8 Games that Earned Cult Classic Status

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games that Earned Cult Classic Status

Some games have a following that's far more dedicated than their sales might indicate, like these eight cult classics.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Conker's Bad Fur Day is in my Top 5 Best games of all time! I can play that game anytime, any day. Never not in the mood for a cartoon squirrel to fight an 80 foot operatic poop monster or jump on a sunflower's tits or piss on rock monster strippers.

Truly a delightful game for all ages.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ah damn, no Timesplitters, STALKER or Mount and Blade. Still, Psychonauts and Conker are really high up there for me.
Some others could be Spec Ops: The Line (at least for some), Saints Row 2 (3 was when the series really became popular, I think) and Earth Defense Force (the last one is a legit good game).

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
and despite the sub-par graphics and controls,
Are you kidding me? The bad graphics and terrible controls are half the charm, the others being the so-bad-it's-good dialogue and the spectacle that is the terrible voice acting.

Had the game been only a little bit better the whole thing would be, well, terrible.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Oh, man. Conker's Bad Fur Day is great. I don't think any South Park games ever had you fight Mr. Hanky during one of his songs. Conker was the one to deliver, with interest.

The sequel to Pocket Tales was originally going to be another kid-friendly, cutesy game. I read the reason why Rare retooled the sequel was, when they showed the original build off to the press, they received criticism that it looked like all of the other animal mascot games out there at the time, including their own Banjo-Kazooie. Someone at Rare then decided to make sure Conker wouldn't be like the other mascot games, and the sequel became Bad Fur Day.

The thing that really bugs me about the Microsoft acquisition of Rare was that they had Rare remake Conker for the Xbox crowd, yet censored the game more that Nintendo did. That bites just as much as the fact that there hasn't been even one new game since.
Silentpony said:
Conker's Bad Fur Day is in my Top 5 Best games of all time! I can play that game anytime, any day. Never not in the mood for a cartoon squirrel to fight an 80 foot operatic poop monster or jump on a sunflower's tits or piss on rock monster strippers.

Truly a delightful game for all ages.
Indeed. Don't forget the part where the squirrel fights a talking boiler using two bricks to attack its brass *ahem* weak points.

Video NSFW. Gregg's a potty mouth. Who isn't in this game?

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Love for Parasite Eve, what a great game!

The second was really good too, getting past the tank controls.
They built a interesting world and gave such minute details that it kept you learning.

Shame what they did with the 3rd birthday.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
josemlopes said:
Ah damn, no Timesplitters, STALKER or Mount and Blade. Still, Psychonauts and Conker are really high up there for me.
Some others could be Spec Ops: The Line (at least for some), Saints Row 2 (3 was when the series really became popular, I think) and Earth Defense Force (the last one is a legit good game).
Yeah, there were plenty of good candidates for this one. I still want them to bring back Timesplitters, although that's looking increasingly unlikely as Crytek struggles for survival.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ah, what great memories of the games of yore. When they didn't bother trying to be so bloody "serious" or "realistic". That's what we're trying to get away from!

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
The two Parasite Eve games (There was no third, birthday or otherwise. Nope, never happened) were amazing, I still hold out hope that the series will see a proper continuation.