8 Nostalgic Back-To-School Games

Kevin Thielenhaus

Jan 29, 2015
8 Nostalgic Back-To-School Games

Summer is almost over, and kids are going back to face the bleak reality of daily classes, homework, tests, and all that other stuff that gets in the way of 24 / 7 gaming. But, there are a few benefits to the back-to-school season

Read Full Article

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
So here's my question: How many of you have played some of these games...on an Apple IIe? Back in the day when AAA Gaming meant Arcades, Atari, and Apple IIe?

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Oh wow, I had nearly forgotten about ClueFinders! Guess there was some nostalgia to be had on this article after all.

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
Some smart kid got the original GTA and Icy Towers installed on my primary school's computers. The macs had Kidpix and that bug shooter on them. As far as the students were concerned, the educational games did not exist.

Well except for that Oregon Trail clone about The Goldfields. Everyone tried that at least once, then realised they could be blowing up cars instead of failing to find gold.

None of the listed games made to my school. Maybe educational games were more of an American thing at the time.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Are you fucking kidding me?

A list like this without Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

So fired.

Also, no Odell Lake.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Goddamn, my school must have been poor. We had none of these. The tech lab consisted of Apple 2s with knock off versions of Math Blaster. This was circa 2000, by the way, I'm definitely not old enough that I should remember the Apple 2.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
You know, I don't think I ever did play Oregon Trail when I was a kid, or ever for that matter. Though I suppose that if I did it would have been about sixteen year ago if at all. The only other thing on this list I actually recognize is Cluefinders. I might have heard of Reader Rabbit, but nothing else is even vaguely familure. I mostly just had, and still have, the Jumpstart games when I was growing up.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It's been so long I can't even remember what the game was called, but in my computer lab in elementary school there was this one english language computer game with a mad scientist where there was this short couple paragraphs with a bunch of missing words and you were supposed to pick out the nouns and verbs and whatnot to fill in the story. Naturally, I remember laughing my ass off from picking the most absurd words the game had available and seeing the nonsensical result.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I recall some of those games, though in MY middle school math class I almost always played the DOS version DOOM.

The teacher was pretty chill and anyone who finished class work would be allowed on the (Win95/98) machines.

Got the floppy disk version of DOOM installed and spent many a half a class period killing demons.