8 of the Most Overrated Video Game Franchises Ever

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
AzrealMaximillion said:
Anti-American Eagle said:
May I ask exactly what the point of this list was? Seems like it was made to shit on popular series more than anything else.
Right? Seems kinda Buzzfeedy.
Plus this 1 page article is spread out over 8 pages just to boost page view count... just like buzzfeed I'd guess.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Um...

Is this just a means to instigate or what?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Worgen said:
Hawki said:
Worgen said:
Oh please, the only good plot blizzard ever did was the first Diablo game...
Diablo 1 hardly has a good plot. It hardly has a plot, period.
Apparently someone never had the manual to read.
That's like saying a movie has a really good plot if you read the Wiki first.
Normally I would agree, but back in those days you were pretty much expected to read the manual for a pc game since they didn't really have tutorials back then. Plus it still has enough of the plot in game to be good, you talk to the characters and you get the story.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
revjay said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Anti-American Eagle said:
May I ask exactly what the point of this list was? Seems like it was made to shit on popular series more than anything else.
Right? Seems kinda Buzzfeedy.
Plus this 1 page article is spread out over 8 pages just to boost page view count... just like buzzfeed I'd guess.
Seen a bunch of other sites do that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"Overrated"? Did Jeff outsource the article to B-Cell or something? Alright, you described how the games are on your own words. Now, do you care to tell us how the hype describes them and how your descriptions contradicts it?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Worgen said:
Hawki said:
Worgen said:
Oh please, the only good plot blizzard ever did was the first Diablo game...
Diablo 1 hardly has a good plot. It hardly has a plot, period.
Apparently someone never had the manual to read. It's plot was fine and good. Having a ton of plot does not make it a good plot.
I have read the manual many times. However, that's more backstory rather than plot. If it's not in the game, I'm not giving it credit for it. The manual gets its praise on its own merits.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I feel like Fallout and Skyrim are far more over-rated than Fable. I haven't even heard anyone talk about fable in like two years. I recall them having a pretty lukewarm reception, too.

But no, you're right, the two most over-rated RPGs out there that lack good characterization, lively world building, intuitive gameplay, and *cough* actual RPG elements (Fallout more so than Skyrim) are definitely better comparison points for an RPG done right.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Zhukov said:
Holy cow, is this really what the Escapist is reduced to these days?
To be fair, GotD has always been at the bottom of the barrel as far as this site's content goes. Pick a random topic, pick some things everyone is aware of that fit it, and then write a few sentences of superficial explanation for the inclusion in the gallery. That's what it has always been.

Edit: no ill-will towards the creators BTW, it's just never been my cup of tea. I usually just skip straight to the comments since they're usually more entertaining.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
I sure as hell replayed the first Fable more times than I replayed Skyrim and Fallout 4 combined, and lists like this why do people get off on shitting on things other people like? I mean what was the point of this list because the only I can see is ticking off the people who like these franchises

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
So, what you're saying is that any literary garbage can be an article now?

*Cracks knuckles*

It's payday, baby!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Hey, we're now recycling forum threads from 2010 into actual content, sweet!
If that's the case, I think Sass and I deserve a paid writing gig. We can do lists just like this! :D

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Redlin5 said:
Sassafrass said:
Hey, we're now recycling forum threads from 2010 into actual content, sweet!
If that's the case, I think Sass and I deserve a paid writing gig. We can do lists just like this! :D
We could do the best lists. Lists of the best whirlpool threads, lists of the most over-rated games as voted for by the community, most neglected sections on the site (USER REVIEWS.) and the top 8 worst episodes of Game Dogs.
OK, maybe not that last one.
As it involves watching Game Dogs.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Covarr said:
the first (Halo) was revolutionary, not for any one big reason, but for a dozen small reasons. It's easy to look back on it now and not realize how important it was, but it standardized so much of what we take for granted in the genre today. Compare it against the best shooters of the time, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye 007, Quake III Arena, Starsiege: Tribes, System Shock 2, and even Half-Life, and it blows them all out of the water, despite doing almost nothing that at least one of those games hadn't done already. It didn't need to add anything new to a genre. It needed to combine a ton of things other games had already done, but do them all better, and that's just what it did.
Yeah sorry- not buying that. Your rhetoric about revolutionising and standardising all happened before with PD and Goldeneye, and Halo -while a solid shooter without any doubt- doesn't even come close to blowing away it's immediate predecesors.

Let's see:

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Timesplitters games that followed were the ones that defined how a FPS could control perfectly on a console. Halo just threw it out and emulated the PC tactic of rooting the crosshair to the centre, which is far better suited to a mouse than a gamepad. Let's look at it this way:

Goldeneye brought us:

*Fluid, console tailored controls
*Variable zoom aiming for different guns
*non-linear and highly varied level design
*Huge arsenal of weapons, all of which could be held at once
*Different objectives for each difficulty setting, with unlockable levels for higher difficulties
*Cheats, unlockable by completing difficult specific speed runs, and would not let players advance through the story when activated
*Split screen multiplayer for four people, including five modes
*Multiplayer maps tailored to 4 players or less
*Dual wielding weapons
*Emphasis on stealth and objectives over brute strength (though it was still possible)

Perfect Dark added:

*Secondary functions for all weapons
*Dual Wielding in multiplayer, four years before Halo 2
*Six modes in multiplayer
*up to 8 computer controlled bots in multiplayer, with everything customisable from skill level to tactics and preferred weapons. Friendly bots could even be ordered around during a match.
*Larger interior and exterior locations
*level starting spots and other factors dependent on actions performed in previous levels
*Co-operative mode
*Counter-operative mode
*Various single and multiplayer challenges

Halo introduced:

*Better graphics and levels being larger still
*Enhanced flanking enemy AI
*Better vehicle physics
*Regenerating health
*ported PC/Mac controls
*LAN support with up to 16 players

and so Halo removed:

*Console tailored controls
*non-linear level design
*All weapons being held at once
*Dual wielding
*Different objectives for each difficulty
*Multiplayer maps tailored to 4 players or less
*Emphasis on stealth (for the most part)
*Secondary functions
*Down to 5 multiplayer modes again
*Multiplayer bots of any kind
*A lot of the multiplayer customisation as seen in Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, and The World Is Not Enough
*Counter operative mode
*Singleplayer and multiplayer challenges

If anything, Halo pioneered a few forward steps in the console FPS market (side-steps, in the case of regen health), and the rest were big steps back in the development of the genre. Due to it's popularity, however, rivals sought to copy the bare minimum approach Halo adopted, and as a result, console FPSes have been lacking the earlier pioneering features ever since.

Hell even The World is Not Enough and Timesplitters 2 are in some ways better made games than Halo, and they both came out beforehand.