8 Pretty Good Movie Adaptations of Games

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Pretty Good Movie Adaptations of Games

Before everyone gets all flustered, let's preface the gallery with this: When you make a film adaptation of anything it's going to have to leave out some major plot points and events. These movies are still good movies that just so happen to have been based on a game that everyone loves.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I REALLY love FF:TSW.

It wasn't a 'real' FF movie, but it was a damn fine sci-fi flick.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
What? Resident Evil? What? WHAT!? I really do hope you're joking, because the "Resident Evil" movies are about as accurate to the games as the Mario movie was to the games. I've yet to hear of a single RE fan who didn't think those movies were absolute abominations. Paul W.S. Anderson hasn't made a good movie since Event Horizon (pretty much his best movie), and everything since has been a waste of celluloid. Opinions can differ, I suppose, but calling those movies Resident Evil is an insult to a great series. Same goes for Silent Hill for the most part. There are only three Resident Evil movies, and those are 4D Executor, Degeneration, and Damnation, and those films have more talent, creativity, and quality their opening credits than all of Anderson's filmed middle fingers to RE fans combined.

SoulMan007

Sep 21, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
What? Resident Evil? What? WHAT!? I really do hope you're joking, because the "Resident Evil" movies are about as accurate to the games as the Mario movie was to the games. I've yet to hear of a single RE fan who didn't think those movies were absolute abominations. Paul W.S. Anderson hasn't made a good movie since Event Horizon (pretty much his best movie), and everything since has been a waste of celluloid. Opinions can differ, I suppose, but calling those movies Resident Evil is an insult to a great series. Same goes for Silent Hill for the most part. There are only three Resident Evil movies, and those are 4D Executor, Degeneration, and Damnation, and those films have more talent, creativity, and quality their opening credits than all of Anderson's filmed middle fingers to RE fans combined.
The thing about the Resident Evil movies is that they may be bad, they are also fun to watch (at least to me and the fan base that keeps these movies in business) and they still make money at the theater. They also have been pretty smart so far about keeping their production costs low and usually releasing around the fall/Halloween season (at least in the US) which means their competition is stuff like Saw XXIIVI (Or whatever number they're at these days). These few reasons I think are one of the main reasons this series has been as successful as it has... ironically much the same reason movies like Saw get a dozen sequels.

That said, Degeneration and Damnation were actually pretty good movies that fit in the game cannon, unlike the fun nonsensical camp of the live action.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I always cringe when someone refers to "special effects" in movies as "graphics".

I really liked the Silent Hill film, and I kinda like the Resident Evil movies too due to their gratuitious action and ridiculousness, once you accept it'll never follow the game's cannon, you kinda start liking them for what they are and I'm glad they've at least made it this far as the only game based adaptation with this many sequels.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Since when was there a wide selection of video games related movies to pick from in the first place let alone any of them being "pretty good"? (Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill are only the good video game films in my view and excluding the SF animated film.)

Duffadash

May 26, 2008
These were all pretty terrible. I personally liked Silent Hill, but overall it was a pretty generic movie. A lot of these are fun, but definitely not good. Hell, ALL of the movies on the list are rated below 7.0 on IMDB. If Final Fantasy Advent: Children had been included, it would have been the sole movie with a score above 7, but for some reason Schuyler picked The Spirits Within instead...

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, I thought that the first Resident Evil was all right. It wasn't really until the third (or arguably second) film that they all started to completely bastardize the source material.

I really liked the Silent Hill movie, though I wonder to this day why they didn't just cast Sean Bean as the lead from the get-go, instead of handing him the second fiddle.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
So... I am guessing that the Super Mario movie was put in there as a joke right....

... right? ...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Okay, I know we're drawing from a relatively shallow pool of candidates here, but I can't agree with the Resident Evil inclusion. The entire thing was basically an excuse for Paul Anderson to give Milla Jovovich her own personal power fantasy; it didn't even have the decency to admit how clownish it is. Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat at least rolled with the silliness of it all.

Ah well. At least you didn't include that Wing Commander abomination. Or The House of the Dead... euuuugh.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
... Am I alone on hating the Prince of Persia movie? I feel as though nobody else disliked it; just had a sort of burning apathy towards it.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I should have expected that it would more of a list of "Varying quality adaptations of games, but just give these few to me, please" becuase it's such a small pool to draw from. But the few I've seen aren't very good and the rest don't look/are reported to have been not very good. So arguable.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
LightningFast said:
... Am I alone on hating the Prince of Persia movie? I feel as though nobody else disliked it; just had a sort of burning apathy towards it.
I'm sort of the exact opposite- far as I can tell everyone disliked it, but I couldn't really find anything wrong with it. Not amazing, but a 'fun' film all the same.

t850terminator

Nov 21, 2013
The only non-shit one that I know was Assassin's Creed: Lineage...it was pretty good, but does it count? (IDK if it was theatrically released...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Didn't watch Prince of Persia. Of the list the only really good adaptations are Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat and maybe Silent Hill. Final Fantasy doesn't really count... but Resident Evil, fun or not, is a shite adaptation of the videogame series. Same with Mario Bros.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Tanis said:
I REALLY love FF:TSW.
It wasn't a 'real' FF movie, but it was a damn fine sci-fi flick.
Likewise. And yeah, it isn't anything like Final Fantasy (aside from "the planet is alive"), but it's a good film. It reminds me fondly of Aliens.

OT: Number 1 (FF:TSW) and 2 (Silent Hill) I am totally onboard with. I own em both on DVD.

Also, I kinda liked the Prince of Perisa movie. Didn't feel the need to own it though.

The rest... meh....

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I like Mortal Kombat (It's actually better than its spurce material...), Residen Evil (The first one, because it's really entertaining and the spundtrack is pretty charming, the sequels are awful though) and Final Fantasy (Because i think it's a good movie, and it is kinda true to its source material, if you think about it. The rest are pretty awful though, Resident Evil Degeneration and Silent Hill Revelations might be some of the worst movies i've ever seen.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Duffadash said:
These were all pretty terrible. I personally liked Silent Hill, but overall it was a pretty generic movie. A lot of these are fun, but definitely not good. Hell, ALL of the movies on the list are rated below 7.0 on IMDB. If Final Fantasy Advent: Children had been included, it would have been the sole movie with a score above 7, but for some reason Schuyler picked The Spirits Within instead...
It is very odd that Advent Children is rated that highly, imo it's an awful mess of a movie, just blatant fan service that makes little sense. In my book it's almost as awful as Resdent Evil Degeneration, but just almost. Atleast it had decent animation and a couple of fun fight scenes.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
The Ace Attorney movie was good. No mention of that?

Prince of Persia was... OK,I guess? I remember nothing about it, except that there were ostriches, so at least I wasn't mad with it. Also ostriches are cool so I guess it was good?

Mortal Kombat is ok too.