8 Horrible Predictions By Smart People

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Horrible Predictions By Smart People

Some very smart people have made very accurate predictions of the future, these are not them. Today we look back at some of the most short-sighted predictions to ever come from a reliable source. So sit back and giggle at how wrong some people can be.

Read Full Article

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I have another one for you.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.868266-8-Games-Everyone-Will-Be-Playing-In-2015

Just a joke, don't really have an opinion on that list.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
How is this not just a list of quotes by John C Dvorak?

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ?mouse?. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I don?t want one of these new fangled devices."

to

"The Noisiest buzz in the industry lately has been over the emerging use of cable TV systems to provide fast network data transmissions using a device called a cable modem. But the likelihood of this technology succeeding is zilch."

to

"Within the decade, Microsoft should have a minimum of 300 stores. They should do as well as the Apple Stores ? [Microsoft] is going to experiment with holiday pop-up shops this year in various cities. I predict they will be hugely successful."

Of course he's a moron, and this is about supposedly smart people. Still, it started with Ballmer and he's no genius.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I have another one for you.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.868266-8-Games-Everyone-Will-Be-Playing-In-2015
Oh, snap! Shots fired, Escapist! Shots f-ing fired!

Why does every picture of Steve Ballmer posted on this site look like he's either a zombie, a serial killer or being used as the Bernie in a "Weekend at Bernie's" plot?

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances." So four years after his statement NASA launched Alan Shepard into space, proving Mr. De Forest wrong.
And one month earlier, the Soviets put Juri Gagarin into space. Come on, history isn't nationalistic.

On April 30th of 2007 Steve Ballmer, former CEO of Microsoft said "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share."
That was not a prediction. That's a can of FUD. Microsoft knew that Windows Mobile was a nice generational leap behind iOS and the iPhone, and the only way marketing people know how to act in that situation is to badmouth the competitor. It worked before (and after) for Microsoft, it didn't that time.