8 of the Most Abused Videogame Characters of All Time

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Most Abused Videogame Characters of All Time

Plenty of videogame characters have it rough, but these eight take more abuse than most.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
How did Elizabeth from Bioshock not make this list?!
She's essentially kidnapped as a child, locked away in a tower for her entire life, the repeatedly tortured by her own father for years until she agrees to destroy the world!
And then in Burial at Sea, she's literally tortured to death! And that's it! That's her character arc. Life of abandonment, imprisonment, torture and then dying alone and unloved in a forgotten corner of a failed city at the bottom of the Ocean.

How many times can Lara say that's happened?!

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!
Edmund McMellin begs the deffer!!
Super Meat Boy?
Isaac?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I think we can all agree that the the Metal Gear Solid, Dark Souls and Max Payne protagonists get the worst of it and deserve our sympathy, while Nathan Drake is the most deserving twat featured. And if we can't agree then I forgive you.

Should lock 'im in a room with Kratos, the bastard.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Gordon Freeman is pretty put-upon, but he also appears to be a psychopath. Chell as well.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Silentpony said:
How did Elizabeth from Bioshock not make this list?!
She's essentially kidnapped as a child, locked away in a tower for her entire life, the repeatedly tortured by her own father for years until she agrees to destroy the world!
And then in Burial at Sea, she's literally tortured to death! And that's it! That's her character arc. Life of abandonment, imprisonment, torture and then dying alone and unloved in a forgotten corner of a failed city at the bottom of the Ocean.
Well, apart from the last part (and I can't really speak for it as I haven't played it) everything you described was explained to you, not a case of it happening in game. Everyone on the list is abused nearly (or in Dark Souls' case, literally) constantly while you play.

And I would have more sympathy for the pedestrians in the SR series, considering there's a variety of stuff to accomplish in the game that either relies upon, or is easiest to accomplish by killing them. So not only is it frequent that they're abused by accident, they're often targeted. So I would have more sympathy for them, maybe. The fact that they're all self serving assholes themselves who would rather spit on you than say hi helps alleviate that a fair bit. :p

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I can't say I have much sympathy for Kratos, considering he brings most of his problems upon himself by being an asshole to everyone. His solution apparently is to be even more of an asshole, and then be surprised when the same things keep happening to him.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR DARK SOULS THREE BASED ON THE NETWORK TEST AND TRAILERS! DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER IF YOU ARE AVOIDING SPOILERS FOR THE GAME!

At least our dark souls characters can now get a helmet polish from a fellow with a torch to soothe the horrors that they endure.

also, I'd really like to point out that in the new game for that series, from what we've seen in the network test that's been running and from trailers, you no longer really revert to being human... It's not Humanity or Human Effigies that you are consuming, It's not even Demon's Souls... You consume Embers... And when you do, your character looked... well... for lack of a better word, burned and burning. Glowing cracks into the molten flames within. Can you imagine that? Now even 'turning human' is denied to our characters, we light ourselves on fire within our skin and armour (or no armour if you are an arsehole on a PVP binge) and burn...

Sun and Fire, that is Dark. Even for Dark Souls that is dark...

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
No love for Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss? The entire world seemed designed specifically to screw Luke in as many ways as possible. Okay, it was screwing everyone pretty badly really, but Luke definitely caught the brunt of it. By the end of the game he hadn't slept in weeks from all nightmares, had been manipulated into committing the worst atrocity in history by the only person he loved, and had tried to kill himself twice just to get away from it all.

Also, nobody from Drakengard or Nier?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I read this is absurd and got really disappointed by the lack of cartoon mascots. Anyway, I can definitely agree with the list here. I feel like Waluigi is neglected if not nearly abused; he's only called upon for party games and sport games. He doesn't have his own game, he isn't a boss or playable character in the platformers, he isn't even playable in any Smash Bros...Slippy is also easily abused but at some point I think most people just want to blast the crap out of that little toad.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kratos is about as abused a brain dead bully continuously kicking a hornets nest. And Nathan Drake? All he needs to do is just stay at home. Problem solved... for everyone, really.

Abe from Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Now that guy suffers some legitimate abuse.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:
I read this is absurd and got really disappointed by the lack of cartoon mascots.
My feelings as well. I was just about to post this:

If they were still relevant, Crash, Spyro, and a few others (Bubsy? *shudders*) could easily top this list. Especially Crash. All of the various death animations [https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crash+bandicoot+deaths] over the course of the series hilariously show what abuse a cartoon mascot has to put up with.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
JCAll said:
No love for Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss? The entire world seemed designed specifically to screw Luke in as many ways as possible. Okay, it was screwing everyone pretty badly really, but Luke definitely caught the brunt of it. By the end of the game he hadn't slept in weeks from all nightmares, had been manipulated into committing the worst atrocity in history by the only person he loved, and had tried to kill himself twice just to get away from it all.

Also, nobody from Drakengard or Nier?
I can understand Nier, but Drakengard is almost a comedy in how dark it is.

Oct 22, 2011
Yeah, i'd kick out two aforementioned, uhh gentlemen from this list and replace them with:
1. Isaac from TBoI - forced to run butt naked and armed only with his own tears,from his own psychotic mother that wanted to "abort" him, into the basement that is also a portal to hell full of distorded fetus monsters and poo. Lots of poo.
2. Every Silent Hill protag ever.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
Where the hell is Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series? The guy gets murdered - twice, the second time basically being dropped into pure acid. He's also had the bones torn out from his wings, then...it turns out his soul has been the core of the Soul Reaver all this time and he might even have had awareness of it all, then ends up getting trapped inside of it again.