actually start until page3. in the case of a "spoiler alert" you would only say before the "spoilers" start.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I remember the Carmen Sandiego games. I used to play those all the time in elementary school. I also remember the Oregon Trail and dieing of Dysentery.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I always felt the Age of Empires series was more 'educational' than Civilization. And I know it's newer but how could you not have Kerbal Space Program here?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Portal 2? While I love this game, I didn't learn anything from it. Well, I learned how to shoot portals with a portal gun, but I really learned that in Portal. I guess I learned about repulsion gel and explosive lemons. Okay. I'll give you that. SCIENCE!

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Portal 2?
Challenging and brain stimulating? Yes.
Educational? No, definitely not.

I'm quite sad that age of mythology isn't on the list, that game was hell'a fun and it's how I learnt of most of the greek/egyptian/norse gods and mythology.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
To reiterate my Facebook comment, "What? No JumpStart? No Pajama Sam (Does Pajama Sam count as educational actually?) No Star Wars: Droid Works? No Freddi Fish?" Those made up a good portion of my video gaming childhood and to not see them here makes me feel kind of sad.

Also, this:

Clankenbeard said:
Portal 2? While I love this game, I didn't learn anything from it. Well, I learned how to shoot portals with a portal gun, but I really learned that in Portal. I guess I learned about repulsion gel and explosive lemons. Okay. I'll give you that. SCIENCE!
Random Fella said:
Portal 2?
Challenging and brain stimulating? Yes.
Educational? No, definitely not.
So much that.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'd nominate the "Total War" games as well as Civilization, I learned a ton about Medieval, Roman, and Japanese history from those games.

Does learning typing count? If so, "The Typing of the Dead" should be on here, because that game is fun as all hell and actually does help you learn to type better.