8 Single-Player Games That Deserve Multi-Player

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Single-Player Games That Deserve Multi-Player

Which single-player games do you feel need a multi-player setting?

Read Full Article

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
None because they run the risk of being deluted and turned into nothing as what they orignially were. And judging current trends in Multiplayer games they will end up like this:

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
Multiplayer would only ruin most of these. Fuck multiplayer.
Isn't that why Elder Scrolls Online failed? Because it was Skyrim with multiplayer.

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
So... Ignoring the fact that there has already been Zelda games with multiplayer, and Deus Ex had one as well...

Not really selling me on any of these. We already got Skyrim Online by way of ESO, and while it has some popularity, without mods the game ends up feeling bland several hours in when you realize the best part of any Bethesda game isn't the world, it's the modding potential. As for the others? Other games have already done them better, Alien had "Alien vs Predator", then you have games like Splinter Cells merc versus agent styled asymmetrical gameplay that fits into the Batman/thief idea...

Yeah... And that is also ignoring the fact that multiplayer isn't intrinsically "deserved". Persona is an amazing game, doesn't mean it deserves multiplayer... Far from it, multiplayer being tacked onto a game is more a sign of laziness or lack of "stickiness" for the single player component.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zontar said:
canadamus_prime said:
Isn't that why Elder Scrolls Online failed? Because it was Skyrim with multiplayer.
Don't know, never played ESO. However the existence of ESO makes me wonder why Skyrim was on this list.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah. Not all games should have multiplayer. These games are so popular, because they are designed as single player experiences.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait Alien Isolation...Isolation needs muliplayer? ISSSOOOLLLLAAATTTIIIOOONNN. Pretty sure Alone in the Dark Illumination learned that lesson.

Also there is skyrim muliplayer, its called Elder Scrolls Online.

and there ARE muliplayer Zelda games. Quiet a few if I remember correctly.

A better choice would have beeen State of Decay or Hotline Miami. Hell I'd play Lost Kingdom muliplayer

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
That "deserve" multiplayer? Wow, what have these games ever done to you that you would damn them like that? Why would you dilute an excellent single player experience with penis wall sprays, twelve year olds screaming "STFU NOOB!" and idiots who think that a fourth sniper is just what your group needs?

On the gripping hand, there is just one single player game I can think of that really would benefit greatly from multiplayer, and that's Kerbal Space Program. Imagine conducting an orbital rendezvous with you controlling one craft and your friend in the other, or a joint mission to Duna with multiple landers and rovers. That would be amazing.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
"Fallout 4 already feels like you're playing a multi-player game by yourself." This nicely sums up everything wrong with Fallout 4.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
As someone who loves Co-op, I can see the reasoning behind some of these games. I would enjoy a lot of these if I cad someone by my side that could help me out when I get low.

But VS game-modes like they're suggesting? Oi, Fuck off. Alien Isolation...? Git!

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Silentpony said:
and there ARE muliplayer Zelda games. Quiet a few if I remember correctly.
Yeah, most recently there was Triforce Heroes on the 3DS, and then there was Four Swords on the GBA.
Plus, Hyrule Warriors has a co-op mode.

From those of us who don't like or want multiplayer in everything, can we please just have our single-player games and leave it at that?

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
Zontar said:
canadamus_prime said:
Don't know, never played ESO. However the existence of ESO makes me wonder why Skyrim was on this list.
ESO isn't skyrim with MP. The second people saw it, they knew it wasn't a ES game. It's in the way it is structured. You don't have the openness of the gameplay systems.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
1. I think I'm gonna pull a Blizzard here and say that you don't really want Zelda MP. Yeah, it will be novel at first but then you'll realize how easy it will be with two of you and the fact that Zelda's world isn't built at ALL around the possibility of another player.

2. OK, Hitman MP sounds awesome. But it needs to be for Blood Money.

3. Hide and seek would get pretty boring after a while. And it would either be too easy for the searchers or too hard. Competitive stealing though sounds fun.

4. Deus Ex MP would just look like either Titanfall or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare/Black Cops 3. Pick one.

5. Batman MP could be fun... Maybe...

6. See 3. for Hide and Seek gameplay. Also, play AvP2 for MP.

7. FO4? I'd rather see MP in Elder Scrolls. I'd say Borderlands comes close to this though.

8. Elder Scrolls MP? Oh yeshhhhhh. <3

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Click-bait much?

'cus absolutely none of these games would be better with multiplayer.

Given the fact that you didn't even remember that Zelda and Deus Ex already have had multiplayer, that pretty much proves how well it went.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Alien isolation multiplayer could be fun.

1-2-3-4 VS 1 kind of thing. A large/huge map where 4 players square off vs the alien. The 4 have to finish objectives throughout the map and the alien has to stop them.

Could also be 4 vs AI. With the multiplayer AI by default being: I am death incarnate.

I would play it... If I had friends who played PC games

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Personally, I'd quite enjoy a co-op campaign mode for Alien: Isolation. Would be a ton of fun to fuck over friends with noise makers and such.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I actually cringed at the thought of most of these. Mostly Thief, it felt like it was reaching for multiplayer ideas.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim already feel diluted enough as it is, I don't think co-op shenanigans could remove my problems with them. Plus y'know, it would remove or break mods, thus rendering them totally pointless.

I could see a co-op mode for Hitman where you both get a map each you you have to selectively remove people in your map to help your partner in their until you both meet up or remove the target at the end.