8 Great Lone Stranger Westerns

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Great Lone Stranger Westerns

To celebrate the release of Three Amigos on this day in 1986 we give you a small list of some of the best westerns to grace the silver screen. Sit back and make sure that your gun is loaded and ready for action.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
And then he ended his career by arguing with a chair in his latest western:
The Seated, The Standing, & The Senile.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Editor's Note: Some readers are reporting that there are great westerns not featuring Clint Eastwood. We're investigating these claims, but are inclined to think they're full of it.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/galleryoftheday/10810-8-Great-Lone-Stranger-Westerns.8#2TLf31oIUUZjzppI.99
You're darn right there are -

The Searchers (John Wayne and John Ford) and The Magnificent 7 off the top of my head.

Having said that, I'm pretty confident that the majority of great westerns include Clint.

BTW, one more bone to pick with you guys - how do you forget The Unforgiven?? That may be his best work.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
I wholeheartedly support the fact that every one of those films is a Clint Eastwood film. Probably my favorite actor of all time.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Before I clicked the link, I thought it would be funny if all the movies were Clint Eastwood. This article brought a great big smile to my face.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
i'd say once upon a time in america is one of the finest westerns ever filmed, and it stars Charles Bronson in the lead role

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
wrightguy0 said:
i'd say once upon a time in america is one of the finest westerns ever filmed, and it stars Charles Bronson in the lead role
Once upon a time in the West, you mean. And I totally agree with that. I'd put it right up there with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

(Not that Once upon a time in America was a bad film, no indeed!)

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Lone Stranger westerns are almost all Clint :) .

Once Upon is one of the few exceptions. Unforgiven wasn't a Lone Stranger film, but damn fine. Watch your whiskey folks.

Other goodies I enjoyed were Silverado, Wyatt Earp(Costner) and the already mentioned Magnificent Seven. Cat Balou had a great Lee Marvin.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
I'm a little confused, is the 'Lone Stranger' tagline being used here in reference simply to Clint Eastwood westerns, or those Westerns that focus on a 'lone stranger' protagonist?

If the later, then both Shane and Once Upon A Time in the West are notable absences. (Could also include Support Your Local Gunfighter/Sheriff if we're gonna have a bit of fun with this!)

Jul 13, 2010
Isn't Clint Eastwood playing the same character in both A First Full Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More? In fact in as far as I can remember there is even some debate as to whether he's also the same character in The Good The Bad And The Ugly

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Where's the Courier?

(I'm british and a gamer, New Vegas is about as close as I'll ever get to a western!)

emptyother

Feb 12, 2008
Never cared much for Clint's westerns. Nobody was my biggest western hero, aka Terrence Hill (My Name is Nobody, 1973).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Now I could get behind this... Still I wish the author had just went with western's in General. I hate not having the opportunity to mention Tombstone. Oh, yes... That movie is badass because of Val Kilmer and Sam Elliot. Hell Sam Elliot alone is badass, but Kilmer as Doc Holliday was awesome.
Anyway no Eastwood list is complete without Unforgiven. If you don't mention that movie, Clint Eastwood will knock your door down and murder your family.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
I saw this, I thought to myself "So, which Clint Eastwood film has he picked to represent his contribution?". Guess that answered that.