8 Games We Can't Wait to Play in 2016

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I can't wait for Zelda. Especially after the laggy wii motion plus controls of Skyward Sword, I just want buttons again. After the sub par touchscreen-only DS Zeldas, A Link Between World was extremely satisfying. Here's to Zelda Wii U delivering the same feeling.

Although, I'm still not quite convinced about the open world (until we get some actual details). It could just mean something like Hyrule Field feels a little larger and there's some more thing to do in it. Skyward Sword promised to blend the overworld and dungeons. All that really came out of that promise was a barren overworld [footnote]One town and a few tiny islands spread out to the size of a typical overworld[/footnote] in the sky, 3 sub-areas that didn't feel any different from the old Zelda formula,[footnote]Except unlike many other Zeldas, they aren't connected and there is no warp spell/song. Going up to the Sky to deal with the (sadly) boring flight mechanic was the only way to get to another area.[/footnote] and distinctly separate dungeons (that just fit the theme of the area).

Hopefully, DooM really does capture the feeling of the run 'n gun shootin' of the old games. The trailer doesn't quite sell me on that, but I keep tabs on it just in case iD delivers.

On my personal list is Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. WayForward's non-licensed games are unique and really great. They also hit the stretch goal to play as several other characters, so it's likely the transformation magic of the first two game will be backed up with the well-received item based mechanics of Pirate's Curse.

Silentpony said:
Based on what we've seen in 2015, choose 2 of them to actually be good with seriously flaws, 1 will be completely broken and unplayable, 3 will have day-one DLC and season passes putting their total price well over $150 and the final 2 will just be mediocre bordering on bad.
You forgot to add that Zelda could have a sidequest or sweet optional item locked off by Amiibo.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
In my case is games I can't wait to play in 2017. At that moment those games will probably be patched, on sale or have a GOTY edition (except for Zelda; I expect it just to require patching and never being on sale in the worst case scenario).

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ffronw said:
ecoho said:
ffronw said:
ecoho said:
your lack of fire emblem fates is disturbing....... also no overwatch in this
I can't decide how I feel about Overwatch. Once I see more concrete info on the monetization I might feel better.
what do you mean? its pretty obvious they're going for skins and upfront sells to cover costs.
I know they'll be selling skins, but I want to see what else they'll be selling. It feels like it wants to be a cross between TF2 and a MOBA. I don't want to see them gating content behind paywalls. That would be a killer for me.
but they already said all future heroes will be free.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'd also nominate Total War: Warhammer. So far all the previews look incredible.

But seriously, no X-Com 2?

Also, I might be in the minority, but I really don't understand all the hype about Doom. Yes, it looks pretty fun, but it basically just looks like more of the same as any other action-centric FPS game, just with some melee insta-kills added (which I personally don't really like). Honestly, I watched the trailer for Doom and Shadow Warrior 2, and I think Shadow Warrior 2 looks 10x better.

May 28, 2015
Oh right, I was slightly excited about Quantum Break. But since there's no telling if or when it will be ported to PC, it was more like a pigeon having a heart attack.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ffronw said:
I think you can safely assume that QB will eventually land on PC. It's ludicrous that they didn't plan for it upfront, but then again, that's Microsoft for you. The only thing less serious than their so-called "commitment to PC games" is my commitment to sobriety.
I'd like to assume Quantum Break will hit PC, since Remedy's prior games did the same, but I'm not sure how much of a hold Microsoft has on the game. Do they own part of the license? Does Microsoft own part of the IP or is it owned wholly by Remedy? Is this exclusivity to Xbox One a timed thing and they just haven't made that clear?

Without knowing I can only assume it'll remain exclusive to the Xbone. Still, I can keep up hope. I adored Alan Wake. Would be a shame to miss this game just because it's on a system I don't have.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I like the Beastmaster vibe to Far Cry Primal, but if they REALLY want to grab my attention, they'll make the melee combat fast, real-time, and fun. Basically, I want to see Ong Bak 2.

Now, I know what you're gonna say. "But... They didn't have swords back then... "

DON'T CARE, BRO. MAKE SWORDS APPEAR BACK THEN. This ain't a historical documentary we're playing here.

And besides, if we're really gonna be honest about each other, we know crap-all about that time period anyway except for what few things we can dig up. Maybe they had reinforced obsidian swords...

Look, just make it happen, OK? You'll get my and a lot of people's money.