8 Games that Would be Awesome in a Different Genre

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
It's funny, I remember when I played the original Gears of War, my first thought was how excellent this would be if they made it into an RTS style game using the "Company of Heroes" game engine. The game had that gritty, "Saving Private Ryan" feel to it that works so well with WW2 games.

As for X-Com, I dunno, after the attempted "Syndicate" reboot going the FPS route, I'm pretty wary of turning a squad-based tactical game into a shooter.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Level 7 Dragon said:
Bioshock Infinite as a Lucas Arts point and click adventure game.
It's funny, because someone did a small point and click adventure game from the original Bioshock (although it was a satire)

Je-Tze

Aug 26, 2009
An FPS in the XCOM universe would be great, but we will never get one because every time the idea is mentioned fans flip-the-F-out.
The Bureau was originally intended as an FPS, but they got so scared at the negative reaction to it's announcement that they pulled it and ended up converting it to the watered down 3PS/Tactical abomination that was "The Bureau". The game sucked because it was a badly designed/executed game not because of its third-person tactical nature. Now that Firaxis' XCOM is a proven thing and the franchise can't be hurt by a potentially failed 'out of genre' game they really should have had thee balls to make "The Bureau" as originally envisioned. Of course NOW they should just forget that game ever happend and take a real shot at an action FPS spin off. Spin-offs in different genres/playstyles can't hurt an established franchise if they don't work, as long as said franchise maintains the quality that made it good in the first place. And likewise it's the quality of ANY game's design and execution that determine how good it is, NOT the genre/style.

Mass Effect: could be great as an 'open galaxy' space sim.
But Ron Whitaker, you must have been high when you said space sims are thin of late. There are like a hundred 'open galaxy' space flight games, from indy to indyAAA devs, either released within the last two years, or in Early Access/Beta, or in closed dev.

Lawbringer

Oct 7, 2009
Ihateregistering1 said:
It's funny, I remember when I played the original Gears of War, my first thought was how excellent this would be if they made it into an RTS style game using the "Company of Heroes" game engine. The game had that gritty, "Saving Private Ryan" feel to it that works so well with WW2 games.
Have you ever played Dawn of War?

A delicious blend of Company of Heroes with a Sci-Fi twist...and it even has 'of War' in the Title. 2/3 ain't bad!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Lawbringer said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Have you ever played Dawn of War?

A delicious blend of Company of Heroes with a Sci-Fi twist...and it even has 'of War' in the Title. 2/3 ain't bad!
Yeah, I think DOW 2 wasn't out when the original Gears of War was released.

Anyway, oddly, I didn't really like DOW 2 at all, even though I loved the original Dawn of War. I hated the tiny squads and "boss battles" of DOW 2, and wanted to go back to the original pretty quickly.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The problem with The Bureau wasn't the squad based third person shooting mechanics, those were downright excellent and a natural fit for the XCOM IP, (besides, I'm a sucker for anything that makes a series of games more fast paced and intense, which is why I REALLY DON'T like the Zelda idea) the issue was pretty much everything else. The story and characters were bland, uninteresting, and predictable, all in a series that's been known for having a pretty minimalistic story and characters designed so the player can fill in the blanks (though I don't fault any series that is like that for instead going for having actual characters with actual personality with an actual story and in fact prefer it if done well, but doing that badly is worse than not doing that at all) the upgrade system was less than stellar and didn't even remotely resemble the research system the rest of the games have used, and there were no random missions and the ones that were there weren't anything like the missions other XCOM games used. I doubt they are going to continue with another squad based first/third person shooter after the reception The Bureau got but if they did there is a LOT they would need to work on if that was going to live up to the massive potential that the Bureau had but pissed away.

OT: Not exactly "games" but more of the franchise itself but I think Terminator would really benefit from having an Bethesda style open world RPG. It just seems like it would work so well for that universe and Bethesda themselves would do brilliantly at that as they already have experience in massive worlds set in a sci-fi post apocalyptic world.

Pokemon would work extremely well as an Action RPG, as long as the combat system was remotely decent it would improve the games a LOT without needing to alter the formula much at all. Pokemon itself has basically been the Copy and paste Call of Duty of JRPGs for years now and that would really help breathe some life into this incredibly stagnant series.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
One that didn't make the list, and bothers me.

Starcraft as an FPS, with the player as a Terran Ghost.