8 Movie-Based Video Games that Don't Suck

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
WWmelb said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Why...oh lordi, why have i not played ghostbusters?! This must be amended at the very next possible moment it can!

I would like to add recent additions such as Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor to the list, if butcher bay can make it ;)
Do you know if there is a video-game equivilent of an Uwe Boll lurking about, making terrible games based on movies they loved, but no one ever stops them because no one ever remembers their travesties?

Dat face, dat goldeneye henchman face though...is absolute comedy gold.
Because, no matter what this gallery says, Ghostbusters was fucking garbage. It is the only game ever that i didn't even finish the tutorial missions before i withdrew it from the console in disgust.

Maybe.. jsut maybe... the story was hilarious enough if you get past the god awful controls and fit inducing light show of indecipherable mess, but just.. ugh. Bad.
I don't think it was even funny. The voice acting was so phoned in, it killed a lot of the jokes outright.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
WWmelb said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Why...oh lordi, why have i not played ghostbusters?! This must be amended at the very next possible moment it can!

I would like to add recent additions such as Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor to the list, if butcher bay can make it ;)
Do you know if there is a video-game equivilent of an Uwe Boll lurking about, making terrible games based on movies they loved, but no one ever stops them because no one ever remembers their travesties?

Dat face, dat goldeneye henchman face though...is absolute comedy gold.
Because, no matter what this gallery says, Ghostbusters was fucking garbage. It is the only game ever that i didn't even finish the tutorial missions before i withdrew it from the console in disgust.

Maybe.. jsut maybe... the story was hilarious enough if you get past the god awful controls and fit inducing light show of indecipherable mess, but just.. ugh. Bad.
You are WRONG!

Well, no, it's your opinion, and I respectfully disagree with you. I loved Ghostbusters, despite its flaws on some of the bosses at the hardest difficulty (Yahtzee dubbed it the retard round up, and I can't argue with that). The only thing I felt was missing, which really should have been there, was co-op. You almost always have an AI partner with you, why couldn't I let a friend control him?

Xsjadoblayde, you really should try it. I had a blast with it and remember thinking while playing "I finally get to be a Ghostbuster! Hear that, 5-year old me? We're a Ghostbuster!"

Aah, The Warriors. A truly wonderful game, and I still long for a sequel.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
rasta111 said:
... Nice list ;)

Enter the Matrix was another one I quite enjoyed for what it was, maybe it suffered a little from being a tie-in, but as far as being an honest attempt at making a good one I think it succeeds fairly well, although many might question the wisdom of taking content away from the movies and putting it into a completely separate game many will never play... But those same people or at least a fair few others tend to criticise the movie anyway even without adding that as a factor.

Maybe they should try it and see if it improves their disposition toward said movie if they haven't already that is.
Agreed, but Path of Neo was easily the better of the Matrix games, and I think controlling Neo instead of some random nobodies is what most people wanted to do anyway.

OT: I notice one common theme with a lot of these, that being a lot of them have little to nothing to do with the plots of the movies they are based on, and even if they do there is plenty of other stuff to do besides simply the plot. I'd say it has something to do with doing this giving the games more freedom to develop most of the game far in advance or long after the release of the movie instead of having to be rushed out after a year of work at the most.

For me, both of the Amazing Spider-Man games were incredibly awesome games that I believe surpassed Spider-Man 2 in every way, better stealth, more fluid and fun combat, combat damage, more enjoyable side missions, and a much more interesting story. ASM2 was a step back though, with that crappy Hero/Menace system that the game otherwise would have been much better without, but still better overall.

WWmelb said:

I don't know about everybody else, but I never had any issues with the controls and it wasn't any more of a light show than most games tend to be (and really, it's a game about a bunch of people blasting ghosts with laser beams, of course it's going to be like a light show, what do you expect?)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Star Wars has a lot of great games. Would be nice if they got a mention on this gallery.
The Punisher game by Volition was pretty good. Evil Dead: Regeneration was also a fairly nice game.
What else... well, the aforementioned Wolverine, obviously.
If we dabble into 16-bit days, then... well, we'll never finish it, so I'll just leave Aladdin (the Genesis one) and Lion King.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Agreed, but Path of Neo was easily the better of the Matrix games, and I think controlling Neo instead of some random nobodies is what most people wanted to do anyway.
You know I never played that Path of Neo although I actually heard it was pretty bad at the time... Go figure. From what I read though it had a lot of clips and fights from the entire series, Enter the Matrix literally had stuff that wasn't in the movies (Reloaded specifically) as an addition to the story. Certain things that happen between the two outside of the main plot with Neo are never seen or explained at all as far as I remember in the actual movies unless you play the game. I don't think Path of Neo sticks that closely to the films events and changes a lot of stuff just to make it more fitting for a video game but like I said I never did play that one.

RealRT said:
Star Wars has a lot of great games. Would be nice if they got a mention on this gallery.
The Punisher game by Volition was pretty good. Evil Dead: Regeneration was also a fairly nice game.
What else... well, the aforementioned Wolverine, obviously.
If we dabble into 16-bit days, then... well, we'll never finish it, so I'll just leave Aladdin (the Genesis one) and Lion King.
I played that Punisher game, definitely agree it was one of the good ones, liked how on the PC version you had dual weapons and one mouse button would fire left and the other right. The weapon selection itself was also pretty sweet. All in all was a neat game I might like to pick up again if I could find it.

Republic Commando was a great Star Wars game deserving a mention here, too bad they never made any more.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
rasta111 said:
immortalfrieza said:
You know I never played that Path of Neo although I actually heard it was pretty bad at the time... Go figure. From what I read though it had a lot of clips and fights from the entire series, Enter the Matrix literally had stuff that wasn't in the movies (Reloaded specifically) as an addition to the story. Certain things that happen between the two outside of the main plot with Neo are never seen or explained at all as far as I remember in the actual movies unless you play the game. I don't think Path of Neo sticks that closely to the films events and changes a lot of stuff just to make it more fitting for a video game but like I said I never did play that one.
Well, it does have clips of the movies, but those don't come up that often. It follows the events of the movies to an extent, but it takes a great many liberties and adds quite a lot of side stuff that has nothing to do with any of them (i.e. the part where Neo has to escape from his office building in the first movie is redesigned so you can actually escape from the building and join up with Zeon without getting caught by the agents.) The controls and gameplay also do a pretty good job of allowing you to control Neo with most all his powers intact like you'd expect.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
rasta111 said:
immortalfrieza said:
Well, it does have clips of the movies, but those don't come up that often. It follows the events of the movies to an extent, but it takes a great many liberties and adds quite a lot of side stuff that has nothing to do with any of them (i.e. the part where Neo has to escape from his office building in the first movie is redesigned so you can actually escape from the building and join up with Zeon without getting caught by the agents.) The controls and gameplay also do a pretty good job of allowing you to control Neo with most all his powers intact like you'd expect.
Yeah, ironically I think the main problem I had with it was playing as Neo actually, some kind of lingering doubt in my mind it could actually be that good or rather an accurate portrayal of being Neo I guess. Could be wrong but I doubt I'll go back to it to be honest.

I still think Enter the Matrix was a better produced title, even if the game's developers themselves say Path of Neo was the game they really wanted to make. Playing as the 'random nobodies' just felt more immersive for me I guess.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I get that it's hard to fill out a list with good movie games, but the Ghostbusters game was fucking abysmal. The gameplay was uninspired, the visual effects obscured the action, the ally AI was irritating, and the voice acting could be charitably described as passionless. If you liked the movie, you won't like the game, because all the things that made the movie special are absent.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Personally loved the Ghostbusters Game, thought it fit in nicely with the original series and was a great send-off. I don't feel it was phoned in, and the way you actually got to explore more than just normal New York was quite interesting. I loved it for what it was, it didn't play horribly and it was one good last romp down memory lane with the original cast (RIP Harold Ramis, you'll be forever missed). It was a damn sight better than the 2nd movie too, and it tied a lot of the Ivo Shandor stuff from the first movie together which was some bit of closure. Always thought they should have explored more of that stuff in the 2nd film instead of going off-the-rails with the whole Vigo plot (however Peter MacNicol was great in that movie).... Anyway diverging from what I came here to say...

Games I'd include:

Aladdin (SEGA Genesis) quite possibly the best movie-tie in game of its era, and supremely better than the SNES counterpart
X-Men Origins Wolverine - Hands down the best movie-tie in game ever made, even if the last part sucked balls. It was so much fun I played through it multiple times before the disc wore out... wish the movies had done the Sentinels like that, because damn that would have been WAY more awesome.

Thats actually all I can add other than the obligatory Star Wars games people have already mentioned (yes I realize I was ninja'd on Wolverine, but I had to say it anyway).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Huh, must be the only one who didn't really care for the Ghostbusters game. It got really repetitive and tedious, really fast for me. I think I beat the hotel and called it quits.

And... Return of the King is way better than The Two Towers. I played the shit out of that game back in the day.