8 Great PC Survival Games

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great PC Survival Games

If you're looking to try and survive in a hostile world. these eight games are right up your alley.

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Personally, I'd have cut State of Decay from the list and put S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on instead.
Though, I never played the State of Decay story, just the free-roam DLC. Maybe the story is actually interesting and fun, rather than having to run back to base to stop a damn horde every three minutes.
Still, hard to imagine it being more fun than SoC.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I both like and dislike Survival Games.
As long as I'm not constantly stressed out by a hunger meter or some such timer it can be great.
Give me a world/areas to explore, loot to find, stuff to craft and some base building and I'm loving it.
Oh..optional online as well thanks. Single player is a must.

A few relevant games:

Wayward "Wayward is a turn-based, top-down, wilderness survival roguelike currently in beta."
Turn-based as in; do an action, do a turn.
alpha/beta, playable state, ongoing updates.
Quite a fun little game but the inventory and crafting system are a bit confusing.
Wiki is a must. Or lots of time.

NEO Scavenger "NEO Scavenger is a game where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are."
Turn-based. Only for Hardcore gamers.. really ,)

Unreal World "UnReal World is a unique low-fantasy roguelike game set in the far north during the late Iron-Age.
The world of the game is highly realistic, rich with historical atmosphere and
emphasized on survival in the harsh ancient wilderness."
Another Hardcore game.

Darkout "Darkout is a sandbox game set in a sci-fi universe with breathtaking environments, compelling story, and rich history sure to please newcomers to the genre and veterans alike. The gameplay offers opportunity to develop personalised strategies to survive against the game?s dangerous night and calm twilight cycles."
alpha/beta, playable state, updates on hiatus.
Has lots of potential but the developers seems to be in quite the economical bind and could be alienating players trying desperately to have the game survive.

Terraria "The very world is at your fingertips as you fight for survival, fortune, and glory. Delve deep into cavernous expanses, seek out ever-greater foes to test your mettle in combat, or construct your own city - In the World of Terraria, the choice is yours!"
With the new 1.3 update it's all fresh. Still a bit confusing to know where and what to do though.
Wiki and a goal is a must.

Starbound "In Starbound, you take on the role of a character who?s just fled from their home planet, only to crash-land on another. From there you?ll embark on a quest to survive, discover, explore and fight your way across an infinite universe."
A bit grindy and repetitive, but lots of room for role-playing and freestyle sandbox gaming.

Rimworld "RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space. Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000."
Sci-Fi DF-lite, shaping up good.

Gnomoria "Gnomoria is a sandbox village management game where you help lead a small group of gnomes, who have set out on their own, to thrive into a bustling kingdom!"
alpha/beta, playable state, updates on hiatus.
DF-lite, shaping up good.

Dwarf Fortress You won't survive..Don't try..Just have Fun !!!!
Everyone knows DF..

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Katherine Kerensky said:
Personally, I'd have cut State of Decay from the list and put S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on instead.
Though, I never played the State of Decay story, just the free-roam DLC. Maybe the story is actually interesting and fun, rather than having to run back to base to stop a damn horde every three minutes.
Still, hard to imagine it being more fun than SoC.
I have to agree with this, though I'd personally go for Call of Pripyat over Shadow of Chernobyl. CoP has caught me in more survival-type situations so far then SoC did.

Ogami

May 8, 2015
Your missing the best Zombie Survial game, " 7 Days to Die". Its a hundred times better then State of Decay or DayZnore.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I don't feel like any of those games are really "Survival games", because survival isn't the win condition in any of them. You don't lose when you die in any of them, you just respawn or reload. I think they would be better described as "Sandbox games with a petty obsession with bodily functions."

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
-Snip-
I have to agree with this, though I'd personally go for Call of Pripyat over Shadow of Chernobyl. CoP has caught me in more survival-type situations so far then SoC did.
Hmmm... true, it did seem a bit more survival-y... and it had the better gameplay of those two... but I always preferred the atmosphere of SoC. Not sure why. Maybe it was the character and story, since you're not playing as some government guy.
Though, the Pripyat map was pretty good... ah, dammit, they were both great games. I'm sure they could share a slot >.>

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
No Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

A bit disappointed. Those are PC juggernauts effectively, and both use survival as a mechanic very well from beyond just "you need to eat to not die from not eating".

Getting caught out short on ammo in Metro is positively terrifying. At that point, it truly is just about survival.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
A buggy ArmA 2 mod and one of its trendy clones, but no Metro or STALKER? Even on hardcore mode, I've never been in a situation where I lacked 300% more food/drink items than I needed, so I don't even think I'd qualify New Vegas as survival.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Zak757 said:
A buggy ArmA 2 mod and one of its trendy clones, but no Metro or STALKER? Even on hardcore mode, I've never been in a situation where I lacked 300% more food/drink items than I needed, so I don't even think I'd qualify New Vegas as survival.
For me, survival-focused games have to be open world-ish to an extent. I can't think of Metro having an open world whatsoever. Well, but I only played like 5 hours of 2033 and its redux counterpart.

Which runs better, what is mindblowing to me.

edit: But yes, DayZ could be a good survival game, but it's neither nearly finished, has a good amount of content, runs smoothly, nor is it free from hackers in any way whatsoever as far as loud, angry users let me suggest. And these users seem to have a huge amount of backup behind them.

What I mean, is, that it seems to be so broken that I'd exclude it from the list, as well as H1Z1.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I am gonna second a vote for Call of Pripyat of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series as well.

Katherine Kerensky said:
theSovietConnection said:
-Snip-
Hmmm... true, it did seem a bit more survival-y... and it had the better gameplay of those two... but I always preferred the atmosphere of SoC. Not sure why. Maybe it was the character and story, since you're not playing as some government guy.
Though, the Pripyat map was pretty good... ah, dammit, they were both great games. I'm sure they could share a slot >.>
I personally think it was because we were all most likely introduced to the Zone and it's concepts through Shadow, so it has a special place in our hearts. Heck, even Clear Sky has it's moments.