8 Released Early Access Games Worth Checking Out

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Released Early Access Games Worth Checking Out

Early Access is a crap shoot at best, but these eight games emerged to successful full releases.

Read Full Article

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I take it Space Engineers wasn't included because for some reason it's still in early access which is funny given that they have boxed copies in stores. It's the first early access game I've seen to be in a physical retail store (Wal-Mart).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I want to check out Verdun but I'm A) terrible at versus games and B) have a horrific internet connection.
Does it have a single player mode like the old Battlefield games, or is it always online all the time?

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I read the first line of the KSP one as "You could totally ruin your own space program, right?" and just had to laugh at my Freudian slip...

Wait, what?

Oh. Umm, never mind.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
I take it Space Engineers wasn't included because for some reason it's still in early access which is funny given that they have boxed copies in stores. It's the first early access game I've seen to be in a physical retail store (Wal-Mart).
I love Space Engineers, but it's still technically Early Access somehow.

LordLundar said:
I read the first line of the KSP one as "You could totally ruin your own space program, right?" and just had to laugh at my Freudian slip...

Wait, what?

Oh. Umm, never mind.
How have you been watching me play Kerbal Space Program?

Spudgun Man said:
I count at least 4 of these that have now had a full release...
All of them have had a full release. That was the theme of the list.

Itsuki93

Mar 16, 2015
Crypt of the Necrodancer was more finished while it was still in early access than some of the AAA titles released. It's also surprisingly addictive too.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
No Minecraft on that list but I guess that game pretty much goes without saying these days and doesn't need anymore attention.

Also, keep in mind, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is slated for release as well and everyone is foaming at the mouth for it so I would highly recommend playing the first game as well to get started before the second one comes out.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
LordLundar said:

Wait, what?

Oh. Umm, never mind.
As a huge fan of KSP, I like to explain it this like this: If you haven't blown up a rocket today, you didn't show up for work. And then there's this scene from the film "The Right Stuff", or as I've dubbed it "How did they get footage of me playing KSP?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rwi_0DEd_0

It's almost like the Dark Souls for simulators, because it's hard but not cheap. While there are still some technical/balance issues, your spaceship not working is always because you screwed during either the design or operating phase.

It also gives me a lot of appreciation for the job NASA did going from suborbital flights to landing on the moon in about a decade, because space travel isn't easy.