8 Games that Survived a Trip Through Development Hell

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games that Survived a Trip Through Development Hell

These eight games survived development hell, but not all of them turned out well.

Read Full Article

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
And yes, as this gallery clearly demonstrates, Development Hell either results in completely brilliant games like Resi4, Alan Wake, LA Noire or TF2 or completely irredeemable pieces of shit like Ultima IX, Too Human, Daikatana and DNF.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
RealRT said:
And yes, as this gallery clearly demonstrates, Development Hell either results in completely brilliant games like Resi4, Alan Wake, LA Noire or TF2 or completely irredeemable pieces of shit like Ultima IX, Too Human, Daikatana and DNF.
It's pretty much a 50/50 shot.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'd say only Team Fortress 2 and Resident Evil 4 'survived' their development.

All those others? Well...I mean they came out, if that's our strict definition of surviving. But they survived in the same way a quadruple amputee in a permanent vegetative state car crash victim 'survived' his injuries. Especially LA Noir and Duke Nukem. I mean that's The Brain That Couldn't Die shit right there.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
when Daikatana finally hit stores in 200,
Wow, the game sucked so hard that it started the fall of the Roman Empire! (I kid, I kid. Or do I?!)

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if RE4 had stayed with the "haunted house" motif of the early build.

LTD

Jun 20, 2015
Origin was dissolved in 2004, but Ultima Online is still going and supported by EA, believe it or not.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Wow, the game sucked so hard that it started the fall of the Roman Empire! (I kid, I kid. Or do I?!)

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if RE4 had stayed with the "haunted house" motif of the early build.
Daikatana alone didn't hasten the fall of Ion Storm; at the same time, they also made Deus Ex, and that one's still a huge hit! Deus Ex: Invisible War, however...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The might have survived the trip, but they didn't survive the destination. Ultima IX was an abject failure, enough to the where the Spoony One had to do an entire retrospective on the franchise to give proper context to WHY it sucked so bad, Too Human was the start of Silicon Knights' downfall, L.A. Noire could not possibly recuperate its costs and thus Team Bondi collapsed (not helped by the director's behavior), Daikatana sank Ion Storm, and we need not say anything else about DNF. It really goes to show that devs really need to learn how to manage time.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
At first I thought these were all going to be examples of good games, but then I realized that most of these 'survivors' are the kind that get found missing a limb or two from having to chew them off after getting caught in a bear-trap or wedged between some rocks or whatever other metaphor might float your boat better.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
ffronw said:
I think i caught a typo in your article:

Severn years and three to four complete redesigns later
Otherwise, if I am mistaken- I apologize for the assumption. Good article overall, and was surprised to see Resident Evil 4 having some problems. Luckily it worked out and is considered one of the best RE games apart from RE 2.
The Rogue Wolf said:

My fingers have betrayed me!

Thanks for catching those!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I get that games sometimes have development troubles, but at what point do the developers push back from the table and call it?

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
I love Daikatana. It has awesome weapons, interesting level design (especially in Greece and Norway episodes), beautiful music and very fun multiplayer.

To be noted, i played it first in 2006-2007, when many bugs/glitches were fixed.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think we can add a very recent one to this list too. Doom 4

Although, awesomely, it looks like the game is back on track again after seeing the multiplayer footage and the E3 footage and etc. I have high hopes for it again.